Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblegotyerback
SpiritualAdvisor
Female User Gallery

Re: POLL (reworded, pls re-vote) - SPLITTING THE GROW FORUMS [Re: X24]
    #4892775 - 11/04/05 07:39 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

I understand the concerns about noob clutter and the same old questions. Even with my little time here I sigh at some of the same questions you could get with a little research. But then it seems a little harsh to limit what new users can post. And some of the teks, casing for example, leave out some essential info. It is like textbooks where the beginning is super detailed, but that level of detail is left out towards the more complex concepts. This is basically a stoner site after all. How about this idea:

1 Make a list of the same old questions, what is the best strain? when do I fruit? how do I case? ......
2 Take some of the members here that post all the time and each member research one question. Make a list of links (FAQ, teks, growlogs) for each question and save as a post.
3 Then when the question pops up again, answer with a link to that post. What will happen is those posts will tend to be at the top of the post list after a while.

Does this make sense? Good idea? No?

I personally don't believe breaking up the forums even more will help and don't think we should ask more of our moderators. My $.02

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefredyjenkins
Stranger
Re: POLL (reworded, pls re-vote) - SPLITTING THE GROW FORUMS [Re: gotyerback]
    #4892786 - 11/04/05 07:48 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

We should put more teks in the cultivation section of the web site. So, less newbs would ask stupid question on the forum. I dont know why nobody is putting the forums tek over there.(scatman grains for exempel)

--------------------
-English is not my native language. So im not retarded, i'm just not very engligh articulate. Please forgive me for my bad writing! :wink: Thank you! :laugh:

Offlinekanpan
The Beast
 User Gallery

Loc: Kanbodia
Re: POLL (reworded, pls re-vote) - SPLITTING THE GROW FORUMS [Re: shirley knott]
    #4892797 - 11/04/05 07:55 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

I am someone who would be considered a newbie by post count anyway. I didn't even find the shroomery till last year and didn't register for months after that. I started growing in 2000. I grew only pf style until I found this site. I have found that by reading and searching I can find most any info I need and have almost never asked questions. While I really wouldn't care if I could post in an intermediate forum I would of course want to read it as I do the advanced now. This site has helped me greatly and I read it most days of the week but I really don't feel a need to post often.

--------------------
"Love is the Law"
"Love under Will"

OfflineShroomDave
Stranger
Re: POLL (reworded, pls re-vote) - SPLITTING THE GROW FORUMS [Re: kanpan]
    #4893312 - 11/04/05 10:50 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

I dont think that it should be split into two, because all the pros will stay with the pros and chat it up leaving all the newbs looking for help and answers find that the only other people listening are other newbs. I think keeping it an open community to discuss all topics of cultivation. Maybe split it into indoor cultivation and outdoor cultivation. That seems like a better split to me.

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: POLL (reworded, pls re-vote) - SPLITTING THE GROW FORUMS [Re: ShroomDave]
    #4893562 - 11/04/05 12:14 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

ShroomDave said:
I dont think that it should be split into two, because all the pros will stay with the pros and chat it up leaving all the newbs looking for help and answers find that the only other people listening are other newbs.

A great part of contributing to the cult forums, is answering "newbie' questions & there are those with the expertise & Patience, who enjoy doing just that. There is a sense of pride in seeing young guns - one helps get a leg up - succeed. I'm sure there will be adequate experienced hands to help anyone out - on the beginner level one, if it comes about.

--------------------

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: POLL (reworded, pls re-vote) - SPLITTING THE GROW FORUMS [Re: agar]
    #4893645 - 11/04/05 12:33 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

I agree with Agar. There will always be "pros" around willing to help. An intermediate forum would just be a place where the more seasoned growers can have discussions without all the clutter caused by the newb questions.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: POLL (reworded, pls re-vote) - SPLITTING THE GROW FORUMS [Re: gotyerback]
    #4893855 - 11/04/05 01:20 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

gotyerback said:  This is basically a stoner site after all. 

:rofl: :rotfl: :rofl2: :rotfl2: :<--unfortunately not a 3D rofl smiley yet ( :laugh:hint :laugh:)

--------------------
buh

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: POLL (reworded, pls re-vote) - SPLITTING THE GROW FORUMS [Re: ShroomDave]
    #4894013 - 11/04/05 01:44 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

ShroomDave said:
I dont think that it should be split into two, because all the pros will stay with the pros and chat it up leaving all the newbs looking for help and answers find that the only other people listening are other newbs. I think keeping it an open community to discuss all topics of cultivation. Maybe split it into indoor cultivation and outdoor cultivation. That seems like a better split to me.

taking this a step further, combining the grow forums in one forum, but giving each thread a denomination-icon, set by the poster. choices could be 1234 and could be, for example

1 (this is my first grow)
2 (i've fruited mushrooms, now i'm moving up a step!)
3 (gourmet and medicinal mushrooms)
4 (genetics, additives, mushroom science, that stuff. i've grown several crops before and understand the basics)

i wonder what it would be like to have one big 'growing mushrooms forum'  full of all culivators and would-be growers. and you can choose whether to click on 1s (newbies and teachers) 2s (experienced) 3s (edibles and medicinals) or 4s

:rofl: :rotfl: :rofl2: .......... now what about this :rotfl2: vacant icon position? there's already a great gremlin (?smiley) for (:)rofl: and (:)rofl2: and (:)rotfl, so it's available. anyone got the ability and tools to magic up a 3D gremlin rolling on the floor laughing, maybe pissing his pants or something  :grin:

--------------------
buh

Invisiblesever
Where am I?
Re: POLL (reworded, pls re-vote) - SPLITTING THE GROW FORUMS [Re: shirley knott]
    #4895311 - 11/04/05 07:56 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

~

Edited by sever (07/17/06 03:33 PM)

OfflineESanceOfCyan
MushroomMogul
Male User Gallery

Loc: SeaTown
Re: POLL (reworded, pls re-vote) - SPLITTING THE GROW FORUMS [Re: sever]
    #4895432 - 11/04/05 08:30 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Rather than splitting the forums, there should be a minimum requirement of days registered(15-30days) before you are aloud to post in any forum.
That way the non-dedicated people would abandon the site and the other new users would read the FAQs and Teks.
Or rather than a beginner forum there should be an intermediate forum and then maybe there could be a test of knowledge that would allow you to access that forum?

--------------------
Save Marc

www.emeryseeds.com
Holy dog shit! Texas? Only steers and queers come from Texas, Private Cowboy. And you don't look much like a steer to me so that kinda narrows it down. Do you suck dicks?
-Gunnery Sergeant Hartman(Full-Metal Jacket)

Edited by ESanceOfCyan (11/04/05 08:42 PM)

OfflineGliders
Oh, hello!

#4896011 - 11/04/05 11:59 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

No matter what stage of development either I or my shrooms might be in, I still benefit from seeing what may lie just ahead. Know what I mean? Plus, you'd have to define cut-off points for knowledge, experience, or stage of growth of the shrooms themselves, and I think it would all be for naught.

Just my 2c worth, and you should know that it's coming from a noob (but one who's experiencing a very successful and exciting first flush!).

--------------------

Offlinecloudcity
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: POLL (reworded, pls re-vote) - SPLITTING THE GROW FORUMS [Re: Gliders]
    #4896874 - 11/05/05 09:08 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

UPDATE THE FAQ!!

update the faq to include things like patience, respect and ettiquette

and other basic principles

a "forum-tek'
almost a cultivation tek but moreso addressing the basic ideas, where to get things, etc

all the issues that lead to the desire for splitting forums could be included here

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: POLL (reworded, pls re-vote) - SPLITTING THE GROW FORUMS [Re: cloudcity]
    #4896937 - 11/05/05 09:53 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

People don't read the FAQ now and that's half the problem. I'm for a waiting period that forces you to "listen" and not "talk" meaning you can't post, but you can get into the forums to read.

Most of the newbs that ask the basic "how much BRF/verm/water do I put in my jars?" type of questions obviously didn't have the patience to read first, didn't know what to search for, or didn't go into the cultivation section of the site at all prior to jumping into the forums. If they have a waiting period and a message that pops up with some links to the information they need prior to being able to post in the forums, they will be forced to find the information themselves and at the same time learn how/where to find it before asking a question that they could have easily gotten the answer to themselves.

Being that the problem with most of the "bad" newbs is that they aren't patient and don't read first, I think that the waiting period to post would be better than adding another forum that is sure to give the mods and intermediate members a headache from people posting in the wrong forum.

As far as tests go, I think they would have to be done pretty well or else newbs could just quickly look for the answers without really reading "between the lines", which misses the whole point of requiring a test in the first place.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

OfflineExothermic
Stranger
    #4897086 - 11/05/05 11:12 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

My dog just recently just started the hobby, and he did do alot of searching, but still felt he was really in the wrong place because here are so many learned members on the regular grow-board. I think another board for those of us who have mushroom growing dogs that only have a month or 2 of experience can still ask questions that may seem too commonplace on the regular board- would be a good idea IMO

lol
"The three P's:
- Patience
- Persistence
- Poo "

the dog of an exothermic reaction

OfflineShroominFL
crazy man
 User Gallery

#4897970 - 11/05/05 05:09 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

i say split up the forums so people don't get flamed for the lame noob questions. We've probably all asked them. The only problem is the people that can answer those questions might not be in the beg. forum anyway. And moderators will get bored of answering those noob questions after a while.

--------------------
You only live once...leave with no regrets.

OfflineA0999
Disco ish
 User Gallery

Loc: TEXUS
    #4898835 - 11/05/05 10:34 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

NO!

it would be pointless.

mushroom cult. is allready a beginers forum anyway.

open your eyes and take a look at the posts, 90% are noob posts.

--------------------
Not necessarily stoned, but beautiful

Offlinegringobonk
Stranger
Re: POLL (reworded, pls re-vote) - SPLITTING THE GROW FORUMS [Re: A0999]
    #4899000 - 11/05/05 11:17 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Here's my two cents:

The FAQ's are terrific; however, if they had a section at the end of a FAQ which could be updated on a monthly basis, describing environment variables and how their changes interact with the rest of the environment based on grower experience and a community consensus it would help out newbs and advanced grower's a like.

I've grown off and on for ~4 years. When I decided to try the PMP set up recently I had problems that I didn't see described in the FAQ or in other people's posts (I think I searched well...). Luckily some other people responded how they had resolved the issue.

A little update blurb with "problem/solution" at the end of a month to the PMP FAQ would provide anyone else having that problem a quick solution. This same approach could be applied to the other FAQ's.

Invisibleindianprincess
Stranger
Female User Gallery

Loc: On my way
Re: POLL (reworded, pls re-vote) - SPLITTING THE GROW FORUMS [Re: gringobonk]
    #4899641 - 11/06/05 06:21 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

I would like to see a third forum. Seems like a lot of the interesting threads get lost and scroll down so quickly! If the 100 post rule went in effect it would include me. I guess I would just have to get more talkative. It would be worth the effort though!

InvisibleTsinaglou
learning...
Male
Loc: midwest
Re: POLL (reworded, pls re-vote) - SPLITTING THE GROW FORUMS [Re: indianprincess]
    #4900099 - 11/06/05 10:42 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

I'm NOT in favor of splitting intermediates from beginners.  Mostly because of arbitrariness and probable inaccuracy of such a distinction. 

I AM in favor of a delay before a new member can post.  I'd say about three weeks.  Second best is a test.  If newbies look up the answers and get in quickly, well, that's the point, isn't it?  Get them into the FAQs and search function?  I like encouraging patience better, though.  Is it possible to log the number of hours someone spends on the site?  I'm sure many spend lots of time reading from the very beginning. 

I'm AGAINST using number of posts as the cut-off.  Some of us don't post all the time because we don't feel it's necessary or polite to repeat what has been said dozens or hundreds of times.  Though in the future I'll try responding with key words for searching...  And certainly there are those who often respond only with a smiley.
:crazy: Certainly that's another way to get one's posting number up.

As far as experienced people who are new members needing to jump the cue; why?  If your patient enough to already be in the hobby I imagine waiting another three weeks to post on this list isn't going to make much difference in your life...

Could a request be added in a forum "how to" that encourages clarity in thread titling?  Part of the clutter problem is seeing lots of threads that say "Help!!" or "what about this?" and not knowing what they're talking about unless the thread is opened.  Time consuming!

Thanks everyone for making this place the treasure it is!

Tsin

Edited by Tsinaglou (11/06/05 10:46 AM)

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: POLL (reworded, pls re-vote) - SPLITTING THE GROW FORUMS [Re: Tsinaglou]
    #4900117 - 11/06/05 10:46 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

>Could a request be added in a forum "how to" that encourages clarity in thread titling?

It could, but do you really think people would follow it?

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates