Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibleraytrace
Stranger

Crisis of Modern Rebellion
    #4848912 - 10/25/05 02:06 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

What is worth rebelling against?
Who/What is an authentic rebel?
Can matching the definition, not mean conforming to it?

Is it harder or easier to be a rebel in today's society?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: Crisis of Modern Rebellion [Re: raytrace]
    #4848977 - 10/25/05 02:33 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Does rebellion do any good?
Is it better to change it from the inside, peacefully?
It's easier to be a rebel in today's society methinks

--------------------

Invisibleraytrace
Stranger

Re: Crisis of Modern Rebellion [Re: Shroomism]
    #4849098 - 10/25/05 03:42 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

sure it's easier if it's sponsored by Levis

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

#4849356 - 10/25/05 06:39 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

There is nothing worth rebelling against. America is the beacon of all that is good and descent. If you are a rebel in todays society, it is purely for egotistical reasons based on your inability to cope with the beauty of our nation. You desire to be different. Don't worry, you'll grow out of it.

--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth

OfflineDrink_Punk_Soda
Now with ExtraVaganza!?

Loc: Nowhere fast
Re: Crisis of Modern Rebellion [Re: looner2]
    #4849364 - 10/25/05 06:46 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

looner2 said:
There is nothing worth rebelling against. America is the beacon of all that is good and descent.

I find that typo amusing and accurate.

Counterculture has become so mainstream that the only way to be different is to be normal, thus defeating the purpose. I am aware that "normal" is a highly subjective term.

--------------------

Kumbayah my lord, Kumbayah...

Invisibleraytrace
Stranger

#4849456 - 10/25/05 08:07 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

America is the beacon of all that is good and descent, namely consume and let die.

OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

Loc: Appearing at a mall near ...
    #4849914 - 10/25/05 11:29 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

:thumbup: Blind nationalism, that's the way to ensure the best future.  Now that we've plumbed the depths of your critical thinking skills, let's try a quote from someone more contemplative...

"There have always been men of intelligence who went on strike, in protest and despair, but they did not know the meaning of their action. The man who retires from public life, to think, but not to share his thoughts-the man who chooses to spend his years in the obscurity of menial employment, keeping to himself the fire of his mind, never giving it form, expression or reality, refusing to bring it into a world he despises-the man who is defeated by revulsion, the man who renounces before he has started, the man who gives up rather than give in, the man who functions at a fraction of his capacity, disarmed by his longing for an ideal he has not found-they are on strike, on strike against unreason, on strike against your world and your values... in the darkness of their hopeless indignation, which is righteous... as rebels who never learned the object of their rebellion, as lovers who never discovered their love."

What does it mean Looner?

--------------------
Money doesn't grow on trees, but deficits do grow under Bushes.

You can accept, reject, or examine and test any new idea that comes to you. The wise man chooses the third way.
- Tom Willhite

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinions should I become aware of additional facts, the falsification of information or different perspectives. Articles written by others which I post may not necessarily reflect my opinions in part or in whole, my opinions may be in direct opposition, the topic may be one on which I have yet to formulate an opinion or have doubts about, an article may be posted solely with the intent to stimulate discussion or contemplation.

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

Re: Crisis of Modern Rebellion [Re: Prosgeopax]
    #4850121 - 10/25/05 12:37 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Prosgeopax said:
:thumbup: Blind nationalism, that's the way to ensure the best future.  Now that we've plumbed the depths of your critical thinking skills, let's try a quote from someone more contemplative...

Blind nationalism? The angst-filled buzzwords are so effective at conveying a point :rolleyes:

Quote:

Prosgeopax said:
"There have always been men of intelligence who went on strike, in protest and despair, but they did not know the meaning of their action. The man who retires from public life, to think, but not to share his thoughts-the man who chooses to spend his years in the obscurity of menial employment, keeping to himself the fire of his mind, never giving it form, expression or reality, refusing to bring it into a world he despises-the man who is defeated by revulsion, the man who renounces before he has started, the man who gives up rather than give in, the man who functions at a fraction of his capacity, disarmed by his longing for an ideal he has not found-they are on strike, on strike against unreason, on strike against your world and your values... in the darkness of their hopeless indignation, which is righteous... as rebels who never learned the object of their rebellion, as lovers who never discovered their love."

What does it mean Looner?

It means some find comfort in being pathetic turds because their failed, ineffective, false, and unworkable idealism has stifled all hope in them rising up and conquering reality.

--------------------

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

#4850123 - 10/25/05 12:38 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

raytrace said:
America is the beacon of all that is good and descent, namely consume and let die.

My point?

--------------------

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
    #4850600 - 10/25/05 02:23 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

These days (and maybe it's always been like this) rebellion only happens in the liminal zones. It's a transition. Temporary. Fleeting.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
    #4850610 - 10/25/05 02:25 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

raytrace said:
What is worth rebelling against?
Who/What is an authentic rebel?
Can matching the definition, not mean conforming to it?

Is it harder or easier to be a rebel in today's society?

The illusion of self..
self..
yes..

harder and easier..
just like going down on the globe, could be walking up a hillside.. :P

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #4850618 - 10/25/05 02:28 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

There are things about modern society which I oppose. I'm not sure whether opposition counts as rebellion.

--------------------

OfflineTameMe
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#4850638 - 10/25/05 02:33 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

looner2 said:
There is nothing worth rebelling against. America is the beacon of all that is good and descent. If you are a rebel in todays society, it is purely for egotistical reasons based on your inability to cope with the beauty of our nation. You desire to be different. Don't worry, you'll grow out of it.

It is pretty egotistical to say, "everyone who rebels is doign so for egotistical reasons, I think our society is beautiful...and you are just wrong." Maybe your local situation there is great...but this society is far from reaching its potential.

Edited by TameMe (10/25/05 02:35 PM)

OfflineBleaK
paradox
Re: Crisis of Modern Rebellion [Re: TameMe]
    #4850752 - 10/25/05 03:09 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

our society may be beautiful, for us....
but those who make it possible, have another storey.
the first world is built on the second and third worlds.

equalize. thank you.

--------------------
"You cannot trust in law, unless you can trust in people. If you can trust in people, you don't need law." -J. Mumma

OfflineTameMe
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Crisis of Modern Rebellion [Re: BleaK]
    #4850794 - 10/25/05 03:18 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Good point. Should we be thankful for our lives at the expense of others...or feel disgust? I feel both...becuase I am living here now...if I only felt disgust I would leave. My disgust is there to hold opposition and rebel....hoping that things will get better.

OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

Loc: Appearing at a mall near ...
    #4850997 - 10/25/05 04:08 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

looner2 said:
Blind nationalism?

Without a doubt. It seems from your opinions, like the majority of Americans, that you have led an insular existence.

Quote:

The angst-filled buzzwords are so effective at conveying a point

Where do you get angst filled? Where are the buzzwords?

Quote:

It means some find comfort in being pathetic turds because their failed, ineffective, false, and unworkable idealism has stifled all hope in them rising up and conquering reality.

Wrong! Thanks for playing along.

--------------------
Money doesn't grow on trees, but deficits do grow under Bushes.

You can accept, reject, or examine and test any new idea that comes to you. The wise man chooses the third way.
- Tom Willhite

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinions should I become aware of additional facts, the falsification of information or different perspectives. Articles written by others which I post may not necessarily reflect my opinions in part or in whole, my opinions may be in direct opposition, the topic may be one on which I have yet to formulate an opinion or have doubts about, an article may be posted solely with the intent to stimulate discussion or contemplation.

OfflineDarcho
PhysicallyDetermined

#4851251 - 10/25/05 05:11 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Rebellion no longer exists, there is only terrorism!  :whoa:

But, please, do not be so naive as to equate "Terrorism" with  Islamic fundamentalism, and please do not infer "death and destruction" from it either.

Something you might want to check into, is a short book by Jean Baudrillard called The Spirit of Terrorism.

As for America being "the beacon of all that is good and descent," well "good" and "descent" are vague terms to begin with.  America may be all sparkly and shiny, but unfortunately "not all that glitters is gold," and sometimes what may appear to initially be gold, turns out, upon further inspection, to be nothing but pyrite (a.k.a.  "Fool's Gold").

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #4851272 - 10/25/05 05:20 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Americans have always had a hardon for rebellion. It's what they were founded on, and it's part of all kinds of american fiction.

In the past, people valued things like loyalty, but in the US, being the underdog is the equivelant to being right. Whenever you hear someone fight for something, they always try and paint themselves as a minority that is being oppressed. I hear Christian fundamentalists talking about how they're being wiped out by a culture that values godlessness... even though the president and all kinds of huge politicians are born again, not to mention the fact that there are references to god right on the money and in the constitution.

Your values aren't really the important thing, it's whether or not you're fighting the status quo, because popular opinion is assumed wrong, and being a unique individual is more important than being good.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

#4851497 - 10/25/05 06:51 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Prosgeopax said:
Quote:

looner2 said:
Blind nationalism?

Without a doubt. It seems from your opinions, like the majority of Americans, that you have led an insular existence.

Ahhh, sweeping condemnations of the "majority"! You rebel YOU! Lead us from tyranny! What is the plan oh exalted visionary!?

Quote:

Prosgeopax said:
Where do you get angst filled? Where are the buzzwords?

The ones I quoted you on. Don't worry, I'm sure i'll hear facist, nazi, hitler, genocide...etc in the coming posts. They are all so illuminating.

Quote:

Prosgeopax said:
Wrong! Thanks for playing along.

Awww. Shucks. I guess it too much to ask what the artsy quote meant huh?

--------------------

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

Re: Crisis of Modern Rebellion [Re: TameMe]
    #4851502 - 10/25/05 06:52 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

TameMe said:
Quote:

looner2 said:

It is pretty egotistical to say, "everyone who rebels is doign so for egotistical reasons, I think our society is beautiful...and you are just wrong." Maybe your local situation there is great...but this society is far from reaching its potential.

Who says we need to stop growth? If you want to be a rebel, then rebel against the institution, you can't dare work within it, you must...

SMASH THE SYSTEM!!

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies