Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleDaxMiddler
journeyman
Loc: Cambodia
Spore Syringe Problems, HELP!
    #482334 - 12/06/01 09:13 PM (15 years, 18 hours ago)

I have always purchased spore syringes through the mail. I have been using the standard cubensis that PF sells. Recently I tried making my own spore syringes so that I wouldn't have to purchase them anymore. I took a fairly mature cap, still curved, but the veil had broken a long time ago. I placed it in a shot glass gill side down with the stem removed. I let it sit, covered, for 2 days. On the second day I took and old syringe and filled it with boiling water a few times. I let it cool and then removed the cap from the glass. I shot my water into the glass and scrapped the spores from the side and quickly sucked them up. It sat for about a week before I used it. I also noticed that there were probably at least 5 times as many spores compared to a normal syringe I'd buy. As a control to my experiment I innoculated jars with a purchased syringe as well. The purchased spores show about 40% colonization and my box of jars shows none. No colonization at all, except on one jar in about a 1/2 inch circle. What did I do wrong? Could it be that I used tap water? I thought boiling would make it clean enough for spores. All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Dax

--------------------
Dax

What I write is a lie. I read it somwhere else.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineflaw
enthusiast
Re: Spore Syringe Problems, HELP! [Re: DaxMiddler]
    #482608 - 12/07/01 02:19 AM (15 years, 13 hours ago)

Well the obvious question is did you wait long enough for the water in the syringe to cool before injecting it into the glass to take in the spores.

Perhaps you did, I have had a similiar low germination rate for a while now with my own syringes though my spores are 2 years old which may be a factor.

Just out of curiousity did you boil your syringe or was this a new one?. (I have noticed a distinct 'residue' left after boiling syringes that I suspect is plastic, I'm suspicious that perhaps it inhibits spore growth somehow because it seems that fresh syringes produce far quicker and better results.

I have also noticed that my syringes are absolutely disgusting despite the fact they have been boiled. My advice would be that either you take the syringe fully apart and clean well or you throw them away after one or two re-uses. I have been using the same syringes for probably 6 times now and well.. they are stuffed and I have had significant contamination lately - infact its 100% now. (along with very slow growth signs).

Anyway.. do answer soon.

InvisibleDaxMiddler
journeyman
Re: Spore Syringe Problems, HELP! [Re: flaw]
    #482656 - 12/07/01 03:19 AM (15 years, 12 hours ago)

Yes. I waited for the syringes to be cool to the touch (had been sitting for 2 days) before sucking up the spores. These are syringes I reused from PF. They had been sitting for a while, empty and dry, so I drew in and pushed out boiling water 4-5 times on each of them. I never actually submerged the whole syringe in water. Then when drawing in water for the last time, I kept the water in it and let it cool with the needle cap on.

I figured this was standard practice. I didn't notice any residue and the plunger still travels smoothly through the shaft. I appreciate your quick responce. Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Dax

--------------------
Dax

OfflineAzure
old hand
Loc: California, USA
Re: Spore Syringe Problems, HELP! [Re: DaxMiddler]
    #482913 - 12/07/01 11:49 AM (15 years, 3 hours ago)

Keep an eye out for bacteria. Also, sometimes the spores just don't hydrate and take months to germinate.

InvisibleDaxMiddler
journeyman
Re: Spore Syringe Problems, HELP! [Re: Azure]
    #483051 - 12/07/01 02:28 PM (15 years, 1 hour ago)

How long should i have let my syringes sit for the spores to completely hydrate. Does anyone know how PF makes theirs? Or what a more common practice is. If I was to make spore prints, what could I do with those differently than I'm doing now? Thanks.

--------------------
Dax

Offlinemystic1
addict
Re: Spore Syringe Problems, HELP! [Re: Azure]
    #483314 - 12/07/01 06:52 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

do they really take months sometimes??????

--------------------
realize,realize,realize
real eyes, realize, real lies
http://www.shroomery.org/wwwthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Forum4&Number=399368&fpart=1

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology