Home | Community | Message Board

Reliable Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
This thread is very old and might contain outdated or inaccurate information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleThePerspective
EuphoricFantasia

Re: do you dunk your poo?? [Re: _OttO_]
    #4818504 - 10/18/05 12:11 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

I'm saying that by putting it into the most infected room in the house, the cold is negated. And that bad molds and the like will still flourish in a fridge.

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
OfflinePrajna
ReliablyUnreliable
 User Gallery

Loc: Proud Canadian
Re: do you dunk your poo?? [Re: ThePerspective]
    #4818555 - 10/18/05 12:22 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Common sense says no one grows better than mother nature...why subject mycelium to anything that they wouldn't encounter naturally...gotta go with ThePerspective on this one. Besides if I'm trying to prevent contams, the fridge is the LAST place that I want to be...

--------------------

Offline_OttO_
Over Stimulated
 User Gallery

Loc: Up Over
Trusted Cultivator
    #4818604 - 10/18/05 12:32 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

If bad moulds flourish in your fridge, I think its broken. I havent cleaned my fridge for 3 months and there is nothing at all growing in it on anyhting.

But I still see where your coming from, I can see why you think there is a higher level of contams in a fridge - because of the fact its full of foodstuff.

In the other thread discussing cold shocking you said this -

Quote:

ThePerspective said:
Everytime you open that door, another suck-in of contaminated warm kitchen air happens.

So what you are saying is that the air in the kitchen is contaminated ANYWAY (which is right - all rooms in all houses are full of billions of spores looking for a home). But there is simply no argument that cold temps SLOW the rate at which all spores and bacteria grow, that is the whole point of a fridge in the first place.

Your casings are obviously exposed to contamination wherever they are, so what is the harm in putting them in the fridge to SLOW the spread of contamination right down??

Invisiblejarroddupont
I shroom we Allshroom

Loc: midwest of ...
Re: do you dunk your poo?? [Re: _OttO_]
    #4818639 - 10/18/05 12:43 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

I don't have a problem beside the fact that this thread is days old and is only being continued by a difference in opinion. If you guys want to argue, I think, IMO, you should PM eachother. Sorry if it seems I'm being an asshole, I'm just rather annoyed that you guys are arguing over a difference of opinion and keeping a dead thread alive. If you would Like to contiue your debate, consider posting a thread in the contamination forum; Subject: FRIDGES AND CONTAMS

just a thought, and once again, IMO

--------------------
P. Cubensis Growth Parameters
"All mushrooms are edible, but some only once."
-- Croatian Proverb

InvisibleThePerspective
EuphoricFantasia

Re: do you dunk your poo?? [Re: jarroddupont]
    #4818662 - 10/18/05 12:49 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

I'm saying once again, that kitchen air IS the most contaminated in the house. Your sink in a kitchen is more contamed than even your toilet. And the harm in it is you have to transport across x rooms to get to the kitchen which may be a vector as it's done 2x, and once again, because the mycelium network takes a hit from such unnatural temps, and all of the possible contams might have a chance to get a hold in this time.

And providing information about a sterility issue in cultivation is a worthwhile cause. Bad information should be abolished, not practiced.

Offline_OttO_
Over Stimulated
 User Gallery

Loc: Up Over
Trusted Cultivator
    #4818774 - 10/18/05 01:08 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Like I said, I totally see your point, just disagreed with the cold temps/contamination thing. Fridges are designed prevent contamination from happening, period.

I keep my kitchen as clean as a normal kitchen should be, I do all my work in there including open air inoculation of Liquid Cultures from prints, and to date I have never ever had one contam. I conduct all growing procedures with bare hands, I just give em a quick wash with soap before, and likewise handle all casings etc in the same way.

Basically, I think unless you live in a pig stye, and if you are generally sensible when growing, IME contams arent a huge issue.

OfflinePrajna
ReliablyUnreliable
 User Gallery

#4818807 - 10/18/05 01:14 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

This is from parenting magazine:

(Not the Journal of nature or anything...but not a bad source either)

"...Researchers at The University of Arizona in Tucson, swabbed hundreds of surfaces, which can harbor disease causing germs, to determine the most unhygienic areas of commonly found in the home and in public areas.

In Your Home

Experts say the most likely place to find disgusting bacteria is right in your kitchen. To prevent food poisoning and respiratory illnesses, it's important to know where these bacteria live. The greatest number of fecal bacteria actually are found in the kitchen sink and the least number in your bathroom. Actually, there are 200 times more fecal bacteria on your cutting board than on a toilet seat. Based on this testing of homes, here are the top five hot spots:

* The kitchen sponge of dish rag is a germ's favorite place to live with 6,000 bacteria per square centimeter.
* The kitchen sink comes in second.
* The bathroom sink is third.
* Kitchen tap handles are fourth.
* And the refrigerator is fifth.

Note: The top of the toilet seat comes in dead last with less than one bacterium per square centimeter.

Hmmm...Doesn't sound too clean to me.

And Jarrod,

I think this is a debate more than a fight...why not talk about it.
This is not the only time that cold shocking will come up, let people read others opinions and come up with their own opinions.

What's the use of these two having a PM war over this?... then no one can benefit from their discussion. What's the big deal?

--------------------

Invisiblejarroddupont
I shroom we Allshroom

Loc: midwest of ...
Re: do you dunk your poo?? [Re: Prajna]
    #4818911 - 10/18/05 01:35 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

"THE POSTER WILL DECIDE WHO'S ADVICE HE WANTS TO TAKE AND WILL LEARN WHO'S CORRECT THROUGH TRIAL AND ERROR"

Did I or Did I not say that???

--------------------
P. Cubensis Growth Parameters
"All mushrooms are edible, but some only once."
-- Croatian Proverb

OfflinePrajna
ReliablyUnreliable
 User Gallery

Re: do you dunk your poo?? [Re: jarroddupont]
    #4819000 - 10/18/05 02:00 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Why are you yelling?

My point is that not only the poster is reading this. This is the nature of a board. It's for everybody.

I've read five pages of this "old post" and I am still interested in the debate, so what's wrong with re-visiting it?

I actually was wondering about the pertinence of cold shocking casings myself, and this post has helped me realize that I tend to agree with ThePerspective on this.

Not that he's right or wrong but that's why the board is cool right? Cuz we can all learn from it, not every post is JUST for the poster.

I just don't understand why you're so hot under the collar about this one bro...whatever...nuff said about it then.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom