Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

My Yopo Stick.
    #4714133 - 09/26/05 12:37 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

So in preparation for Rita I put all my potted plants in the garage and headed for high ground. This involved me cutting back my riveas till I could move the pot without moving the trellis. Everything made it out alright, except my 18 month old Anadenanthera Peregrina tree that I had grown from seed. It was such a nice size too, about two feet high and healthy. When I pulled it out of the garage the leaves were looking bad (taking a brownish color and many had already fallen off) I gave it some water and set it back in it's usual spot and when I looked out this morning it was a stick with no leaves. I'm not entire sure it's dead, as it's come back from loosing ALMOST all of it's leaves before, but it worries me a great deal. It definately didn't take well to the three days in the total darkness of my garage. I'm not going to toss it just yet though. Any thoughts?

--------------------

Without love in the dream
It will never come true

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleTaskenti
MadPsycho

Re: My Yopo Stick. [Re: Hooty]
    #4714150 - 09/26/05 12:41 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

If it has NO leaves its prolly not gonna survive, If it has any leaves at all then it may survive. If it were me (I know nothing about this particular plant) I would try to take a cutting from any part with leaves on it.

--------------------
CIVIC IS Mycoshack!! Be careful trading with him!!
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showthreaded.php/Cat/0/Number/5686915/page/0/vc/1

OfflineAumakua
Stranger

#4714303 - 09/26/05 01:09 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I would continue to water it and make sure it gets plenty of sun.Often time if the tree is alive but the leaves have browned and fallen,plenty of sun and watering should prompt the tree to regrow new leaves in about 2 weeks.Ive saved trees of mine this way when I went on vacation and the housesitter unplugged the timer.When I had gotten back the trees looked much like your tree.

InvisibleTaskenti
MadPsycho

Re: My Yopo Stick. [Re: Aumakua]
    #4714393 - 09/26/05 01:23 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

oh its a tree! i misread the post. thought it was a plant.

--------------------
CIVIC IS Mycoshack!! Be careful trading with him!!
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showthreaded.php/Cat/0/Number/5686915/page/0/vc/1

OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

Re: My Yopo Stick. [Re: Taskenti]
    #4716691 - 09/26/05 08:11 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

yes it is a tree, and i take it back. there are maybe two very damaged leaves. put i did the clasic fingernail test on the bark, it's green underneath. i think it'll make a comeback.

--------------------

It will never come true

OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

#4737232 - 09/30/05 02:14 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Well all the last reminents of leaves fell of yesterday, and today I can already see what looks to be the tree putting out new leaves. It hasn't even been a week. If it comes back full swing I'm going to repot it in mid october. It's a hell of a fighter.

--------------------

It will never come true

OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

#4862274 - 10/28/05 01:09 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

likely no one will care, but for anyone who might find it interesting, my yopo plant is now putting out branches where the leaves that fell off where. It's really thriving; much hardier plant than I imagined.

--------------------

It will never come true

OfflineVertigo6911
Entheobotanist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Netherlands
    #4862460 - 10/28/05 03:23 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

its not for lack of caring, but it seems like every1 has gone skiing or something...
its been boring as a mofo the last week or so...

--------------------
-Know ye not that ye are gods?-
My homepage

OfflineSchwip
Never sleeps.
 User Gallery

#4862585 - 10/28/05 05:59 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Glad to hear your yopo seems to be pulling through :smile:

They can be finicky plants......and any changes in environment can cause leaf dropping......

But short of a bad cold snap or severe damage to its roots, they seem to  recover most of the time

--------------------
--------------------------------

" If the sky were to suddenly open up there would be no law. There would be no rule. There would only be you and your memories... the choices you've made, and the people you've touched. If this world were to end there would only be you and him and no-one else. "

"MAN! You know there aint no such thing as left over crack!"

InvisibleKoala Koolio
TTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGG

Re: My Yopo Stick. [Re: Schwip]
    #4862803 - 10/28/05 09:02 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Have any good links for details on how to grow one of these successfully?

--------------------
You're not like the others. You like the same things I do. Wax paper, boiled football leather... dog breath. We're not hitch-hiking anymore, we're riding!

OfflineSchwip
Never sleeps.
 User Gallery

Re: My Yopo Stick. [Re: Koala Koolio]
    #4862844 - 10/28/05 09:23 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

some pretty good info:

http://shaman-australis.com.au/shop/index.php?cPath=21_26_53

also search around the forums over there at shaman-australis......

viable seed is a must(as it wont stay good for more the 3-4 months i think)....and once your plants are established and get over that one or two foot mark, they grow pretty well and only need lots of sun :smile:

--------------------
--------------------------------

" If the sky were to suddenly open up there would be no law. There would be no rule. There would only be you and your memories... the choices you've made, and the people you've touched. If this world were to end there would only be you and him and no-one else. "

"MAN! You know there aint no such thing as left over crack!"

OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

Re: My Yopo Stick. [Re: Schwip]
    #4863839 - 10/28/05 02:48 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

just don't forget the bean or pea inoculation for the nitrogen fixing bacteria. essentially this just means that whatever pot you plant it in, once it becomes an established seedling (puts out a true leaf or two) you should plant a couple of beans and/or peas in the pot with it, and then once they start putting out leaves, pinch them off at the ground and let them die (the peas and beans, not the yopo). this provides the soil with nitrogen fixing bacteria.

--------------------

It will never come true

OfflineLimpet_Chicken
Stranger
Loc: England
    #4878604 - 11/01/05 06:30 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

I have not yet been able to inoculate my yopo trees, I have around 8 of them, all Colubrinas, all grown from seed.

I have them in a light compost, some are just little sprouts with about two inch of growth and 4-5 leaves, but the oldest ones are a year old, and are about 3 foot tall.

I do get some problems with leaf yellowing followed by shedding of the needles and leaf drop, but this typically happens on a pair of two leaves near the bottom, whilst the top shoots right up.

So far, they seem strong and healthy.

One strange thing I noticed, is that the Colubrinas all have small red glands on the base of the leaf stems, from which oozes out a sticky sugary nectar type substance, the consistency of glucose syrup or glycerine, very sweet tasting and sticky, I looked it up and found no information on that, and none from the folks at entheology.org who grow yopo, they couldn't even see the glands on their plants.

Anyone know if perhaps some subspecies might have a symbiotic relationship with insects? like some mimosas and acacias have with tropical ants?

--------------------
The light blinds

So behold darkness as our new light

In our darkness we can see

So with others blindness

We take flight.

OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

Re: My Yopo Stick. [Re: Limpet_Chicken]
    #4882171 - 11/01/05 11:19 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

yeah i've noticed these red spots too, on my peregrina, and they attract ants like mad. As a matter of fact an ant bed has been contructed directly underneath the pot my peregrina is in. I don't know if it's exactly symbiotic, but I can't imagine it being harmful to the tree. If anything the ants keep destructive insects at bay, as I've never had an insect problem on my yopo, where as on other plants I have. Of course yopos aren't very leafy either, so who knows. It's kind of interesting anyway.

--------------------

It will never come true

OfflineLimpet_Chicken
Stranger
Loc: England
    #4882564 - 11/02/05 04:46 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Well, quite a few species of mimosa and acacia trees construct nectar glands, or little packets of protein with which to feed ants, some even have swollen structures which house the ant colonies themselves, in return for that, the ants viciously attack any plant or animal that latches onto the tree.

They are not harmful to th trees, they don't eat them or anything, but actually provide protection in the form of thousands of sharp nasty biting, stinging insects.

--------------------
The light blinds

So behold darkness as our new light

In our darkness we can see

So with others blindness

We take flight.

OfflineVertigo6911
Entheobotanist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Netherlands
Re: My Yopo Stick. [Re: Limpet_Chicken]
    #4882611 - 11/02/05 06:02 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

yup ants are good.

one example of a true symbiosis is the carnivorous Nepenthes,
the malaysian pitcher plant:
http://www.cambridge2000.com/gallery/images/P5075559e.jpg

they go in and feed on the carcasses of caught insects
wich helps the trap last longer and also every now and then one falls in and feeds the plant.

--------------------
-Know ye not that ye are gods?-
My homepage

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder