Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleveggieM

Herb Alters Reality, But It's Legal [WI]
    #4857608 - 10/27/05 12:08 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Herb Alters Reality, But It's Legal
October 26, 2005 - themilwaukeechannel.com

MILWAUKEE -- There's a mind-altering drug showing up on Milwaukee-area college campuses that is growing in popularity among students, and it's perfectly legal.

It's an herb in the mint family called salvia divinorum, and it gives users a psychedelic head trip.

WISN 12 News found it in local head shop just off the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee campus.

Nestled among the skateboards and sneakers is the so-called "sacred sage."

The sign advertises salvia as the most potent psychotropic herb on the planet. Prices start at $35 for a few grams and go up to $70 for higher strength.

The clerk said the market is good.

"Kids just want it cause it messes them up," the clerk said.

Clerks at Knuckleheads told 12 News interest in salvia increased after it opened the head shop last spring just off campus. Knuckleheads also sells salvia at its store near University of Wisconsin-Madison.

"So who's buying it?" 12 News investigative reporter Colleen Henry asked.

"College kids. College kids," a store clerk said.

The clerks asked 12 News not to use their names, but said for many kids, salvia is cost-prohibitive.

"They always come in and ask about it, and then they look at the price, and they're like, 'OK, maybe not today." But they do ask about it two or three times a day," a clerk said.

"Is pot cheaper?" Henry asked.

"Yeah," a clerk said.

They even get kids from nearby Riverside High School looking to try it, but the clerks said they won't sell salvia to anyone under 18, even if it is legal.

"We card when you're buying salvia, 'cause, like, better safe than sorry," a clerk said.

The health effects of salvia use are unclear although doctors at Wisconsin's Children's Hospital call it a drug of abuse saying smoking anything is unhealthy.

"The law hasn't caught up to it," University of Wisconsin-Whitewater Professor Stephen Solheim said.

Solheim was an early salvia researcher and was the first to find it in the mountains of Mexico. It is grown by the same Indians famous for growing the psychedelic known as "magic mushrooms."

"People are going to find ways to alter their heads one way or another. People have been doing it for thousands of years, and we're no different," Solheim said.

Solheim said he came down with dysentery while studying in Mexico in a village far from any hospital, so a local woman treated him with salvia divinorum.

"I hallucinated for a few hours. I had giant insects tunneling in my brain for a few hours," Solheim said.

Solheim said in the years since his Mexico research, he's watched the political climate related to hallucinogens change.

In the 1960s, a renowned Harvard botany professor routinely gave students psychedelic plants to try as homework.

"No professor would hand hallucinogens to a student anymore, but think about that, that was only 40 years, that was perfectly acceptable. Then LSD became illegal, and then mushrooms, and now there's a move afoot to make salvia divinorum also illegal,." Solheim said.

The state of Louisiana just outlawed salvia divinorum, and New York and New Jersey have similar bills pending. Congress took up the issue in 2002 after a stabbing involving a 15-year-old Rhode Island boy who reportedly smoked salvia, but that bill failed.

"Just because it's legal doesn't mean something is healthy or safe," Special Agent Chris Hackbarth said.

Hackbarth said the Drug Enforcement Administration supports outlawing salvia, especially because it's popular with kids.

"We can't be proactive because it's not illegal. We can't go out and target the sellers of it because it's not illegal," Hackbarth said.

Back at the head shop, a UW-Milwaukee student doesn't see salvia as a big deal.

"It's an experience. It's nothing too heavy, though, that's for sure. It's not going to be like your heroin or cocaine or even pot or anything. It's not going to compare to it, really," the student said.

Though the staff expect salvia will eventually join the ranks of other illegal psychedelics.

Experts say it's unlikely salvia will ever become a party drug because it tends to make users more introverted.

WISN 12 News surveyed Milwaukee-area police departments. Some were unfamiliar with it, while others said they don't see it.

At UW-Milwaukee, the police told 12 News that they don't see much Ecstasy either, but they know it's out there, Henry said.

To date, Wisconsin has taken no action to outlaw salvia.

Doctors in Milwaukee told 12 News they know of no medical benefits to using salvia.

Those who sell it actually hand out a fact sheet that warns against using it alone, or while driving.

To be clear, the store where 12 News bought salvia is not doing anything illegal.

The owner told 12 News that he will not sell salvia to anyone under the age of 18.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMoxemerald
Executive

Loc: NJ
Re: Herb Alters Reality, But It's Legal [WI] [Re: veggie]
    #4857652 - 10/27/05 12:19 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Damn law.

InvisibleDragonaut

#4857762 - 10/27/05 12:45 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I watched that story the other night. The clerks they interviewed seemed fucking stupid, and their comments are only going to attract negative attention to this herb.

--------------------
:dragon:

OfflineDeathCompany
Oneironaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere in my head
    #4857788 - 10/27/05 12:51 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

veggie said:
Solheim said he came down with dysentery while studying in Mexico in a village far from any hospital, so a local woman treated him with salvia divinorum.

"I hallucinated for a few hours. I had giant insects tunneling in my brain for a few hours," Solheim said.

that makes it sound even worse. how would u get it to last that long

--------------------

InvisibleDragonaut

Re: Herb Alters Reality, But It's Legal [WI] [Re: DeathCompany]
    #4857949 - 10/27/05 01:34 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Maybe he ate a large quantity of leaves? Or drank some sort of ayahuasca-like brew? This was back when they didn't have extract. I'm sure the method of ingestion affects the experience.

On another note, read the clerks comments. The interviewer asks them questions about how much weed costs, and they actually give her answers...because they obviously know the prices. :wink: :rolleyes: ...fucking potheads. Then she asks who they're selling it to, and who uses it... "oh, ...kids". You should have seen the story on TV. The clerks looked and talked like total stoner fucktards. One was even smoking at the time, while they were trying to discuss salvia. They didn't want them using their names, but they got their shop and faces on camera. :rolleyes: What they should have done is told the news crew they were trespassing, and to get the fuck out of their establishment. This is obviously a coup against salvia, headshops, and any other sort of "alternative" fun that's still legal. :satan:

I hope whoever tipped off the news gets their head kicked in. This report sucked balls.

--------------------
:dragon:

OfflineDeathCompany
Oneironaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere in my head
Re: Herb Alters Reality, But It's Legal [WI] [Re: Dragonaut]
    #4858008 - 10/27/05 01:53 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

well of course the method of taking it affects the duration but making a quid lasts about an hour not 2. maybe the guy wasnt used to tripping and fiqured the afterglow as triipping, who knows....

--------------------

InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

#4859306 - 10/27/05 01:25 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Holy moses! It alters reality?! We MUST make it illegal!

:rolleyes:

OfflineSirFrancisBacon
Frog
 User Gallery

Loc: low earth orbit
Re: Herb Alters Reality, But It's Legal [WI] [Re: DNKYD]
    #4861734 - 10/27/05 10:32 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I love your Roberts quote DNKYD.

OfflineDarcho
PhysicallyDetermined

Re: Herb Alters Reality, But It's Legal [WI] [Re: SirFrancisBacon]
    #4861864 - 10/27/05 11:10 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I am going to genetically alter carrots, so that they produce large amounts of psychoactive chemicals. Chemicals in which the effects on the nervous system are not entirely known. Chemicals in which, when partaken, generate a state of being that is more docile than states of being associated with legal, taxed, revenue generating drugs. Yeah, thats right, carrots.

Then carrots can become illegal. Once that comes into effect, I am going to do the same to cucumbers, then cows, then chickens, then fish, etc...,etc..., until every naturally occurring organism is chock full of mysterious chemicals.

Why, you might ask? Because I hate everything and want it to be illegal. Well, I don't hate everything, just the things that don't directly bring me capital. I also hate things are are difficult to understand, things that are different (so they must be evil and bad, and uh, stupid, yeah stupid). So death and destruction, generally speaking, you know those things that generate revenue, will be all that is legal.

Fucking carrots. Getting people all high and shit.

P.S. God made me do it.

P.P.S. God is the new Satan.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates