Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, HEPA Filter, Pressure Cooker

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineNorthernsoul
Your Reality

Loc: Inner Eye
Going to far?
    #490000 - 12/13/01 05:39 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I'm a toatal beginer and I'll be inoculating some jars pretty soon but I'm concerned with some contam issues relating to the somewhat dirty(dusty)state of most of the house. You see, this house is old and theres probably alot of mold kicking around due to the poor insulation and bad sealing around the windows etc, not only that, this place is pretty dusty with the dust blasting out of the heating vents. I was wondering if I were to totaly clean the bathroom top to bottom, even getting into the small spaces behind the toilet etc, cover the vents and or turn off the heat, cover the crack at the bottom of the door, then spray it down with alcohol and lysol, let it sit for ten min, wear a facemask and hairnet, THEN start the innoculation? Should I get a HEPA air filter too just in case of other flying contams?
Anyways, with all the "homewerk" I'm doiung on growing, I find that being sterile is like 90% of the job for getting results, so i wanna be sure about all this. Thanks everyone!

--------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------

When it comes
I'll know, I know
Just take my clothes and leave
And I'll be gone

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMklangelo
enthusiast
Loc: Continental United States
Re: Going to far? [Re: Northernsoul]
    #490024 - 12/13/01 05:54 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

You have the right approach Northernsoul, cleanliness is next to mushroom -y- ness.

If your HVAC system is blowin dust, it sounds like it's time to replace the air intake filter. It's that fuzzy white filter with the cardboard frame in the basement.

The bathroom sounds like an ok place but I can do you one better. Use the kitchen. A few things to make sure of.
1.) mop the floor, clean the counter-tops.

2.) turn off the heat and make sure you wait till the blower stops, (IMPORTANT) also close all doors to the kitchen and all windows in the entire house.

3.) Gather all your supplies for knockin' up the jars. Place all that where you can reach it when seated in front of the oven.

4.) turn oven on lowest setting. open the oven door and pull out the top rack to make a little work surface. (the hot air rising from the oven will keep airborne contams from getting in the open jar if you work quickly and efficiently)

I hope this helps. It is what I do until I get around to making that glove box...

good luck!!

--------------------
[red] Life:[/red][blue] Live it foward, understand it backward...[/blue]

OfflineShdwstr
FSRCanada
Male

Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #490031 - 12/13/01 05:58 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

The crital need for sterile proceedure is during inoculation, printing and when making your syringes. As long as you are using a pressure cooker you shouldn't have too many problems. You might want to consider some new furnace filters to help cut down on the dust problem. I replace mine every month and have the small filters on each register as well.

Enjoy

Anonymous

#490044 - 12/13/01 06:10 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Make sure to wear your snow mittens.

Offlinebiggwigg
Loc: PA
Re: Going to far? [Re: ]
    #490053 - 12/13/01 06:17 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

dont forget the lysol make sure you spray that shit around terraium 10 min before you open. if its that bad. should be good and make sure you do things fast the faster you do it the less likely contams will hit good luck and practice dont go so fast that you get carless

--------------------
I have only been wrong one time in my life.
thats when i thought i was wrong.
If its not a rave its not a party

Anonymous

Re: Going to far? [Re: biggwigg]
    #490083 - 12/13/01 06:46 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I think I personally am keeping Lysol in business.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, HEPA Filter, Pressure Cooker

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation