Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecapsandstems
Stranger
newbie identification: 4 species
    #4838429 - 10/22/05 03:28 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I apologize ahead of time for not following the guidelines my first post. I am not counting on any of these being active, but I'd like opinions on what exactly they are. They were all found in Upstate NY near a creek with lots of coniferous trees about. It is very wet here this week. There are 4 separate species here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29633238@N00/tags/first/
I have no idea what these are. They they are pretty good size, and as you can see by the one with the filename "FIRST02" they formed in more or less a straight line. Opinions welcome

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29633238@N00/tags/second/
When these were younger I thought I had stumbled on Boletus edulis, but these look less edible. Any ideas?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29633238@N00/tags/third/
Amateur first guess: Mycela strombilicola. I wanted these to be some tiny active, but after looking around this forum a bit (and some googling) I think these are strombilicola. Second opinions welcome.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29633238@N00/tags/fourth/
I really wanted these to be cubenis, but I'm doubtful. I took home the cap of one of them that was rotting the next day. Brown gills, no bruising. Smells like a portabella, but as I said, I'm a newbie. Edible?

I realize I provided limited information on these. I will do better in my next post, I promise.

My wife found a puffball in town a couple weeks ago and we brought it home and ate as much as we could over 3 or 4 meals. We're pretty puffballed out.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: newbie identification: 4 species [Re: capsandstems]
    #4838498 - 10/22/05 03:45 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

First, a general tip on photography - we need to see the underside of the caps more than the tops for identification. So, pick one and arrange it so we can see the stem and underside of the cap.

Did you pick any of these and bring them home? If you want to know what a mushroom is, pick it and bring it back for further study.

Spore prints are an essential part of identification. On many mushrooms you can tell what the spore print color is without actually making one, but there are lots of them where you will need to make a spore print to identify them. This is another reason to bring back some specimens of what you find.

The first ones suggest Clitocybe to me, but we really need to see the underside of the caps and there are other questions about them.

The second ones are Lepiotas, close to Chlorophyllum rachodes (=Lepiota rachodes). To verify that you need to make a spore print and check the bruising.

The third ones are probably Mycenas. Identifying Mycenas to species requires a close look at a few features you probably didn't look at in the woods. A spore print would also be important to verify the genus.

The last ones could be Agaricus, but we need to see a spore print and the underside of the cap to really have any shot at making an accurate ID.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineVolvoxBox
ExperimentalMouse

Loc: Mozambik
Re: newbie identification: 4 species [Re: ToxicMan]
    #4840407 - 10/23/05 02:36 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

the second one is macrolepiota, edible.

--------------------
[ www.shkart.com ] - experimental music society - www.insected.com

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom