Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

H5N1 - What are your plans should an Avian Influenza Pandemic strike?
    #4820215 - 10/18/05 11:12 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

We all have heard it on the news and took it with a grain or a heaping tablespoon of salt: the asian bird flu, an Avian Influenza that rages through Asia, kills chickens etc by the truckload and effectively freaks virologists out like few things before it.

So what's the fuss all about?

The attached .pdf is a short primer on Influenza, an easy 12 page read that'll give you an outline of what Influenza really is.

So, what is the fuss all about?

The strain in asia is a H5N1 variant of Influenza A, a highly contagious and severe form of bird flu. There is the distinct possibility that this viral disease may suddenly mutate into a strain that is highly contageous and fairly dangerous in man.

This "super flu" is nothing new, in fact these worldwide epidemics (pandemics) occur every so often, and it looksd like we might be up for a new one.

Do not confuse this with the garden variety influenza we all get every now and then: the most famous "superflu", the so-called "Spanish Flu" of 1918, caused more fatalities than the entire First World War with its bombs, machineguns and poison gases.

It's best to picture a very, very bad case of the common cold which lasts the full two weeks. Most people who catch it will survive it but perhaps a few percent of the people may not.

Suppose that in a major city 1.000.000 people catch the disease to the point of being unfit for work and that 25.000 of them will die in a one month period. You can easily see how this may paralyse that city's functioning to a degree roughly comparable with the New Orleans catastrophe. Hospitals may get flooded, medical personnel may fall ill themselves. In this worst case scenario we might be in for a shocking worldwide disaster that might be lethal to tens of millions of people.

Have you thought about it?
What will you do when the big wave hits? Or rather, what will you do a short time before the big wave hits?

There is no reason to get worked up about this, but there's also no reason to sit on your ass and not give this some thought.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: H5N1 - What are your plans should an Avian Influenza Pandemic strike? [Re: Asante]
    #4820249 - 10/18/05 11:21 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I myself am currently looking into antivirals, relocation with my close ones to the countryside and other means of action. I'm subscribed to two influenza epidemic newsletters, one national, the other continental.

I expect a vaccination to be available within a month after shit starts hitting the fan, so in my view its a matter of riding out those mere few weeks without catching the disease.

One measure I will certainly take is going on a regimen of 1gr ascorbic acid for every 20kg=50lbs bodyweight daily, in three divided doses, the moment Avian flu becomes a threat. Multigram quantities of vitamin c have proven to be effective in preventing and managing influenza, it is no old wives tale.

Please note that I'm not screaming "FIRE!!" but rather am calmly informing you that a fire might start within perhaps a few months from now.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

Invisiblecateyes
 User Gallery
Re: H5N1 - What are your plans should an Avian Influenza Pandemic strike? [Re: Asante]
    #4820508 - 10/18/05 12:47 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

i didn't realize this flu was dangerous enough to consider moving the family to the countryside. i have 45 acres in upstate ny. do you think that is far enough away? thank you for the heads up

peace

cateyes

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: H5N1 - What are your plans should an Avian Influenza Pandemic strike? [Re: cateyes]
    #4820616 - 10/18/05 01:12 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

At the moment it has potential to become very dangerous but it's not (yet) developed into a superflu. It's not evolved into a dangerous form yet, but it may do so in the future and from that day onward shit will hit the fan.

Quote:

i have 45 acres in upstate ny. do you think that is far enough away?

It's not like you need to put miles between you and the rest of the world, just enough distance not to ordinarily catch a cold. The 45 acres themselves will be more then large enough even if they were in the middle of the city.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

OfflineMJF
Human Being
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between 15 and 45 degrees long...
    #4820746 - 10/18/05 01:33 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

sick i better stop using publick computers and then touching my face/mouth

Offlineleery11
I Tell You What!

Re: H5N1 - What are your plans should an Avian Influenza Pandemic strike? [Re: MJF]
    #4821454 - 10/18/05 04:21 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I'll hope not to catch it and if I catch it I'll hope not to die. I don't have the money to really prepare to do some weirdo survivalist stint out in the country with stockpiles of food and water and guns and such.....

--------------------
I am the MacDaddy of Heimlich County, I play it Straight Up Yo!

....I embrace my desire to feel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widow, to feel inspired, to fathom the power, to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain, to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human......
Om Namah Shivaya, I tell you What!

Invisiblecateyes
 User Gallery
Re: H5N1 - What are your plans should an Avian Influenza Pandemic strike? [Re: leery11]
    #4824163 - 10/19/05 09:07 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

leery11 said:
I'll hope not to catch it and if I catch it I'll hope not to die. I don't have the money to really prepare to do some weirdo survivalist stint out in the country with stockpiles of food and water and guns and such.....

you can stay with us...

all kidding aside i feel the best way to prepare for this potential problem is to make sure your own immune system can handle this...

peace

cateyes

Edited by cateyes (10/20/05 12:20 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies