Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Lott Criticizes Rove
    #4885501 - 11/02/05 08:03 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

By Adam EntousTue Nov 1, 8:34 PM ET

Breaking with the White House and fellow conservatives, Republican Sen. Trent Lott (news, bio, voting record) and the head of the Cato Institute questioned on Tuesday whether top White House adviser Karl Rove, who remains in legal jeopardy in a CIA-leak probe, should keep his policy-making job.

Rove was not indicted on Friday along with Vice President Dick Cheney's chief of staff, Lewis Libby. But lawyers involved in the case said Rove, President George W. Bush's top political adviser and deputy chief of staff, remains under investigation and may still be charged by prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald.

The identity of covert CIA operative Valerie Plame was leaked to the media in July 2003 after her diplomat husband, Joseph Wilson, accused the Bush administration of twisting intelligence to justify the war in Iraq. Despite initial White House denials, Fitzgerald's investigation shows that both Rove and Libby spoke to reporters about Wilson's wife.

Lott of Mississippi and William Niskanen of the libertarian Cato Institute both echoed Democratic calls for a White House shake-up.

"He (Rove) has been very successful, very effective in the political arena. The question is, should he be the deputy chief of staff for policy under the current circumstances?" Lott told MSNBC's "Hardball."

"Most presidents in recent years have a political adviser in the White House. The question is, should they be, you know, making policy decisions. That's the question you've got to evaluate," the former Senate Republican leader added.

Lott went further than he did on Sunday, when he urged Bush to be on the lookout for "new blood, new energy, qualified staff."

Niskanen, who served as a top economic adviser to former President Ronald Reagan, said, "Bush is going to have to sacrifice people who have worked with him to regain some initiative."

Niskanen said any White House shake-up should "start" with Rove because of his association with the leak case.

"He's provided good political judgment on campaigns, but not good political judgment on getting legislation through," Niskanen told Reuters.

So far, the White House has rebuffed calls for an overhaul in response to Libby's indictment. "Karl Rove continues to do his duties," White House spokesman Scott McClellan said.

When asked if Bush retained confidence in Rove, McClellan said on Monday: "People who work here at the White House have the confidence of the president."

A Republican strategist with ties to the White House said any personnel changes would be gradual to avoid the appearance that the White House was panicking.

Libby is expected to plead innocent to charges of obstructing justice, perjury and lying when he is arraigned on Thursday.

Fitzgerald was expected to decide within weeks whether to bring charges against Rove. Lawyers involved in the case said Rove provided new information last week to Fitzgerald that prompted him to reconsider charging Bush's top political adviser with making false statements.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051102/pl_nm/bush_leak_dc

Is this the beginning of the end for Rove?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: Lott Criticizes Rove [Re: Redstorm]
    #4885512 - 11/02/05 08:07 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Note the media trope -- somehow, despite all evidence to the contrary, Wilson's wife is a covert operative.

Where do they find these clowns?

Phred

--------------------

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Lott Criticizes Rove [Re: Phred]
    #4885515 - 11/02/05 08:08 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Regardless of how much Yahoo News sucks, what do you think of Lott's criticism?

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #4885529 - 11/02/05 08:13 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Redstorm said:
Regardless of how much Yahoo News sucks, what do you think of Lott's criticism?

I find misspellings in Yahoo News all of the time.

I still haven't seen concrete evidence that Rove did anything wrong. If he did...then fire his ass. If he didn't then people need to leave him alone.

When I hear Lott speak I can't help but imagine black people swinging from nooses.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#4885548 - 11/02/05 08:20 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

I think he's nuts.

Rove did nothing wrong. Bush values his advice. He's Bush's advisor, not Lott's.

Look, everyone knows that even a borderline incompetent prosecutor (i.e. Ronnie Earle) can get a grand jury to indict a ham sandwich. So why hasn't Rove -- after two freaking years of this circus -- been indicted yet? Derrr.... maybe it's because he didn't do anything?

The Dems have jumped the shark long ago. This pitiful stunt they pulled last night -- crying for more transparency in government by kicking out the press and public for a coupla hours so they could foam and gibber in private -- was yet another instance of their sticking a fork in their head in a futile attempt to appease the Angry Left.

I haven't the foggiest idea what Lott's agenda is in making this recommendation, but we've long known Lott isn't the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, so speculation on his motive isn't a high percentage move.

Phred

--------------------

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4885561 - 11/02/05 08:24 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

I have no clue whether or not Rove is guilty of anything, but it's just plain weird for Lott to pull something like this, especially with the who circus atmosphere in Washington lately.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#4885635 - 11/02/05 08:43 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

You call it weird, I call it nuts. Perhaps he's off his medication. Who knows?

Phred

--------------------

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4885714 - 11/02/05 08:58 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Doesn't bother me. I never liked the guy to begin with, so it's not much of a departure from my original beliefs.

InvisibleLucidDream
Hungry BlueFiend
 User Gallery

Loc: Planet of the Stupid Peop...
    #4885871 - 11/02/05 09:35 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Allow me to explain: when the media helped fuel the big stink around Lott's remarks about Thurmond, who do you think was the person who initially put out the word that Lott was dead meat, that he should be shunned and would step down? Karl Rove. Lott has a huge knife in his back with Karl Rove's name on it. There is no love lost there. Lott has waited a long while to say this, and obviously he has considered his moment carefully. And being a coward, Lott has finally judged that Rove will never again be in a position to do him harm. Think about that for a minute. That is an amazing declaration of faith from Trent Lott, certainly an announcement of his imminent retirement if he's wrong. I think Lott may be jumping too soon, but he probably knows much more about what's going on than we do. An interesting development. Lott bails on Rove. Another brick in the wall.

--------------------
Sarcasm just one of my many talents.

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
Re: Lott Criticizes Rove [Re: LucidDream]
    #4888593 - 11/03/05 12:38 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

i think the point is Bush needs new policy makers if he wants to stop sucking.

--------------------
1. "After an hour I wasn't feeling anything so I decided to take another..."
2. "We were feeling pretty good so we decided to smoke a few bowls..."
3. "I had to be real quiet because my parents were asleep upstairs..."

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: Lott Criticizes Rove [Re: LucidDream]
    #4888782 - 11/03/05 01:21 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

interesting point of view.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom