Home | Community | Message Board

Reliable Spores
Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleAlex213
Stranger
Registered: 08/22/05
Posts: 1,839
Re: Libby Indicted. Libby Resigns [Re: Phred]
    #4870514 - 10/30/05 02:15 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I have also provided at least one post with links (to GazzBut) containing excerpts from both the Butler Report and the SIC Report. That post even contained the page numbers of the reports where the posted excerpts appear.


Presumably none of these said Wilson lied and you have simply interpreted the evidence to mean that.

You don't feel any admiration for Wilson for having the balls to stand up and call bullshit on Bush's WMD claims?


Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Registered: 10/19/00
Posts: 12,949
Loc: Dominican Republic
Last seen: 6 years, 6 months
Re: Libby Indicted. Libby Resigns [Re: Alex213]
    #4870847 - 10/30/05 03:50 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Interpretation?

When Wilson tells the CIA one thing in his debriefing to the CIA -- that officials of the government of Niger told him they were approached by a delegation from Iraq seeking to renew trade with the one-industry (yellowcake) country and that those same officials interpreted that to mean they wanted to buy yellowcake, but then says the exact opposite in his op-ed piece in the NY Times, then any reasonable person must conclude he was lying either in his op-ed piece in the Times or that he was lying to the CIA. Sorry, but there are no other alternatives -- the only decision to be made is who he was lying to, the public or the CIA.

Same with his claim he saw the forged documents. That is detailed in the reports, and -- as I have pointed out already -- Wilson himself was forced to admit he "misspoke" to reporters about seeing them.

Same with his claim his wife had nothing to do with landing him the assignment -- that is thoroughly addressed in both reports.

Does either report contain anywhere in it the phrase "Wilson lied"? Nope. They just contain enough information for anyone who can read to conclude he did lie, repeatedly.




Phred


--------------------


Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Registered: 02/11/04
Posts: 81,741
Loc: Fractallife's gym
Last seen: 5 years, 2 months
Re: Libby Indicted. Libby Resigns [Re: Phred]
    #4871024 - 10/30/05 04:26 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)



--------------------


Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Registered: 10/19/00
Posts: 12,949
Loc: Dominican Republic
Last seen: 6 years, 6 months
Re: Libby Indicted. Libby Resigns [Re: zappaisgod]
    #4871185 - 10/30/05 05:05 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for providing those, zappaisgod. Much appreciated.




Phred


--------------------


Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Registered: 10/08/02
Posts: 44,174
Last seen: 4 years, 11 months
Re: Libby Indicted. Libby Resigns [Re: zappaisgod]
    #4871211 - 10/30/05 05:13 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

When I click on the link, I get:

"Error: The URL contains too many segments."


Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Registered: 02/11/04
Posts: 81,741
Loc: Fractallife's gym
Last seen: 5 years, 2 months
Re: Libby Indicted. Libby Resigns [Re: Redstorm]
    #4871347 - 10/30/05 05:46 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I don't. I get right there


--------------------


Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Registered: 10/08/02
Posts: 44,174
Last seen: 4 years, 11 months
Re: Libby Indicted. Libby Resigns [Re: zappaisgod]
    #4871351 - 10/30/05 05:48 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

That's weird. Every time I click on it I get the same error message. Must be a problem on my side.


Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
OfflineAncalagon
AgnosticLibertarian

Registered: 07/30/02
Posts: 1,364
Last seen: 12 years, 5 months
Re: Libby Indicted. Libby Resigns [Re: Redstorm]
    #4871365 - 10/30/05 05:52 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Try copying and pasting it into your URL box.


--------------------
?When Alexander the Great visted the philosopher Diogenes and asked whether he could do anything for him, Diogenes is said to have replied: 'Yes, stand a little less between me and the sun.' It is what every citizen is entitled to ask of his government.?
-Henry Hazlitt in 'Economics in One Lesson'


Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Registered: 10/19/00
Posts: 12,949
Loc: Dominican Republic
Last seen: 6 years, 6 months
Re: Libby Indicted. Libby Resigns [Re: daimyo]
    #4872363 - 10/30/05 09:31 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Libby Case a ?Slam Dunk?, But Leaker on the Loose
by Scott Ott

(2005-10-28) ? Unnamed sources close to Patrick Fitzgerald today said the special prosecutor believes the five-count grand jury indictment against vice presidential Chief of Staff Lewis ?Scooter? Libby is ?a slam dunk.?

However, even after Mr. Fitzgerald?s two-year probe, anonymous sources acknowledged that the person who leaked Valerie Wilson?s CIA identity is ?still out there somewhere?.

?The leaker poses a clear and present danger to the national security of the United States,? said a Fitzgerald associate who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he could. ?But mark my unattributed words, Pat Fitzgerald won?t rest until that treacherous leaker is behind bars.?

Meanwhile, columnist Robert Novak, who first revealed Mrs. Wilson?s CIA status, remains at large.

http://www.scrappleface.com/?p=2050





Phred


--------------------


Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
InvisibleLucidDream
Hungry BlueFiend
 User Gallery

Registered: 05/09/03
Posts: 1,496
Loc: Planet of the Stupid Peop...
Re: Libby Indicted. Libby Resigns [Re: Phred]
    #4873338 - 10/31/05 01:00 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Phred said:
I've done my job.




My response contains several sources, something I have yet to see you cite, beyond vague references to the Butler report and the Senate Select Intelligence Committee's report. Let?s start first by demolishing the claim that his wife sent him:

Update on the Lies of Ambassador Wilson
By Larry Johnson

The radical right is desperate and grasping at straws in the wake of Scooter Libby's indictment. They are carrying copies to most TV interviews of the report by the Senate Intelligence Committee from July 2004 regarding what the intelligence community knew and reported on Iraq's weapons of mass destruction. One poor soul on Wolf Blitzer the other day tried reading from it in a desperate bid to try to make Joe Wilson the focus of the story. Sorry guys, Joe didn't get indicted for perjury, Scooter did. Let's keep our liars list up to date. Okay?

That said, it is also worth noting that the Senate Intel report is an abomination. It is full of misleading information and was deliberately crafted to shield Vice President Cheney and his staff from scrutiny. Unfortunately, the Democrats rolled over and signed off on the report.

Following is a rebuttal to the charges by Joe Wilson in a letter to Senators Pat Roberts (R-Asshole) and Jay Rockefeller (D-Dumbfuck):

Dear Senator Roberts and Senator Rockefeller,

I read with great surprise and consternation the Niger portion of Senators Roberts, Bond and Hatch "additional comments to the Senate Select Intelligence Committee's Report on the U.S. Intelligence Community's Prewar Assessment on Iraq. I am taking this opportunity to clarify some of the issues raised in these comments.

First conclusion: "The plan to send the former ambassador to Niger was suggested by the former ambassador's wife, a CIA employee."

That is not true. The conclusion is apparently based on one anodyne quote from a memo Valerie Plame, my wife sent to her superiors that says "my husband has good relations with the PM (prime minister) and the former Minister of Mines, (not to mention lots of French contacts) both of whom could possibly shed light on this sort of activity." There is no suggestion or recommendation in that statement that I be sent on the trip. Indeed it is little more than a recitation of my contacts and bona fides. The conclusion is reinforced by comments in the body of the report that a CPD reports officer stated the "the former ambassador's wife `offered up his name'" (page 39) and a State Department Intelligence and Research officer that the "meeting was `apparently convened by [the former ambassador's] wife who had the idea to dispatch him to use his contacts to sort out the Iraq-Niger uranium issue."

In fact, Valerie was not in the meeting at which the subject of my trip was raised. Neither was the CPD Reports officer. After having escorted me into the room, she departed the meeting to avoid even the appearance of conflict of interest. It was at that meeting where the question of my traveling to Niger was broached with me for the first time and came only after a thorough discussion of what the participants did and did not know about the subject. My bona fides justifying the invitation to the meeting were the trip I had previously taken to Niger to look at other uranium related questions as well as 20 years living and working in Africa, and personal contacts throughout the Niger government. Neither the CPD reports officer nor the State analyst were in the chain of command to know who, or how, the decision was made. The interpretations attributed to them are not the full story. In fact, it is my understanding that the Reports Officer has a different conclusion about Valerie's role than the one offered in the "additional comments". I urge the committee to reinterview the officer and publicly publish his statement.

It is unfortunate that the report failed to include the CIA's position on this matter. If the staff had done so it would undoubtedly have been given the same evidence as provided to Newsday reporters Tim Phelps and Knut Royce in July, 2003. They reported on July 22 that:

"A senior intelligence officer confirmed that Plame was a Directorate of Operations undercover officer who worked `alongside' the operations officers who asked her husband to travel to Niger.

"But he said she did not recommend her husband to undertake the Niger assignment. `They (the officers who did ask Wilson to check the uranium story) were aware of who she was married to, which is not surprising,' he said. `There are people elsewhere in government who are trying to make her look like she was the one who was cooking this up, for some reason,' he said. `I can't figure out what it could be.'

"We paid his (Wilson's) airfare. But to go to Niger is not exactly a benefit. Most people you'd have to pay big bucks to go there,' the senior intelligence official said. Wilson said. he was reimbursed only for expenses." (Newsday article Columnist blows CIA Agent's cover, dated July 22, 2003).

As for this ?claim he saw the forged documents,? there?s more at the link:
http://www.tpmcafe.com/story/2005/10/30/18754/437

Next, in response to the claims of an attempt to purchase uranium from Niger (this from no less a source than factcheck.org, though admittedly they?re full of shit most of the time, at : http://www.factcheck.org/article222.html )

The Senate report said the CIA then asked a "former ambassador" to go to Niger and report. That is a reference to Joseph Wilson -- who later became a vocal critic of the President's 16 words. The Senate report said Wilson brought back denials of any Niger-Iraq uranium sale, and argued that such a sale wasn't likely to happen. But the Intelligence Committee report also reveals that Wilson brought back something else as well -- evidence that Iraq may well have wanted to buy uranium.

Wilson reported that he had met with Niger's former Prime Minister Ibrahim Mayaki, who said that in June 1999 he was asked to meet with a delegation from Iraq to discuss "expanding commercial relations" between the two countries.

Based on what Wilson told them, CIA analysts wrote an intelligence report saying former Prime Minister Mayki "interpreted 'expanding commercial relations' to mean that the (Iraqi) delegation wanted to discuss uranium yellowcake sales." In fact, the Intelligence Committee report said that "for most analysts" Wilson's trip to Niger "lent more credibility to the original Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) reports on the uranium deal."


Seymour Hersh of the New Yorker picks up the story:
http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/?031027fa_fact

Wilson told me he was informed at the time that the mission had come about because the Vice-President?s office was interested in the Italian intelligence report. Before his departure, he was summoned to a meeting at the C.I.A. with a group of government experts on Iraq, Niger, and uranium. He was shown no documents but was told, he said, that the C.I.A. ?was responding to a report that was recently received of a purported memorandum of agreement??between Iraq and Niger??that our boys had gotten.? He added, ?It was never clear to me, or to the people who were briefing me, whether our guys had actually seen the agreement, or the purported text of an agreement.? Wilson?s trip to Niger, which lasted eight days, produced nothing. He learned that any memorandum of understanding to sell yellowcake would have required the signatures of Niger?s Prime Minister, Foreign Minister, and Minister of Mines. ?I saw everybody out there,? Wilson said, and no one had signed such a document. ?If a document purporting to be about the sale contained those signatures, it would not be authentic.? Wilson also learned that there was no uranium available to sell: it had all been pre-sold to Niger?s Japanese and European consortium partners.

Wilson returned to Washington and made his report. It was circulated, he said, but ?I heard nothing about what the Vice-President?s office thought about it.? (In response, Cathie Martin said, ?The Vice-President doesn?t know Joe Wilson and did not know about his trip until he read about it in the press.?


We now know, thanks to Scooter Libby?s indictment, that the Vice President and his spokeswoman were lying through their teeth: Libby learned of Valerie Wilson?s identity and CIA assignment from Cheney, who got it from Tenent:

WASHINGTON, Oct. 24 - I. Lewis Libby Jr., Vice President Dick Cheney's chief of staff, first learned about the C.I.A. officer at the heart of the leak investigation in a conversation with Mr. Cheney weeks before her identity became public in 2003, lawyers involved in the case said Monday.
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/25/politi...EOqLVHi97B9NkYw

Getting back to Phred: I think that you and others of your ilk do the Shroomery community a grave disservice when you spread this crooked administration?s lies and propaganda here on the board. Most Shroomerites are smart enough to know that the government is full of shit, but here you are spreading the talking points like a faithful little foot-soldier. You do the dirty work of thugs and criminals.


--------------------
Sarcasm just one of my many talents.



Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
InvisibleAlex213
Stranger
Registered: 08/22/05
Posts: 1,839
Re: Libby Indicted. Libby Resigns [Re: Phred]
    #4873511 - 10/31/05 01:54 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Does either report contain anywhere in it the phrase "Wilson lied"? Nope.

As I expected. Then your sources don't support your claim that "Wilson lied".

They just contain enough information for anyone who can read to conclude he did lie, repeatedly.


Perhaps in the mind of someone who still believes WMD exist and that Bush never lied once during the countless untruths he told about WMD. That however is nowhere near "proof".

If you wish to claim you have "proved" this you will need an awful lot more backup than your personal interpretation.


Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
InvisibleAlex213
Stranger
Registered: 08/22/05
Posts: 1,839
Re: Libby Indicted. Libby Resigns [Re: Phred]
    #4873547 - 10/31/05 02:02 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for providing those, zappaisgod. Much appreciated

Is this your "evidence" you meant? A pathetically biased and childish right-wing op-ed that links to other heavily biased op-eds? To call this site fucking drivel would be a compliment.

You claimed the Butler report supported your claim. Please post the section you believe does so.


Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Registered: 10/19/00
Posts: 12,949
Loc: Dominican Republic
Last seen: 6 years, 6 months
Re: Libby Indicted. Libby Resigns [Re: Alex213]
    #4874391 - 10/31/05 11:20 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

So you've never read the Butler Report? Didn't think so.

See, that's the difference between you and me, Alex213 -- when I'm told by some pundit that "such and such a report says so and so" I don't take him at his word, I read the report. Thankfully, today we live in a world where there is such a thing as "the internet". The internet usually (but not always, particularly in the case of pre-internet era documents) supplies us the means to examine documents in their entirety without having to go to libraries and read paper copies, or obtaining paper copies through the Freedom of Information Act (or whatever the UK equivalent of that act may be) -- we can find them online through the use of internet search engines such as Yahoo or Google.

As it turns out, the Butler Report is available in its entirety online. So is the report of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence. You would do well to read them before posting further on this subject in order to save yourself further embarassment.





Phred


--------------------


Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
InvisibleAlex213
Stranger
Registered: 08/22/05
Posts: 1,839
Re: Libby Indicted. Libby Resigns [Re: Phred]
    #4875470 - 10/31/05 04:21 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I have asked you repeatedly for the sentence in the Butler report that says "Wilson is a liar". As expected you have failed to provide it. I'm not interested in your extremely unreliable "interpretation" of the evidence, I'm interested in the evidence.

Can you backup your claim with any evidence? Or are right-wing op-eds the most we can expect from you?


Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
InvisibleAlex213
Stranger
Registered: 08/22/05
Posts: 1,839
Re: Libby Indicted. Libby Resigns [Re: Phred]
    #4875524 - 10/31/05 04:35 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I notice you went awfully quiet when Lucid posted the article thoroughly debunking your "claim".

As Lucid pointed out:

Quote:

Getting back to Phred: I think that you and others of your ilk do the Shroomery community a grave disservice when you spread this crooked administration?s lies and propaganda here on the board. Most Shroomerites are smart enough to know that the government is full of shit, but here you are spreading the talking points like a faithful little foot-soldier. You do the dirty work of thugs and criminals.





Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Registered: 10/03/04
Posts: 8,978
Loc: South Texas
Last seen: 10 years, 4 months
Re: Libby Indicted. Libby Resigns [Re: Alex213]
    #4875533 - 10/31/05 04:40 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Alex213 said:
I notice you went awfully quiet when Lucid posted the article thoroughly debunking your "claim".

As Lucid pointed out:

Quote:

You do the dirty work of thugs and criminals.








:rolleyes:


--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama


Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Registered: 02/11/04
Posts: 81,741
Loc: Fractallife's gym
Last seen: 5 years, 2 months
Re: Libby Indicted. Libby Resigns [Re: LucidDream]
    #4875982 - 10/31/05 06:34 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

LucidDream said:
Quote:

Phred said:
I've done my job.




My response contains several sources, something I have yet to see you cite, beyond vague references to the Butler report and the Senate Select Intelligence Committee's report. Let?s start first by demolishing the claim that his wife sent him:

Update on the Lies of Ambassador Wilson
By Larry Johnson

The radical right is desperate and grasping at straws in the wake of Scooter Libby's indictment. They are carrying copies to most TV interviews of the report by the Senate Intelligence Committee from July 2004 regarding what the intelligence community knew and reported on Iraq's weapons of mass destruction. One poor soul on Wolf Blitzer the other day tried reading from it in a desperate bid to try to make Joe Wilson the focus of the story. Sorry guys, Joe didn't get indicted for perjury, Scooter did. Let's keep our liars list up to date. Okay?




You can't get indicted for perjury for lying unless it is under oath. But you sure can tell a whole passel of lies without being sworn in. You are fucking joking, right? Do you really think that every lie you ever told should be prosecuted as perjurious, even to your mommy? We'll see about about ole lyin Joe in the future. Misuse of agency funds comes to mind.
Quote:



That said, it is also worth noting that the Senate Intel report is an abomination. It is full of misleading information and was deliberately crafted to shield Vice President Cheney and his staff from scrutiny. Unfortunately, the Democrats rolled over and signed off on the report.




OK Fine. This dickhead is the VOICE. And who is this dickhead?
http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/005/883raiiu.asp
Meet Larry Johnson
"The CIA official turned Democratic spokesman has a pre-9/11 mindset.
by Gary Schmitt
07/25/2005 12:11:00 PM

Increase Font Size
|

Printer-Friendly
|

Email a Friend
|

Respond to this article


ON SATURDAY, former CIA analyst Larry Johnson gave the Democratic party's weekly radio address and excoriated President Bush for not having fired Karl Rove and others in connection with the leak of CIA officer Valerie Plame's name to the press. This followed Johnson's appearance before a panel of House and Senate Democrats on Friday, where he made similar criticisms of the president. A self-described Republican, Johnson argued that the failure of the president to fire Rove and anyone else supposedly involved in the leak had severely damaged national security and would certainly hamper future efforts to recruit informants in the war on terror.

Well, it's good to see that the former CIA employee is now worried about the war on terror. But it's a bit late. On July 10, 2001--two months before the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon--Johnson wrote an op-ed for the New York Times ("The Declining Terrorist Threat") in which he argued that Americans were "bedeviled by fantasies about terrorism" and, in truth, had "little to fear" from terrorism. And, in turn, he rebuked his former colleagues in the national security bureaucracy for using the "fiction" of the terrorist threat to pump up their budgets.

Nor was this Johnson's first foray into dismissing bin Laden and al Qaeda. Johnson, who also served as the deputy director for the office of counterterrorism at the State Department in the early 90s, was interviewed by PBS's Frontline for its 1999 program, "Hunting for bin Laden." According to Johnson, Americans had

tended to make Osama bin Laden sort of a superman in Muslim garb," when in reality he is "more of a symptom of a problem" than a looming threat. And while bin Laden "would like to kill Americans . . . wanting to is different from being able to, having the full capabilities in place." By Johnson's lights, "Osama bin Laden . . . has not been a very effective organizer or leader. He talks a great game."

"The Democratic party wants to use Larry Johnson as a seemingly safe mouthpiece to attack to the president. But, in doing so, they have adopted someone who fits perfectly the profile of the pre-9/11 CIA: see no evil, hear no evil. As documented in report after report, the CIA's directorate of operations had no assets in al Qaeda and CIA's analysts were asleep at the switch when it came to analyzing the scale of the threat posed by bin Laden."
Quote:


Following is a rebuttal to the charges by Joe Wilson in a letter to Senators Pat Roberts (R-Asshole) and Jay Rockefeller (D-Dumbfuck):

Dear Senator Roberts and Senator Rockefeller,

I read with great surprise and consternation the Niger portion of Senators Roberts, Bond and Hatch "additional comments to the Senate Select Intelligence Committee's Report on the U.S. Intelligence Community's Prewar Assessment on Iraq. I am taking this opportunity to clarify some of the issues raised in these comments.

First conclusion: "The plan to send the former ambassador to Niger was suggested by the former ambassador's wife, a CIA employee."

That is not true. The conclusion is apparently based on one anodyne quote from a memo Valerie Plame, my wife sent to her superiors that says "my husband has good relations with the PM (prime minister) and the former Minister of Mines, (not to mention lots of French contacts) both of whom could possibly shed light on this sort of activity." There is no suggestion or recommendation in that statement that I be sent on the trip. Indeed it is little more than a recitation of my contacts and bona fides. The conclusion is reinforced by comments in the body of the report that a CPD reports officer stated the "the former ambassador's wife `offered up his name'" (page 39) and a State Department Intelligence and Research officer that the "meeting was `apparently convened by [the former ambassador's] wife who had the idea to dispatch him to use his contacts to sort out the Iraq-Niger uranium issue."

In fact, Valerie was not in the meeting at which the subject of my trip was raised. Neither was the CPD Reports officer. After having escorted me into the room, she departed the meeting to avoid even the appearance of conflict of interest. It was at that meeting where the question of my traveling to Niger was broached with me for the first time and came only after a thorough discussion of what the participants did and did not know about the subject. My bona fides justifying the invitation to the meeting were the trip I had previously taken to Niger to look at other uranium related questions as well as 20 years living and working in Africa, and personal contacts throughout the Niger government. Neither the CPD reports officer nor the State analyst were in the chain of command to know who, or how, the decision was made. The interpretations attributed to them are not the full story. In fact, it is my understanding that the Reports Officer has a different conclusion about Valerie's role than the one offered in the "additional comments". I urge the committee to reinterview the officer and publicly publish his statement.

It is unfortunate that the report failed to include the CIA's position on this matter. If the staff had done so it would undoubtedly have been given the same evidence as provided to Newsday reporters Tim Phelps and Knut Royce in July, 2003. They reported on July 22 that:

"A senior intelligence officer confirmed that Plame was a Directorate of Operations undercover officer who worked `alongside' the operations officers who asked her husband to travel to Niger.

"But he said she did not recommend her husband to undertake the Niger assignment. `They (the officers who did ask Wilson to check the uranium story) were aware of who she was married to, which is not surprising,' he said. `There are people elsewhere in government who are trying to make her look like she was the one who was cooking this up, for some reason,' he said. `I can't figure out what it could be.'

"We paid his (Wilson's) airfare. But to go to Niger is not exactly a benefit. Most people you'd have to pay big bucks to go there,' the senior intelligence official said. Wilson said. he was reimbursed only for expenses." (Newsday article Columnist blows CIA Agent's cover, dated July 22, 2003).




Aside from the fact that this rebuttal comes from the liar himself, it is disingenuous to contend that her presence in the room was a requisite for her to have recommended him. In fact he admits that she put his name forward.

Quote:

As for this ?claim he saw the forged documents,? there?s more at the link:
[url=http://www.tpmcafe.com/story/2005/10/30/18754/437]http://www.tpmcafe
.com/story/2005/10/30/18754/437[/url]




There's that Larry Johnson again

Quote:

Next, in response to the claims of an attempt to purchase uranium from Niger (this from no less a source than factcheck.org, though admittedly they?re full of shit most of the time, at : http://www.factcheck.org/article222.html )
The Senate report said the CIA then asked a "former ambassador" to go to Niger and report. That is a reference to Joseph Wilson -- who later became a vocal critic of the President's 16 words. The Senate report said Wilson brought back denials of any Niger-Iraq uranium sale, and argued that such a sale wasn't likely to happen. But the Intelligence Committee report also reveals that Wilson brought back something else as well -- evidence that Iraq may well have wanted to buy uranium.

Wilson reported that he had met with Niger's former Prime Minister Ibrahim Mayaki, who said that in June 1999 he was asked to meet with a delegation from Iraq to discuss "expanding commercial relations" between the two countries.

Based on what Wilson told them, CIA analysts wrote an intelligence report saying former Prime Minister Mayki "interpreted 'expanding commercial relations' to mean that the (Iraqi) delegation wanted to discuss uranium yellowcake sales." In fact, the Intelligence Committee report said that "for most analysts" Wilson's trip to Niger "lent more credibility to the original Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) reports on the uranium deal."





Well, yes. That is what makes him full of shit in his NYTimes OpEd, isn't it?{/b]

Seymour Hersh of the New Yorker picks up the story:
http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/?031027fa_fact

Wilson told me he was informed at the time that the mission had come about because the Vice-President?s office was interested in the Italian intelligence report. Before his departure, he was summoned to a meeting at the C.I.A. with a group of government experts on Iraq, Niger, and uranium. He was shown no documents but was told, he said, that the C.I.A. ?was responding to a report that was recently received of a purported memorandum of agreement??between Iraq and Niger??that our boys had gotten.? He added, ?It was never clear to me, or to the people who were briefing me, whether our guys had actually seen the agreement, or the purported text of an agreement.? Wilson?s trip to Niger, which lasted eight days, produced nothing. He learned that any memorandum of understanding to sell yellowcake would have required the signatures of Niger?s Prime Minister, Foreign Minister, and Minister of Mines. ?I saw everybody out there,? Wilson said, and no one had signed such a document. ?If a document purporting to be about the sale contained those signatures, it would not be authentic.? Wilson also learned that there was no uranium available to sell: it had all been pre-sold to Niger?s Japanese and European consortium partners.

Wilson returned to Washington and made his report. It was circulated, he said, but ?I heard nothing about what the Vice-President?s office thought about it.? (In response, Cathie Martin said, ?The Vice-President doesn?t know Joe Wilson and did not know about his trip until he read about it in the press.?


We now know, thanks to Scooter Libby?s indictment, that the Vice President and his spokeswoman were lying through their teeth: Libby learned of Valerie Wilson?s identity and CIA assignment from Cheney, who got it from Tenent:

WASHINGTON, Oct. 24 - I. Lewis Libby Jr., Vice President Dick Cheney's chief of staff, first learned about the C.I.A. officer at the heart of the leak investigation in a conversation with Mr. Cheney weeks before her identity became public in 2003, lawyers involved in the case said Monday.
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/25/politi...EOqLVHi97B9NkYw

Getting back to Phred: I think that you and others of your ilk do the Shroomery community a grave disservice when you spread this crooked administration?s lies and propaganda here on the board. Most Shroomerites are smart enough to know that the government is full of shit, but here you are spreading the talking points like a faithful little foot-soldier. You do the dirty work of thugs and criminals.




I gotta go. Sorry I couldn't finish properly. Some people have their heads so firmly implanted in their asses it is sad. Numerous links????? You gave 1 to Wilson himself, several to Larry Johnson, 1 to factcheck that didn't support your thesis and 1 to SY Hersh that began with "Joe told me". You are so weak it wobbles the mind.


--------------------


Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
InvisibleLucidDream
Hungry BlueFiend
 User Gallery

Registered: 05/09/03
Posts: 1,496
Loc: Planet of the Stupid Peop...
Re: Libby Indicted. Libby Resigns [Re: zappaisgod]
    #4881675 - 11/01/05 11:06 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Zappaisgod is a tad emotional. Perhaps s/he?s had a bad day. No doubt, s/he?s not always this way.

And right off the bat, you sidestep the charges laid so neatly at your feet and revert defensively to attacking the source. Later, you repeat the very charges I rebutted. It doesn?t even rise to the level of needing a rebuttal. I will note that regarding the factcheck item and the context I placed it in, your reading comprehension needs some work. And you got rather personal about it all as well, but that?s okay. I don?t stoop. As I?ve suggested, you must be having a bad day. I'm sure you could muster a better argument another time.

Meanwhile, there's a howling silence in this thread.


--------------------
Sarcasm just one of my many talents.



Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Registered: 10/08/02
Posts: 44,174
Last seen: 4 years, 11 months
Re: Libby Indicted. Libby Resigns [Re: LucidDream]
    #4881699 - 11/01/05 11:13 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I'll reserve my judgement until he is proved guilty or not.


Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Registered: 10/03/04
Posts: 8,978
Loc: South Texas
Last seen: 10 years, 4 months
Re: Libby Indicted. Libby Resigns [Re: LucidDream]
    #4881756 - 11/01/05 11:26 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)



.





.


--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama


Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Cheney Authorized Leak Of CIA Report, Libby Says TheHateCamel 457 0 04/14/06 10:03 PM
by TheHateCamel
* No Indictment of Rove in CIA-Leak Case! lonestar2004 797 4 06/13/06 11:39 PM
by Annapurna1
* Special counsel Indicts 13 Russian nationals, 3 Russian entities in '16 election interference
( 1 2 3 4 ... 44 45 )
krypto2000 11,259 885 11/16/18 02:34 PM
by koods
* Reid Calls for Rove to Resign lonestar2004 594 2 10/30/05 09:24 PM
by lonestar2004
* Anyone think Libby deserves a different sentence? TheHateCamel 634 2 06/05/07 10:56 PM
by lonestar2004
* What Libby's Indictment Means for the Jacobins SquattingMarmot 783 5 10/31/05 11:58 AM
by Phred
* Scooter Libby communed by Pres. G.W. Bush
( 1 2 all )
factory81 3,434 28 07/07/07 11:55 AM
by lonestar2004
* Wilson lied! Phred 525 4 07/12/04 05:54 PM
by Divided_Sky

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Enlil, ballsalsa
6,103 topic views. 0 members, 1 guests and 5 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Print Topic | ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2021 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.039 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 17 queries.