Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineFreakShow
3n+hu$|@$+
Pins or no pins, that is the ?
    #483132 - 12/07/01 01:49 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Mr. spanky (on top of the cake) would like to know if what he is seeing is pins or just more mycelium growth. He also wonders why there is growth on only one side of the cake. Any ideas?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleblahblahblah
Mad Scientist

Loc: South America
Re: Pins or no pins, that is the ? [Re: FreakShow]
    #483206 - 12/07/01 03:10 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Not pins. "You'll no when they are pins" as someone told me once upon a time. soon though

Offlinefungichick
Your mom
    #483294 - 12/07/01 04:31 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

You tell Mr. Spanky to get off that cake or he'll contaminate it! Use the force and you will know when pins are pins. Pins are more solid than the fluffy situation you got going on...soon soon be patient

Offlineegolesss
veteran
    #483608 - 12/07/01 09:38 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

See those bumps they will be fruits of your labor..

--------------------
Going crazy will drive you mad, but once you get there the rest is easy....All spores are not created equal!!!!!!!!!!! Sporeworks, Hawkseye, PF, they are completely viable with very strong genetics.

OfflineFreakShow
3n+hu$|@$+
Re: Pins or no pins, that is the ? [Re: egolesss]
    #483684 - 12/07/01 11:30 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

cool! =)
btw, which 'bumps' are you referring to? again, this is my first time at this. just excited i guess and happy that I made it this far! From the sound of things, looks I'll have some mushies sometime soon.

btw, is it 'normal' to only be seeing those bumps on one side of the cake? i do have a small office lamp by that corner, could that have something to do with it? also, based on what you see here, what's a normal lifecycle for fruiting to occur? such as length of time etc.? how long before i shoudl see fruits? Anything else I should be doing besides just fanning 2 times a day? the perlite seems to be doing a wonderful job keeping everything humid.

thanks!

OfflinejokerGD
interestedindividual
Loc: Earth
    #483689 - 12/07/01 11:49 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

I would be real careful putting the cake inside the metal lid just like that.

If you are putting the cake directly on the METAL LID... WATCH out!!!!

As your first cake will be your first failure.
What can happen is the water will all slowly drain to the bottom of the cake, and will create a little pool there. What that will lead to is contamination, the top of your cake is kinda not looking kosher to me already.

I see perlite in the background of your cake, so what I would recommend, is take some vermiculite and sterilize it, make it really wet if you want and pressure cook it in jars.

Let that cool down, and make a little 'landing pad' for the cake out of the sterlized wet vermiculite. Then take the cake out of the (BAD) metal lid and put it on top of your landing pad.

An alternative method you may want to consider is, after you build the little wet vermiculite pad on the perlite, put the cake on top of it UPSIDE DOWN, that's right, flip the cake. This will actually give it a more solid base to stand on. And also make sure its in the wet vermiculite very sturdy. You can also put the same sterile wet vermiculite on top of the cake (which is the old bottom).

Make sure to keep the perlite water level proper.

ONE VERY IMPORTANT NOTE:
If that cake is a Mateas Romero (Classic 'PF' strain), watch out man, you will get a whole plantation of aborts. Also, I think eventually the mycelium will overtake the whole little vermiculite landing pad you made for it, and will actually start to grow mushrooms out of that.

Let me know how it goes, and if you have any infection or anything on the bottom. PM me.

-GD

OfflineFreakShow
3n+hu$|@$+
Re: Pins or no pins, that is the ? [Re: jokerGD]
    #483705 - 12/08/01 12:24 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

hey joker,
thanks for the good information! Ok, got the verm. in the microwave right now to be sterilized and when it's cooled down, I'll go ahead and make the verm. pad you mentioned. It actually sounds like a great idea.. something for the cake to rest on that will absorb water instead of allowing for a pool to cause a soggy situation.

regarding the strain i'm using, it's a cambodian cub. strain. I got the spores at a local head shop. it's all i know of them.

as for the top of the cake, it's actually the bottom, i've already flipped it over. What you see there was at the bottom of the jar originally. And for the brownish color, actually, i think it's just my dig. camera. The cake is actually all white and looks very healthy. That particular cake has been the healhtiest from the beginning. I need to get a flash for my camera really bad, it can make things look discolored and just generally bad.

i'll snap a few pics once i've got the new launchpad made. =)
thanks again!

(hey cool avatar btw. i used to play quake/q2 all the time, but now it's UT). =)

Edited by FreakShow (12/08/01 12:27 AM)

OfflineFreakShow
3n+hu$|@$+
    #483722 - 12/08/01 01:08 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

ok, did as you said and put them on a damp verm. 'launchpad'. here's a pic of the results. is this correct?

Edited by FreakShow (12/08/01 03:21 AM)

OfflinejokerGD
interestedindividual
Loc: Earth
    #483752 - 12/08/01 02:01 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

How did it look underneat the cake, when you took it off the metal lid.

OfflineFreakShow
3n+hu$|@$+
    #483773 - 12/08/01 03:01 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

it looked fine...just some vermiculite left over from what used to be the top of the jar. and some mycel. growing through. i can take a pic if you need to see it
i only birthed it 2 days ago

OfflineFreakShow
3n+hu$|@$+
    #489522 - 12/13/01 03:42 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

here's an updated pic of my cake. looks about the same today as about 5 days ago, except some of the tips of the mycel. growth are turning a bit blue.
any ideas???

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag