Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesmoke2mux
Stranger
No syringe, no sterility, 100% success
    #400658 - 09/22/01 07:50 AM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Recently, I tried cultivating shrooms the old PF/MMGG way. The strain was likely Gulf Coast, at least looks very much like gc pics.

The experiment succeeded, but the yield was poor and the whole technique seemed outdated with all the semi-lab procedures and stuff.

So I read the teks here in Shroomery and elsewhere, and got very intrigued by Nomi's method and the Timothy Hay Cob tek (Find / Grow section, Growing P. Cubensis).

So I collect grass, cook it for one hour, wring it dry and dig up the survived pieces of PF cakes from my verm casings, to crumble some in each grass container (I just kept the grass in the kettle after wringin the excess water and let it incubate in said kettle under my desk).

Had two three-liter jars with lids. Put the mycelified grass in the bottom, approx. one liter of grass-mycelium, and covered the lower third of the jar with Al foil and tape. Didn't screw the lids down, ventilated the jars now and then, sometimes gently tipped them over to let out water accumulated in the bottom (next time I'll use plastic bucket with a hole in the bottom). Kept in a closet with a low power consumption mini-fluoro light well away from the jars as to not heat them but to give adequate light.

Got shrooms? GOT SHROOMS! Bigger, faster than from rice/verm cakes.

OK, Ok, until here there's nothing new. Hay tek combined with fast food of the gods. Still needed spawn initially grown in jars. Here's what's new:

Put some of the pasteurized hay in a jar. Put a fresh, biggie shroom cap on top of grass. Took it out the next day, had nice spore print on grass. Close the jar, shake well, cover with Al foil and let incubate for two weeks - wispy mycelium all over. Use as spawn. Remember there's a VAST excess of spores in a biggie spore print... it's a massive inoculation.

I think I'm now well on my way to cultivating mushrooms not only from spawn but also right from spores without ever having to handle rubbing alcohol or vermiculite or even having to buy empty syringes. No pressure cooking, no air filters, no nothing!

Comments, improvements?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMiastor
journeyman
Re: No syringe, no sterility, 100% success [Re: smoke2mux]
    #400690 - 09/22/01 09:12 AM (22 years, 6 months ago)

You used plain green grass out of your yard? What kind of yield did you get per weight of substrate with this tek? Have you tried spawning a mass amount of grass with rye berries yet for a little faster colonization?

Offlinesmoke2mux
Stranger
Re: No syringe, no sterility, 100% success [Re: Miastor]
    #400824 - 09/22/01 01:13 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Mostly Phalaris grass and such from the nature. Not much grass seeds, and the bigger stems and roots were removed.

I think the rye berries would need 100% sterility.. what I'm after is making the procedure as easy as brewing beer or growing pot.

Anonymous

#401384 - 09/23/01 03:46 AM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Post Deleted a la Obscurity

OfflineCandyKid
Stranger
    #487503 - 12/11/01 02:34 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

What was your total yeild from this tek from each jar?

I wonder if the same would work with wheat straw...

Do you have any pics you could post?

OfflineDinoMyc
Ipsa scientiapotestas est
Re: No syringe, no sterility, 100% success [Re: ]
    #487759 - 12/11/01 06:01 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Don't jump all over him, if this works, it's an interesting alternative.. now, hay and straw substrates have been around since nearly the beginning of mushroom cultivation.. but if lawn clippings work, I say hell yeh..

--------------------
If I made affront, I apologize.
If I made affirmation, I apologize.
I merely came to listen, came to say.

OfflineJammer
Computers areMORE Addictive!

Loc: (God's Country) - USA
Re: No syringe, no sterility, 100% success [Re: DinoMyc]
    #487763 - 12/11/01 06:05 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

hell yea...

' nothing to say that one cant just walk out into a field a grab an armload of dead weeds and, after sterlizing/pasterizing, use it for substrat.

--------------------
>>Jammer>>

Edited by Jammer (12/11/01 06:06 PM)

OfflineSThomas
enthusiast
Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
Re: No syringe, no sterility, 100% success [Re: Jammer]
    #487781 - 12/11/01 06:27 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Hey I believe him, I am currently working on similar low-teks, using wood mulch indoors, no sterility nothin but moist wood and prints. I just took some wood chips that did not have any mycylium growth on it and moistened well and put a print in top of it. After a couple of weeks there is mycelium growing in the same spot...we shall see how this tek holds up, but so far there are no contams and I think it may work. I would also like to try this using grass/grain lovers as well. I believe that if you are looking for a complete control and high yield, sterility is important. Mushrooms did come from nature however and natural conditions can be mimicked indoors as well. Remember when we sterilize a substrate, we leave it wide open for contaminations to happen. Just my two cents worth. I will keep you up to speed on my success or failures...Cheers

--------------------
And that is all the news that's fit to print

OfflineJammer

Re: No syringe, no sterility, 100% success [Re: SThomas]
    #487785 - 12/11/01 06:32 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

I'm being serious. I dint mean for my previous message to sound sarcastic, I didnt mean it that way. Fungus feeds on organic matter and it dosent seem to be too picky about what organic matter that is.

--------------------
>>Jammer>>

OfflineJammer

Re: No syringe, no sterility, 100% success [Re: SThomas]
    #487793 - 12/11/01 06:36 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

I find your experiments extremely interesting. (seriously) Please keep us up to date ASP. I think that your on to something!

--------------------
>>Jammer>>

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract