Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineLimelight
IntrepidTraveler
Male

right brained = more visuals?
    #4860745 - 10/27/05 09:17 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

What do you think? If you have quite the imagination, do you generally have better visuals, on the same amount, than someone who.. say.. is very good at calculus but cant draw even a stick figure.
Obviously it's different in each case, but I'm saying in general, overall.

--------------------
"The worst mistake that you can make is to think you're alive when really you're asleep in life's waiting room."

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
Invisiblemusher_420
Stranger

Re: right brained = more visuals? [Re: Limelight]
    #4860809 - 10/27/05 09:27 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I thought right brained people WERE the ones good at math and shit.. and just cause your good at math dosent mean your not imaginative.

--------------------
My Humidifier Reservoir Expansion Tek

Must read links for beginners

Btw- You are not what you own!

OfflineLimelight
IntrepidTraveler
Male

Re: right brained = more visuals? [Re: musher_420]
    #4860853 - 10/27/05 09:32 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

right brain = artistic
left brain = mathematical.

thats why i said there were exceptions too.. but for the most part. all the people i know that are really good with math have their day very organized and whatnot..
most people i know that like to draw and paint are more artistic, usually like music more, are much more imaginative.

--------------------
"The worst mistake that you can make is to think you're alive when really you're asleep in life's waiting room."

OfflineLimelight
IntrepidTraveler
Male

#4860859 - 10/27/05 09:32 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

right brained people also seem USUALLY to live more in the moment, less planning, etc. thats like me...

--------------------

Offlineday_tripper
Gatherer
 User Gallery

Loc: Pacific Coast
    #4860872 - 10/27/05 09:34 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I dont think so.. im one of the less gifted artists, and sometimes i feel my imagination is lacking, but my visuals and imagination while tripping are... well.. very very good.

OfflineMushroomMonster
Stranger
    #4860885 - 10/27/05 09:35 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I'm good at math, love music, and art. The brain is a mysterious thing...

OfflineLysergic_Milkman
Dr. Fist
Male

Loc: ATL
Re: right brained = more visuals? [Re: MushroomMonster]
    #4861045 - 10/27/05 10:01 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

It would be interesting to find out who gets better visuals, but, unfortunately, there's no way to tell for sure.

I'm left-handed (therefore, right brained) and i pretty much fit the stereotypical artistic lefty. Was one of the most creative and talented students in my art classes, i love to listen to and make music, and I'm totally disorganized all the time and i have failed 2 math classes in my life time.
Generally, though, i feel as if my visuals are quite a bit weaker than many of my right handed trip buddies.

Offlinewjames
Phenomenologist

Loc: Europe
    #4862414 - 10/28/05 04:44 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I would think that if you're good at calculus, you'd be left-brain dominant (the left side is where the language centers are). But if you approach calculus in terms of images, as some people do, then maybe not.

Anyway, I see two different issues here. One is whether a substance causes visuals; the second is whether a substance turns down the "internal dialogue" (left-hemisphere) enough so that you can pay more attention to visuals.

For what it's worth, it's always seemed to me that grass puts people in right-hemisphere mode--but, if so, whether that's by stimulating the right hemisphere or suppressing the left hemisphere, I don't know.

--------------------
"We're all in this consciousness-raising business together."
"An idle mind is the devil's workshop."
"Everyone should eat hashish, but only once." - S. Dali

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Re: right brained = more visuals? [Re: wjames]
    #4863107 - 10/28/05 12:46 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I believe so, though setting will play a larger part, and maybe a few other things. If the connections in your brain are stronger on the right though, it would make sense that you have more powerful visuals. Personally I'm a left brainer, I think but not much..but I seem to have more thoughtful then visuals during trips..perhaps you maybe have the same things but appreciate them differently?

I saw a video, where this lady who was going to harvard to be a doctor or something, and was very very left brained, not creative at all, had her left hemisphere removed (problems controlling the right half of her body)..within days, the right brain connected with itslef and formed new connections into the cerebal fluid that replaced her left hemi. After that she couldnt stay in school, and lost all interest in her old life. She felt as if the old her died completly and didnt exist anywhere, and now spends all her time painting and doing creative things. She turned from a suit, into a hippie pretty much. I found it interesting, I dunno, the brain is extreamly interesting, I wish we could experiment with acid on all sorts of people lol.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

InvisibleStickyWater
Stranger
Re: right brained = more visuals? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4863284 - 10/28/05 01:55 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I heard of something similar, a man had received a wound to the left side of his brain (forgot how). All his life he had been a pilot, he was very rational, good at math, organized, but lacked in all creativity. While in hospital recovering he began making sculptures, remarkably detailed and well crafted sculptures, nobody, not even himself knew he was able to do this, since then he lost interest in piloting and spends his time making some pretty impressive sculpts, wish I had pictures.

Offlinestemmer
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: right brained = more visuals? [Re: StickyWater]
    #4864680 - 10/28/05 08:49 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Detail oriented people are not usually considered to be right brained. Though some of the greatest artists are very detail oriented and are perfectionists. Echer was very into math as you may know or have seen.
This may sound strange but my guess would be that those who are into maths or intriquet and logical thought processes would see the visuals more easily the first time they eat shrooms.
Even weirder though are the things people think about and the cognative processes they use to uncover new states of mind. Classicaly, right brainers would be better at those flighty cognative processes, and ive found that cognition has much to do with visuals and the different ways that they are intertwined.
Visuals, being an expression of the whole mind, I think the way we catagorize right and left brains is very much about simple personality traits and abilities. Subsiquently I beleive that both are in the same boat when it comes to seeing visuals, yet they are different in how they adapt to them and how their next trip is perceived. Altogether, I am VERY right brained and see visuals far more clearly than my friends(composed of both types). The things Ive encountered during my flights have made my cognition and thus my visuals all that much more intense. Those who have profound logic based spiritual experiences on drugs are most often the ones who see the fattest visuals. To the point where .3 grams is cognatively and visualy, VERY intense. Neither sets of traits are independant of the other.

Offlineb1tH
I Am You

Re: right brained = more visuals? [Re: stemmer]
    #4864696 - 10/28/05 08:54 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Going off of what Stemmer said, I just thought I'd add that Francis Crick, who discovered the double-helix structure in DNA, was on acid at the time. A smaller dose, but none-the-less a logical mind on acid. It was the push of creativity that he needed.

--------------------
Nothing lasts...

My Music:  www.myspace.com/heretictheory

...But nothing is lost.

OfflineThePredator
Your a eunich ifyou don't useunix!

Re: right brained = more visuals? [Re: b1tH]
    #4864702 - 10/28/05 08:57 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

If you more interested with math, scinece, non artistic/spiritual stuff take some nootropics before shrooming. They increase blood flow between the two hemispheres of the brain making them both more active.

--------------------

OfflineLynxRufus
Stranger
Re: right brained = more visuals? [Re: b1tH]
    #4864743 - 10/28/05 09:06 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

People aren't actually "right" or "left" brained. Its true that certain functions, as a matter of physical location of structures, are centralized on a specific hemisphere. So its also true that certain traits originate on a specific side. But just because one is particularly good at a trait that may originate on one side (deductive vs. probalistic reasoning, for example), does not mean they are good at all things that originate on that side.

Visuals have to do with several neural systems, and do not stem from one hemisphere

Offlinestemmer
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: right brained = more visuals? [Re: LynxRufus]
    #4864792 - 10/28/05 09:20 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Thats what I was saying, I liked the post, so I bumped it.

Invisiblekaniz
That one, overthere.
Male

Loc: Ontario
Re: right brained = more visuals? [Re: stemmer]
    #4932248 - 11/14/05 02:45 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I'm a very geeky person. Good at science, math, majoring in Info Tech Management, programmer - very logical, plan things out to the T. Even in my drug use I'll measure things out exactly :P

However, I tend to be affected by pyschadelcs and get a more intense visual expierence than my boyfriend - who is very creative, and works as a graphic designer.

However, when tripping - I enjoy the loss of control. I enjoy the fact that I dont know what is going to happen next. I just let my mind go and wander and enjoy the ride, and its one of the few times I do that.

Offlineagoutihead
Male User Gallery

Re: right brained = more visuals? [Re: kaniz]
    #4932941 - 11/14/05 05:21 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

this is a hard one for me to answer... because i am neither really good at math or really good at art... im actually terrible at trying to "draw" art with my hand... but i am pretty well orgainized when it comes to pretty much everything.

i can just do basic math... add, divide, multiply and divide...

i never really exceled in school... in fact i always ended up cheating just to get the work done and get it over with.. i cheated most of my way through high school and even cheated on my SATS... school could just never keep my attention like its "supposed to" i guess.

im not stupid by any means... but im not smart either i guess im "normal" as far as that is concerned...

also ive learned over the years that i am a "visual learner" so when it comes to learning.. if im interested in it i need to see it... but i cannot re-teach that info to someone else... i dont know... i can understand.. but not pass along the knowledge successfully.

but what i can tell you is that i think ALOT... i think about everything... have the shit i dont even know what im thinking...

i dont have many interets in life.. i hate sports... i hate school.. im lazy...

these are my hobbies and the only things that intersest me in life right now...

money
drugs (mainly weed and lsd and shrooms)
sex
food
saltwater tanks (salt water fish with inverts and corals)

basically all "feel good" type things.. other than saltwater and money... but smoking weed and watching a crab eat food in a tank up close... is unbelievable... i havent done lsd/shrooms around a saltwater tank yet... i cant even begin to think how cool that is.

inverts... things like shrimp, crabs, starfish.... are all VERY colorful when it comes to salt water... and the best way to describe them to "humans" is by calling them living robots. the way the move.. the way their body is constructed along with being underwater... is absolutley hipnotic!

i dont know like i said before i am "weird"

but im one of the funniest, most outragegous "colorful" people that i have ever known.

i guess you just have to know me to understand.

but i will agree with the last poster... one thing i love the most about lsd/shrooms is that i totally "lose control" but im totally "in control" at the same time.

its odd... i always probably take more than i should... so i get a really intense trip and wack myself out... which is what i strive for

because of this i have only done shrooms in my house or in a rented hotel room... i will never do them in public.

--------------------
"When I'm on LSD and hearing something that's pure rhythm, it takes me to another world and into anther brain state where I've stopped thinking and started knowing" - Kevin Herbert

"Psychedelics let you see the world through a child's eye."

"Experience the liquid realm..."

"The evolution of mankind is in the alteration of consciousness" - Dr. Albert Hofmann

Edited by agoutihead (11/14/05 05:34 PM)

OfflineGuerrilla0726
Bringer ofChange
Re: right brained = more visuals? [Re: agoutihead]
    #4934617 - 11/14/05 11:28 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I think it's more about the intellectual capacity that somenone has or how open-minded they are. I've talked to people who've dropped acid before and I ask them how it affects their mind and thoughts at all and they have no clue what I'm talking about. They just say, "YOU HALLUCINATE"

If a person wonders about the world when they aren't tripping and seeks to gain knowledge and enhance their concept of the world when not tripping, then this person most likely would also have more meaningful and intense hallucinations and thoughts. For instance, when Timothy Leary introduced LSD to the Psychology Department at Harvard it was like a gold rush, but if LSD is introduced to a rural, uneducated, isolated village then it wouldn't be praised as much.

Offlineagoutihead
Male User Gallery

Re: right brained = more visuals? [Re: Guerrilla0726]
    #4934702 - 11/14/05 11:39 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

yeah i know what your saying....

one of my great mottos is "i dont live by "the mans" rules

maybe acid and shrooms are why most people just dont "get me"

and why i would want to go to the lsd convention

--------------------
"When I'm on LSD and hearing something that's pure rhythm, it takes me to another world and into anther brain state where I've stopped thinking and started knowing" - Kevin Herbert

"Psychedelics let you see the world through a child's eye."

"Experience the liquid realm..."

"The evolution of mankind is in the alteration of consciousness" - Dr. Albert Hofmann

OfflineThef0rk
His Highness

Loc: Far, Far Away
Re: right brained = more visuals? [Re: agoutihead]
    #4934818 - 11/14/05 11:58 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

For instance, when Timothy Leary introduced LSD to the Psychology Department at Harvard it was like a gold rush, but if LSD is introduced to a rural, uneducated, isolated village then it wouldn't be praised as much.

LOL How ignorant... Let's not forget that the use of psilo* containing mushrooms originated in a rural, uneducated, isolated village. Same goes for ayahuasca, psychedelic cacti, amanita muscaria, etc.

--------------------
"I ams what I ams and thats all that I ams."
--Popeye (The Sailor Man)

Edited by Thef0rk (11/15/05 12:01 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies