Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Musing vs. Thinking
    #4816003 - 10/17/05 12:47 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Forget facts, research, evidence, or logic. If it makes you go "hmmm" it must be smart, right?

Think about it dude, imagine the universe is infinitely large and infinitely small at the same time. Isn't that fucking tripped out? Does it even really mean anything?

Everything is nothing. That's some deep shit right there. It's like, up is down and stuff, which is even true because in Australia up really IS down!

Do you think that maybe light is just regular atoms where the protons are spinning around the nucleus extra super fast? Oh yeah, some scientist says that's wrong? Is he calling me stupid? That's not fair! I want to be able to make big important discoveries just like the scientists! Science is totally prejudiced against people who don't spend like, THEIR ENTIRE LIVES studying it. Hey, just because I'm not a huge loser doesn't mean I'm not as smart as the scientists. Geez.

Muse all day folks, does it actually get you anywhere? Is it really just a refuge for people who want to be smart without having to do any actual work?

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: Musing vs. Thinking [Re: Phluck]
    #4816033 - 10/17/05 12:56 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

what is wrong with musing? I dont think anyone on this forum (i hope) is under the delusion that they ever came up with something first, or are breaking in some fascinating new idea or view.
You think that anything which is talked about in this forum is new? or groundbreaking? Maybe if you genius skeptic types could stop hounding people for idealism, daydreaming, and musing long enough, we might get to see the really PROFOUNDLY DEEP, MOVING, MINDBLOWING THREADS.... right?

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Re: Musing vs. Thinking [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #4816185 - 10/17/05 01:33 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

It has nothing to do with being first or original.

Musing is the act of completely making things up, and then assigning an exagerrated importance to them.

When you don't study for an exam and get an essay question, it's called bullshitting, but it's the same thing.

Nobody here is going to come up with anything groundbreaking or interesting on the topic of the true nature of the universe. That area has been explored to death and the only people breaking new ground are the people working with a vast array of complicated knowledge, not stoned youths stroking their egos by trying to say something "deep".

There are plenty of other topics which can be explored without simply bullshitting, but if you think you can come up with answers by just sitting there musing away, you're going to be disapointed.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
    #4816212 - 10/17/05 01:37 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

So where exactly are you drawing the line between trite and important within this forum?
Wouldnt any discussion fit for this forum be trite? and merely bullshitters stroking their ego?

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#4816235 - 10/17/05 01:43 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Well, pretty much any post in here is ego stroking, but some have validity and others don't. For instance, if you completely fabricate a "theory" using your creativity, that's being creative, not engaging in thought. Claiming that such a theory is anything more than creative writing is excessive ego stroking, to the extent of douchebaggery.

Now, if your theory is backed up with some logic, rationale, or testing, that's another story altogether.

--------------------

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
    #4816357 - 10/17/05 02:12 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Just rip the musing theories apart with scientific, rational or logic means. That should do the job.

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
Re: Musing vs. Thinking [Re: Phluck] * 1
    #4818603 - 10/17/05 10:32 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

The essence of this post reminded me of my experience with watching the movie Waking Life.

To me, it was just an hour plus of philosophical musings with trippy graphics. I posted here after I saw it saying that it would've been better to me, had they just written a movie script of people applying the application of those philosophies instead of just talking about them. I would've preferred to have seen them in practical action in film. I can read about them in books and already did. Seeing them put to use would've rocked.

Instead, it was mostly just people musing and thinking out loud, cept for that dude who lit himself on fire.

Musing is something humans do. You'll never stop it.

Consider this. When reading in a philosophy forum, what else do you expect to see but philosophical musings. All we can do is talk here.

That doesn't mean, that some people are not applying the philosophical musings in a an active way to improve the quality of their life.  We can't see how people act and apply them when they are away from the board, if they do. I would think many here do apply their philosophies to the ways they live, or at least work to or why bother with this forum.

In other words, it all looks like talk here because that is what this is, a board for talk. The action takes place away from the board.

Maybe more should start talking about the experiences they have with practical applications to help those who don't know how to take the ball "musing" and run with it.

Maybe this post is a good reminder to apply the talkie talk and put it to work and action when we leave the forums and to test some new stuff out from time to time as well.

Maybe if more people talked about their experiences here with philosophical applications, it wouldn't read like watching waking life so much.

Just some considerations I wanted to put out there.

Something just dawned on me. Sometimes, people do discuss their experiences with applying personal philosophies and mention how they improved their life. Then a skeptic might come along and say, "isn't it all in your mind that your life actually improved?"

Whats the difference?

Where else do we live if not in our own minds?

Here's an experiment for those up to the challenge. Try to live out of your mind for a while and then come back and tell us all about it and how you did it. :smirk:

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Offlineincubaby_421
half naked andfull witted
 User Gallery

Loc: the center of the univers...
Re: Musing vs. Thinking [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #4818640 - 10/17/05 10:43 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

im sorry that you feel that way
i dont look for knowledge within pages
i seek it within the universe
everything you need to know is at your fingertips
so long as you arent in a library...

mother nature has tought me thousands of times of what any teacher or all teachers combined ever did...

and really...

what is research? besides advanced musing???

isnt that what you do, scientist?
you come up with a thoery, and then test it, well, what the fuck were you doing when you came up with that htoery, musing, i bbelieve, by your own definition,

--------------------
"yet the more i dig, the more i consume, the more i unfold... the less protected i feel.
i am the spit on the hair of the son of an electron, swimming around the nucleus of a cell inside the sperm of a killer bee, and my purpose is as nebulous as why weve been bestowed with the capacity to give a shit" Brandon Boyd

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: Musing vs. Thinking [Re: incubaby_421]
    #4818962 - 10/17/05 11:46 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Did you mean to reply to me?

I agree with you about the living part. We have a science and tech forum for scientific thinking. This is a philosophy forum for philosophical thinking, which may read like musing to many. I'm not sure of the difference between musing and thinking myself. Isn't musing just being amused by your thoughts? If you are serious about them, yet act on them either way, isn't it more fun to muse your way through thinking instead of being serious through it?

Sounds joyful to me. Most of my thoughts beat television or reality and are quite entertaining to me. Most launch me into action as well.
I use philosophical musings to gain deeper understanding or to problem solve myself. It is a creative learning action for me.

We can't separate ourselves from being natural philosophers. We all have personal philosophies for how we keep home, groom, socialize, etc.

We can't separate ourselves from being natural scientists either. We all explore and discover, put life to the test and live through trial and error and observations. I think the works of the natural scientists in us give rise to the philosopher in us.

Scientists muse too, of course. Innovators in the field of science have to be highly creative and must muse a lot I would think. How else do they come up with cell phones that ring your favorite song or conceive of the ultimate roller coaster before engineering its design?

Besides, I replied to Phluck wondering if he considered that many musings here are perhaps taken more seriously in private thoughts and are acted on off the forum in a practical way.

Stuff like "when does food become poo" is a bit to deep for me. Some people really go places in thought here man. :shrug:

Whatever:lol:

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

jiggy
Female User Gallery

#4819129 - 10/18/05 12:28 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I got curious to know the defintions between thinking and musing so I looked up musing. Here is what Websters had to say on musing.

mus?ing ( P ) Pronunciation Key (myzng)
adj.
Deep in thought; contemplative.

n.
Contemplation; meditation.
A product of contemplation; a thought. ?an elegant tapestry of quotations, musings, aphorisms, and autobiographical reflections? (James Atlas).

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
    #4819695 - 10/18/05 06:52 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

gettinjiggywithit said:

Maybe if more people talked about their experiences here with philosophical applications, it wouldn't read like watching waking life so much.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Something just dawned on me. Sometimes, people do discuss their experiences with applying personal philosophies and mention how they improved their life. Then a skeptic might come along and say, "isn't it all in your mind that your life actually improved?"

Whats the difference?

yeah, but we got rid of personal experiences when we made the split. All personal experiences are fallible, and have no basis or support in the eyes of the skeptical community.
To muse, is to experience possibilities in your own mind, however flawed they might be in true application. As if the worlds philosophers really used deductive reasoning and the scientific process to arrive at their philosophies, and not musing about lifes experiences, or musing about musing about lifes experiences.... cause after all, wasnt this thread merely a musing about musing? sometimes when you complain about the whiner, you become the whiner.

OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

Loc: BC province
    #4820525 - 10/18/05 12:53 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Phluck said: Science is totally prejudiced against people who don't spend like, THEIR ENTIRE LIVES studying it.

um, science is prejudiced against non-scientists.

Cowboys are prejudiced against non-cowboys.

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
    #4820838 - 10/18/05 01:55 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Phluck said:
Musing is the act of completely making things up, and then assigning an exagerrated importance to them.

Where did you find that definition?

I would agree with the first part, musing is the act of making things up....but not necessarily "assigning an exagerrated importance to them". Einstein was musing when he thought about what it would be like to ride along side a beam of light.

That doesn't make musing itself a good or bad thing - just another human activity with the potential to produce something or nothing at all. A teenage stoner musing in his friend's basement may exaggerate such ideas, but that isn't a necessary part of musing. On the other side of things, I expect Einstein mused on a great deal of things that went absolutely nowhere - in between those musings that turned out to be valid.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

jiggy
Female User Gallery

#4820923 - 10/18/05 02:15 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Indeed, the irony of musing on the impracticality of musing. Perhaps musing does have a practical function if it leads one to conclude that musing does not have one.

Isn't that what is called circular logic?

If musings are just the product of contemplative or reflective thought then, I think they serve a great function and purpose.

Perhaps they serve the creative arts better then science yet, the thought of a scientific community that does not contemplate or reflect on its methods, discoveries and innovations is sort of frightening.

It's my understanding that Einstein did a lot of contemplating and reflecting on nuclear technology being put in the hands of human kind. Prior contemplation, working with hypotheticals and after thought in a reflective matter I think are vital tools for our survival as we progress in any area of life.

Just my opinions. I'd be curious to hear an argument against the scientific use of contemplation, working with hypotheticals and reflection, if that's what musings are.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: Musing vs. Thinking [Re: Zekebomb]
    #4821847 - 10/18/05 06:07 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Zekebomb said:
Quote:

Phluck said: Science is totally prejudiced against people who don't spend like, THEIR ENTIRE LIVES studying it.

um, science is prejudiced against non-scientists.

Cowboys are prejudiced against non-cowboys.

Science is prejudiced against stupidity.

--------------------

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: Musing vs. Thinking [Re: Silversoul]
    #4821911 - 10/18/05 06:17 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

actually science is prejudice against anything which shakes or questions the foundation of their understanding of the universe... just like religions...

history is crowded with stories of idealist peoples being scoffed at by the "scientific community" , and then turning that community on its nose.

Scientist are no different than what the very first post of this thread described... (not quoting here) "they want to think that they were the ones who figured something out which is brand new, all their own, and fill themselves with the illusions of grandeur" yet when someone comes by with a theory that challenges theirs, they get quite upset.

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

#4821935 - 10/18/05 06:21 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Like I said, science is prejudiced against stupidity.

--------------------

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
    #4821943 - 10/18/05 06:22 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

and the scientists deem who and what is stupid? soudns like a great blueprint for advancement!

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

#4821949 - 10/18/05 06:24 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

psilocyberin said:
and the scientists deem who and what is stupid? soudns like a great blueprint for advancement!

No, but assertions which contradict science generally tend to be made by stupid people.

--------------------

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
    #4822018 - 10/18/05 06:36 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

So, in your opinion, whatever group of scientists hop on to whatever current "theory of the universe and all its working" which is at that time the most popular, get to decide who is stupid and who isnt?

it usually isnt your regular joe blow that your scientist is scared of, it is other scientists, which have the insanity/capacity to test and follow through with ideas and concepts which break the limits of "rational thought and current ideology".

Every scientist which has devloped something truly revolutionary has met their fair share of resistance from the popular opinion, as well as elation from the non-patent holders.

If things really worked the way you outlined them, we would be a society in stasis, stagnating in its own scientific redundancy.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order