Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleDaxMiddler
journeyman
Loc: Cambodia
Making my own spore syringe HELP.
    #485640 - 12/10/01 02:57 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I have always purchased spore syringes through the mail. I have been using the standard cubensis that PF sells. Recently I tried making my own spore syringes so that I wouldn't have to purchase them anymore. I took a fairly mature cap, still curved, but the veil had broken a long time ago. I placed it in a shot glass gill side down with the stem removed. I let it sit, covered, for 2 days. On the second day I took and old syringe and filled it with boiling water a few times. I let it cool and then removed the cap from the glass. I shot my water into the glass and scrapped the spores from the side and quickly sucked them up. It sat for about a week before I used it. I also noticed that there were probably at least 5 times as many spores compared to a normal syringe I'd buy. As a control to my experiment I innoculated jars with a purchased syringe as well. The purchased spores show about 40% colonization and my box of jars shows none. No colonization at all, except on one jar in about a 1/2 inch circle. What did I do wrong? Could it be that I used tap water? I thought boiling would make it clean enough for spores. All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Dax

--------------------
Dax

What I write is a lie. I read it somwhere else.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Re: Making my own spore syringe HELP. [Re: DaxMiddler]
    #485643 - 12/10/01 03:01 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Hmmm,this sounds familiar.

InvisibleDaxMiddler
journeyman
Loc: Cambodia
Re: Making my own spore syringe HELP. [Re: ]
    #485646 - 12/10/01 03:05 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Yes... It may seem familiar, but I don't feel that my question has reached resolution. I am hoping that somone in here can help me out.

--------------------
Dax

What I write is a lie. I read it somwhere else.

Offlinefig
spore collector
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: usa east TN blue ridge mt...
    #485667 - 12/10/01 03:41 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

go to search at the top of this page and search for the word : syringe, or syringe tek

OfflineSlamgauge
genocide isn'tfor everyone.
Loc: Austin, TX
Re: Making my own spore syringe HELP. [Re: fig]
    #485715 - 12/10/01 05:52 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

You did a little of on overkill on the spores. What I do is I make a print on foil and scrape about 1/3rd of it into a shot glass. The whole print can make about three to five syringes depending on how big and dark they are.
That may or maynot have had something to do with it. Oh and it is always a good idea to use bottled water. I don't know how clean your city water is but if it is anything like mine it will have all kinds of shit in there that might have adverse effects on your fungus.

--------------------
TRUTH n - 1 a being true; specif., a) sincerity; honesty b) conformity with fact c) reality; actual existence d) correctness; accuracy

OfflinepsilocyberV
old hand

#485805 - 12/10/01 10:13 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Post deleted by administrator.

OfflineBeppoMarx
old hand
    #486024 - 12/10/01 03:21 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

hmm. that sounds kinda odd to me... if the shotglass was sterile prior to the spores dropping in it then there should be no difference between scraping them from paper vs just starting in a glass. if the water was boiled sterile and the syringe was sterile itself I dont see how it could be any different. yes a print can make more than 1 syringe but the more spores that you put in there will only have a positive effect on the outcome; just that many more chances for spores to germinate and also a better chance of the 'better' (more vigorous) strains wil meet and not have to compromise with lesser ones. I cannot find anything wrong persay on what you did except not follow a proven tek; but it doesnt sound like anything went wrong unless you got your alcohol somehow mixed in with your sporewater or in your syringe; which would be my only guess other than you squirted the water in with the spores before it was cool enough. point being; if the jars have food and the right amount of moisture then they WILL germinate unless you killed them somehow. they will even at least germinate if it was contaminated.

--------------------
Holy shit people; COMMON SENSE! we were all born with it where did it go?
maybe theres a tek out there to explain how to use it!
BUCKETS BRIGADE left hand man!!!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation