Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

pot is good for your head
    #4807085 - 10/15/05 11:23 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/s...ienceandHealth/

Quote:

By DAWN WALTON

Friday, October 14, 2005 Posted at 3:57 AM EDT

From Friday's Globe and Mail

Calgary ? Forget the stereotype about dopey potheads. It seems marijuana could be good for your brain.

While other studies have shown that periodic use of marijuana can cause memory loss and impair learning and a host of other health problems down the road, new research suggests the drug could have some benefits when administered regularly in a highly potent form.

Most "drugs of abuse" such as alcohol, heroin, cocaine and nicotine suppress growth of new brain cells. However, researchers found that cannabinoids promoted generation of new neurons in rats' hippocampuses.

Hippocampuses are the part of the brain responsible for learning and memory, and the study held true for either plant-derived or the synthetic version of cannabinoids.

Advertisements
Click Heread1
Register

"This is quite a surprise," said Xia Zhang, an associate professor with the Neuropsychiatry Research Unit at the University of Saskatchewan in Saskatoon.

"Chronic use of marijuana may actually improve learning memory when the new neurons in the hippocampus can mature in two or three months," he added.

The research by Dr. Zhang and a team of international researchers is to be published in the November issue of the Journal of Clinical Investigation, but their findings are on-line now.

The scientists also noticed that cannabinoids curbed depression and anxiety, which Dr. Zhang says, suggests a correlation between neurogenesis and mood swings. (Or, it at least partly explains the feelings of relaxation and euphoria of a pot-induced high.)

Other scientists have suggested that depression is triggered when too few new brain cells are created in the hippocampus. One researcher of neuropharmacology said he was "puzzled" by the findings.

As enthusiastic as Dr. Zhang is about the potential health benefits, he warns against running out for a toke in a bid to beef up brain power or calm nerves.

The team injected laboratory rats with a synthetic substance called HU-210, which is similar, but 100 times as potent as THC (delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol), the compound responsible for giving marijuana users a high.

They found that the rats treated regularly with a high dose of HU-210 -- twice a day for 10 days -- showed growth of neurons in the hippocampus. The researchers don't know if pot, which isn't as pure as the lab-produced version, would have the same effect.

"There's a big gap between rats and humans," Dr. Zhang points out.

But there is a lot of interest -- and controversy -- around the use of cannabinoids to improve human health.

Cannabinoids, such as marijuana and hashish, have been used to address pain, nausea, vomiting, seizures caused by epilepsy, ischemic stroke, cerebral trauma, tumours, multiple sclerosis and a host of other maladies.

There are herbal cannabinoids, which come from the cannabis plant, and the bodies of humans and animals produce endogenous cannabinoids. The substance can also be designed in the lab.

Cannabinoids can trigger the body's two cannabinoid receptors, which control the activity of various cells in the body.

One receptor, known as CB1, is found primarily in the brain. The other receptor, CB2, was thought to be found only in the immune system.

However, in a separate study to be published today in the journal Science, a group of international researchers have located the CB2 receptor in the brain stems of rats, mice and ferrets.

The brain stem is responsible for basic body function such as breathing and the gastrointestinal tract. If stimulated in a certain way, CB2 could be harnessed to eliminate the nausea and vomiting associated with post-operative analgesics or cancer and AIDS treatments, according to the researchers.

"Ultimately, new therapies could be developed as a result of these findings," said Keith Sharkey, a gastrointestinal neuroscientist at the University of Calgary, lead author of the study.

(Scientists are trying to find ways to block CB1 as a way to decrease food cravings and limit dependence on tobacco.)

When asked whether his findings explain why some swear by pot as a way to avoid the queasy feeling of a hangover, Dr. Sharkey paused and replied: "It does not explain the effects of smoked or inhaled or ingested substances."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: pot is good for your head [Re: Vvellum]
    #4807105 - 10/15/05 11:27 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I'm a motherfucking genius

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

OfflineNashbar
just strange.... on drugs
Male User Gallery
Loc: strawberry field
Re: pot is good for your head [Re: afoaf]
    #4807110 - 10/15/05 11:28 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

no wonder why I'm so smart

OfflineLicense_to_Chill
Stranger
Male

Re: pot is good for your head [Re: Nashbar]
    #4807177 - 10/15/05 11:41 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Interesting... :strokebeard:

--------------------
"I sat on the bus next to God once,
he told me about the true meaning of life...
then he gave me a pretzel..."

OfflineWysefool
I AM SKELETON JELLY
Male User Gallery
    #4807263 - 10/15/05 12:07 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

It doesn't really surprise me. Wasn't it Bill Hicks who said when you smoke pot you don't become more stupid, you just realize all that stuff isn't worth doing. Much easier to learn from experience IMO then having education forced upon you at a young age. The problem is they make you learn things you don't really care to, especially in elementary school, and the whole knowledge thing becomes negative.

--------------------
]

OfflineFade_To_Black
Fire It Up

Folding@home Statistics
Re: pot is good for your head [Re: Wysefool]
    #4807322 - 10/15/05 12:26 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

hell yeah.. it would explain how i remember everything new i play really fast on the guitar. most of the time i pick up and start picking is when im stoned.

--------------------

OfflineFade_To_Black
Fire It Up

Folding@home Statistics
Re: pot is good for your head [Re: Fade_To_Black]
    #4807345 - 10/15/05 12:34 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

--------------------

OfflineWysefool
I AM SKELETON JELLY
Male User Gallery
Re: pot is good for your head [Re: Fade_To_Black]
    #4807384 - 10/15/05 12:43 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Here's to hoping HU-210 is the next-generation antidepressant! :toast:

--------------------
]

InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

#4807400 - 10/15/05 12:47 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I posted an article on this in the news forum yesterday. It makes me wonder when the federal government will reschedule cannabis, seeing as how more and more "accepted medical uses" are being uncovered.

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

Re: pot is good for your head [Re: DNKYD]
    #4807464 - 10/15/05 01:04 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

exactly

OfflineFade_To_Black
Fire It Up

Folding@home Statistics
    #4807469 - 10/15/05 01:05 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Wysefool said:
Here's to hoping HU-210 is the next-generation antidepressant! :toast:

as well as a great price drop.. right now, the lowest oral dose, a 1mg unit of HU-210 is $30.00 a pop.

--------------------

OfflineWysefool
I AM SKELETON JELLY
Male User Gallery
    #4807508 - 10/15/05 01:17 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

All these years I've been told smoking pot was the reason for my depression.

Self-Medicating indeed, and doing a much better job at it than my doctor's pill pushing ass!

--------------------
]

OfflineFade_To_Black
Fire It Up

Folding@home Statistics
    #4807519 - 10/15/05 01:19 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Wysefool said:
All these years I've been told smoking pot was the reason for my depression.

Self-Medicating indeed, and doing a much better job at it than my doctor's pill pushing ass!

Hear, Hear!  :laugh:

--------------------

OfflineNoviseer
Percussion isFree
 User Gallery

#4807544 - 10/15/05 01:27 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Well here is my hypothesis:

when you first try marijuana, maybe your first 10-20 exposures, you sure as hell create lots of new neurons.... your brain has to adapt to your suddenly wide perspective on things, doors are opened, etc. You stimulate your cognition, learn new things, and your brain adapts accordingly. Those rats had never so much as smelled cannabis, and suddenly they're hit with a chemical 100 times more potent than THC? You better believe they're going to grow some neurons. When you play a new chord on the guitar, you grow some neurons... its not that unusual.

The thing is, there's got to be a limitation on this. Your typical 24 year old stoner living with his parents isnt, IMO, doing his brain a service by rippin that bong to go to sleep every night in his basement lol. Cannabis stops being 'novel' pretty quickly, and then just becomes a fun thing to do, or an escape mechanism, or a dependence... depending on who you are and how you look at it.

Quit smoking pot for a month, see how you think and feel, and then decide if its really 'good' for your brain.

--------------------

OfflineWysefool
I AM SKELETON JELLY
Male User Gallery
Re: pot is good for your head [Re: Noviseer]
    #4807626 - 10/15/05 01:49 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I've quit pot for extended periods a lot of times. It's an interesting break, I notice I watch a lot more movies and TV and play videogames. It's things you would expect a stoned person to do but I did them more often when I was sober, when I'm stoned I'm usually right here at the computer on these forums, and I think that's more productive than movies, TV, and videogames.

I know what you mean by the typical 24 y/o stoner but IMO it's not because this stoner doesn't want to get a job and move out, it's just harder when you're a stoner. At least to find a DECENT job. Why? Because being stoned is illegal and bad and when you're stoned you can't do your work well. :rolleyes:

The way I'm looking at it is being discriminated for my choice of anti-depressant. I think I've been in denial about this anti-depressant aspect of my pot-smoking for awhile. But if it can be scientifically proven that I'm medicating and not just running away from my problems as I've been told all these years (which really sounds like more of an alcohol, or harder drug behavior). Pot has made me think so much about my problems to the point I had a panic attack, how can that be labelled as escapism?

--------------------
]

InvisibleHELLA_TIGHT
Madge the Smoking Vag
Female User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Afghanistan Flag
    #4807772 - 10/15/05 02:38 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

"I know what you mean by the typical 24 y/o stoner but IMO it's not because this stoner doesn't want to get a job and move out, it's just harder when you're a stoner. At least to find a DECENT job. Why? Because being stoned is illegal and bad and when you're stoned you can't do your work well."

Bullshit. It's because potheads are lazy.

--------------------

InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

Re: pot is good for your head [Re: HELLA_TIGHT]
    #4807824 - 10/15/05 02:50 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Yes, potheads are lazy. But responsible users of marijuana are productive, upstanding citizens. We need more responsible users of marijuana and less "potheads".

InvisibleHELLA_TIGHT
Madge the Smoking Vag
Female User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Afghanistan Flag
Re: pot is good for your head [Re: DNKYD]
    #4807846 - 10/15/05 02:55 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Good luck with that.

--------------------

OfflineTwister
Lucrative
Male User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
    #4807882 - 10/15/05 03:01 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

This article doesn't site a fact I saw in another article on the study.

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn8155
"In another study, Barry Jacobs, a neuroscientist at Princeton University, gave mice the natural cannabinoid found in marijuana, THC (D9-tetrahydrocannabinol)). But he says he detected no neurogenesis, no matter what dose he gave or the length of time he gave it for. He will present his results at the Society for Neuroscience meeting in Washington DC in November."

The study doesn't say anything about actual marijuana having the same neurogenetic effect. So unless you can get a hold of some HU-210 you probably aren't accelerating brain cell growth.

InvisibleTheHateCamel
Research &Development -DBK
    #4807907 - 10/15/05 03:05 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

It's ridiculous that everyone who smokes marijuana instantly disagrees with studies that suggest that pot has negative effects but the second a positive study comes out they agree/celebrate regardless of the source or data supplied.

P.S. I'ma smoke some chronic now.

P.P.S Rats aren't humans.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder