Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
Be Wary of Noobs Who "really, really want to do some mushrooms"
    #4845903 - 10/24/05 01:59 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

This is not a trip report or even an anecdote, it's just my theory. What motivates a person towards a certain action is a thought, a one dimensional representation of what they believe the experience will be like. It is the thought of a previous trip, or for beginners what they imagine a trip to be, that drives one to the action of consuming mushrooms. With psychedelic drugs what we are talking about is not a commodity for consumption, but an all encompassing experience where anything is possible.

So when somebody says "I really, really want to do some shrooms!" What it tells me is that they are stuck on a thought or an expectation, and when the reality sets in of what they are going to experience the person will a)get very scared because they feel unprepared, that their mind decieved them, or b)very disinterested and/or unreceptive to the trip because it is different than the thought that enticed them into taking it.

This doesn't mean a wise person cannot want to do shrooms, but they must understand that the desire and the experience are two very different things. Indeed the very self that 'wants' to experience mushrooms becomes negated by them completely foiling the expectations of the shroomer.

I think with most of us we start a trip thinking "I will trip", but it doesn't take long to realize that in order to flow with the trip this idea must be let go and the 'I' surrendered. It seems the more experienced one gets the less difficulty one has in transcending this ego based expectation. However, if it seems that this expectation is too strong in a person be cautious because when the real experience comes they may not be able to handle it.

--------------------
1. "After an hour I wasn't feeling anything so I decided to take another..."
2. "We were feeling pretty good so we decided to smoke a few bowls..."
3. "I had to be real quiet because my parents were asleep upstairs..."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleTrippingDuality
cult classic
 User Gallery

Re: Be Wary of Noobs Who "really, really want to do some mushrooms" [Re: Divided_Sky]
    #4845961 - 10/24/05 02:16 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

i have a similar theory i guess... what i think is to be wary of noobs who really want to trip, but don't do a bit of research on the thing. i had a friend who wanted to trip so badly he took the bus all day to get here, but when i asked him how he thought the experience would be he said he didn't have any idea.
i don't know, i guess that irks me the most of all.

don't pay any attention to anything i said...heh.

--------------------
turn off your mind relax and float downstream

Offlinenonick
Stranger

Re: Be Wary of Noobs Who "really, really want to do some mushrooms" [Re: TrippingDuality]
    #4846120 - 10/24/05 02:58 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

i guess i see what you're saying. i don't look at a trip as something i want to do really bad, rather, as something that is just going to happen. the same as anything else in life. i take a very "matter of fact" approach to it.

Invisiblemusher_420
Stranger

Re: Be Wary of Noobs Who "really, really want to do some mushrooms" [Re: nonick]
    #4846192 - 10/24/05 03:18 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

-The Mazatec call the mushrooms Nti-si-tho, in which "Nti" is a particle of reverence and endearment; the rest of the name means "that which springs forth." A Mazatec explained this thought Poetically: "The little mushroom comes of itself, no one knows whence, like the wind that comes we know not whence nor why."- That is from Plants Of The Gods. And of course most of us now do have indepth knowleadge of the life cycle of the mushrooms. But why is it here on this planet is still a mystery. And the whole concept its self, maybe with a little imagination, goes along very nicely with your theory Sky. The spontanuity. My best trips have always been on short notice without much planing or preperation just grabing a handfull and seeing where it takes me.

--------------------
My Humidifier Reservoir Expansion Tek

Must read links for beginners

Btw- You are not what you own!

Offlinepantsboy
I troll because I care.
Female User Gallery

Loc: 8====D ~o
Re: Be Wary of Noobs Who "really, really want to do some mushrooms" [Re: musher_420]
    #4846565 - 10/24/05 04:44 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Although I had done some research before I decided to do shrooms. I first tried shrooms having no idea what to expect, but it's still hard not to be surprised by the fact that what actually happens is different then what you were imagining. I had no desire to do shrooms for a long period of time because my expected that it would be an overwhelming and uncomfortable experience. Nonetheless, I completely agree with your theory and I see it in action on a daily basis.

It's completely dangerous though. Most who have an innacurate expectation of shrooms who are trying the for the first time, will quickly realize that it is very different from they're expectation. Thus they will will learn to "go with flow" and get rid of their expectations.

This is the basis of all experimentation: Having a hypothesis or an expected result, actually trying it out, mkaing observations/comparisons between the expected result and what's actually happening, and learning from the experience.

--------------------
Acid doesn't hurt when you're on fire. :frown:

"Mushrooms are only similar to penises in their appearance." - LeBron James (2013)

ToiletDuk said:
"Bus squelching is not to be laughed at."

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Re: Be Wary of Noobs Who "really, really want to do some mushrooms" [Re: pantsboy]
    #4846637 - 10/24/05 05:03 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Well, I guess I have to be fair to some of these people, considering most of us were that way when we started. I think it is pretty natural for first time trippers to go through that realization, being the first time they have ever become aware of the rift between expectation and experience.

It's just the ones who are TOO attracted to their mental image that you need to be careful with. Whenever you have a mind hiding from itself in desires and thoughts psychedelics are always pretty startling.

--------------------

OfflineXUL
OTD Janitor
Male User Gallery

Loc: America Flag
Re: Be Wary of Noobs Who "really, really want to do some mushrooms" [Re: Divided_Sky]
    #4846717 - 10/24/05 05:19 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

theorey sounds about right. I did research before my trip and got the wrong picture, and I had a hard trip on a large dose of mush. It all worked out for me though, and I cant wait till next trip.

--------------------
TRUMP 2020

OfflineNashbar
just strange.... on drugs
Male User Gallery
Loc: strawberry field
Re: Be Wary of Noobs Who "really, really want to do some mushrooms" [Re: XUL]
    #4846781 - 10/24/05 05:34 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

One of my most gratifying experiences was surprising a bunch of friends with some shrooms before a concert. One guy hadn't had any psychedelic before.

When we were on our way to the show, none of them had any idea what they had in store. We get to the venue, chug some beers and smoke a bit. As we get out of the car, I handed 1/8th to everyone, all experienced drug users (no serious trippers), and I was the only one that knew what was in store.

We down our doses with some water and make our way into the club. I took a low dose ~1.5g, everyone else was in outer space all night. We ended up having a blast, during the afterglow 6 hrs later we were all to happy to call it a night so we hit a few more bars and club. Made it home by dawn...

Drug newbies can't help it, they need a mentor to supervise and influence the direction of the psychonauts. They're naive with such inflated views of the counter/drug culture. I truly feel like a better person after sharing those experiences with them

OfflineA0999
Disco ish
 User Gallery

Loc: TEXUS
    #4846806 - 10/24/05 05:42 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

stupid

--------------------
Not necessarily stoned, but beautiful

Offlineleery11
I Tell You What!

Re: Be Wary of Noobs Who "really, really want to do some mushrooms" [Re: A0999]
    #4846854 - 10/24/05 05:52 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

i really want to do acid and have all these high expectations of it for some reason.

i don't really want to do shrooms nearly as badly though.

:/ i'm a psychedelic n00b mostly but I've had 2 intense mind trips on LSA.

I agree that no substance should be used without research and any serious expectations should be checked and gotten rid of prior to consuming, though.

--------------------
I am the MacDaddy of Heimlich County, I play it Straight Up Yo!

....I embrace my desire to feel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widow, to feel inspired, to fathom the power, to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain, to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human......
Om Namah Shivaya, I tell you What!

Edited by leery11 (10/24/05 05:53 PM)

OfflineNashbar
just strange.... on drugs
Male User Gallery
Loc: strawberry field
Re: Be Wary of Noobs Who "really, really want to do some mushrooms" [Re: leery11]
    #4846885 - 10/24/05 06:00 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

yeah, those expectations that happen right before and right after dosing often seem to set the trip off on the wrong foot. Spontaneous dosing has anyways been the most rewarding for me.

InvisibleStickyWater
Stranger
Re: Be Wary of Noobs Who "really, really want to do some mushrooms" [Re: Nashbar]
    #4846937 - 10/24/05 06:12 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I spent a couple months doing research before my first trip, and despite this research, and despite not really having any expectations as to what was going to happen, I still made the mistake of fighting it on the come up, but eventualy managed to really get into it, and even managed to talk my friend out of a bad trip, now that I think about it, that was deffinitely my best trip...

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Re: Be Wary of Noobs Who "really, really want to do some mushrooms" [Re: StickyWater]
    #4846992 - 10/24/05 06:29 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I want to stress though, that researching is still not entirely being prepared. I did a TON of research before I tripped the first time but nonetheless I found an on hour in I was thinking "This is for real!!! What have I done to myself!?" This kind of thing happens even with people who have shroomed before, their anticipation for future trips is based on an incomplete memory of their last trip.

--------------------

Invisiblemusher_420
Stranger

#4847046 - 10/24/05 06:41 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

dude I hear that. I have tripped maybe I haven't been counting but im gonna say 10 times a year for three years. We shall call that 30 times. And every time its like a whole new experiance. Beyond words.

--------------------
My Humidifier Reservoir Expansion Tek

Must read links for beginners

Btw- You are not what you own!

OfflineGuerrilla0726
Bringer ofChange
Re: Be Wary of Noobs Who "really, really want to do some mushrooms" [Re: musher_420]
    #4847227 - 10/24/05 07:26 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I think that majority of people who want to trip is because they hear by word of mouth that tripping is 'the shit' and 10x better than being high and can make you feel really happy. The same thing goes for just trying mj your first time, but the benefits aren't as great.

The reason why I started to research tripping was because I tried drinking and smoking and I wondered what other way I could affect my mind and body. After reading a few trip reports from level 1 all the way to 5 I was deeply intrigued and I began a quest of finding a mush dealer. A few months later I tripped and am fascinated by it!

The expectation formed by the n00b has to be a way of being/feeling that tripping will be for them. Thats the best way that I can explain it for myself when I was a n00b, at least. Once I tripped the 1st time on 1.7g I felt that it was what I had expected while it was also what I had not expected.
I think that the bulk of the basis for the expectation is what the user has experienced from being high. It is only my assumption that the n00b is thinking, "it will be like being high, but DEEPER AND MORE high". Sorry that I lack any better way to explain this.

Keep in mind that there are soem people who say, "I really want to try shrooms" and they don't have any expectation AT ALL of what to expect. The more you think about how you just got your first mushies and are going to trip next weekend, the more you will try and presume what the trip will be like.

Offlinedoufus
Stranger
Re: Be Wary of Noobs Who "really, really want to do some mushrooms" [Re: Guerrilla0726]
    #4860426 - 10/27/05 05:57 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

As an entheogen virgin i can lend little to this. But i see lots
of people looking for a drug distraction to soothe their ego. I
getthe impression entheogens can shatter egos- hence the mismatch.

Personally i can't imagine anything worse than swallowing a mish mash
of different drugs, then driving, hitting a series of clubs/bars,
watching TV and eating pizza while tripping then wondering why it
went wrong went you flipped out with paranoia over the pizza guy.

It all seems a bit adolescent- like chugging beer til you puke.

Seems to me entheogens hold up a mirror to you and the deepest
trips show no reflection at all. That would be scary to the
average adolescent or other individual deeply into how they look,
what they own, their sexual attractiveness and all the other
"me" shit.

OfflineDeviate
Re: Be Wary of Noobs Who "really, really want to do some mushrooms" [Re: doufus]
    #4860568 - 10/27/05 06:29 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

so in your view, what is the proper state of mind that would motivate one to take mushrooms?

Offlinedoufus
Stranger
Re: Be Wary of Noobs Who "really, really want to do some mushrooms" [Re: Deviate]
    #4862363 - 10/28/05 01:56 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Deviate said:
so in your view, what is the proper state of mind that would motivate one to take mushrooms?

I don't know if proper is the word i would use. It sounds prescriptive.

If people want to have a distraction experience rather than a
spiritual one, who am i to say different?

It seems pretty adolescent and almost a waste, but then, not
every glass of wine has to be a vintage drop.

I suspect that what CAN go wrong is that people were expecting
a distraction experience and got a spiritual one instead. i.e.
they got insight they weren't seeking. But then, wrong is also
a loaded word. maybe in the end they got lucky!

Invisiblefungusflip
visionary

Loc: texas
Re: Be Wary of Noobs Who "really, really want to do some mushrooms" [Re: doufus]
    #4864910 - 10/28/05 07:57 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

noobs should just get a sitter and take down 5 grams or more and let go. you can tinker with this stuff for years and years before you have a trip as powerful as 5+ grams on your first go. why try to "ease your way in". jump on in head first. testing the waters is a waste of time. in my opinion anywaze. have fun. of course i only suggest this to those who've done their homework and have at least a good idea of what they're getting into. worse case scenario you lose your shit for a few hours and come down & sleep like a newborn. wake up the next day feeling reborn.

--------------------
let it be know, there is a fountain that was not made by the hands of men.

Offlineleery11
I Tell You What!

Re: Be Wary of Noobs Who "really, really want to do some mushrooms" [Re: fungusflip]
    #4865462 - 10/28/05 10:30 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

i don't know, you can deal with stuff that you really don't want to see on any entheogen....

i mean, if you believe in spiritual use, these things can take you to the gates of death, take you into death, take you into conscious nonexistence... and then leave you haunted at the realization of what has just happened to you.

if you're some LET'S GET FUCKED UP YEAYAHAHAHAHAHAHHHHHHH! beer chugging kind of guy and you have an immortality complex and don't even believe in the unknown, and you are taken to the bardo state.. and you can't get out for a long time.

I could see that as just a bit more than rather traumatic.

I mean, I opened my third eye sober once, and even knowing it was natural I was reluctant to step out onto the other side [and was incidentally greeted by my conception of my "higher self" which I said "hi" to and then decided not to pursue things further.]

confronting death is not easy for a lot of people to do no matter how eager for a vacation they are.

--------------------
I am the MacDaddy of Heimlich County, I play it Straight Up Yo!

....I embrace my desire to feel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widow, to feel inspired, to fathom the power, to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain, to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human......
Om Namah Shivaya, I tell you What!

Edited by leery11 (10/28/05 10:31 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract