Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Boomr Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRaspo
Poopsmith
 User Gallery
Dunk cakes before crumbling to casing?
    #4804858 - 10/14/05 08:04 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

When I get my cakes colonized, should I dunk and/or refrigerate the cakes before putting them in as a casing layer or should i just crumble the colonized cake without dunking?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineoniq
another brick in the wall
Re: Dunk cakes before crumbling to casing? [Re: Raspo]
    #4804871 - 10/14/05 08:08 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I don't think you'd want to cold shock your cakes before you cased them. I thought cold shocking them was to initiate pinning, which you don't want when casing them.. yet. Dunno about the dunking part, but if you case you usually have a layer that is well moistened so I don't know if there'd be a point to dunking the cakes.

OfflineRaspo
Poopsmith
 User Gallery
Re: Dunk cakes before crumbling to casing? [Re: oniq]
    #4804900 - 10/14/05 08:16 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

thanks for the info oniq, that was helpful, i forgot the mycelium needs to keep growing before pins

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Dunk cakes before crumbling to casing? [Re: oniq]
    #4804912 - 10/14/05 08:19 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

oniq said:
Dunno about the dunking part, but if you case you usually have a layer that is well moistened so I don't know if there'd be a point to dunking the cakes.

Agreed, dunking isn't necessary when you crumble + case a substrate. Don't worry about the cold shock. Cold shocking cubensis does next-to-nothing in my experience.

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

OfflineKidgardFromSRQ
Strange

Re: Dunk cakes before crumbling to casing? [Re: Holydiver]
    #4805346 - 10/14/05 10:23 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

can anyone give me a good link that explains a good deal about casing substrate? im going to use perlite and just lay my cakes down in a rubbermaid container, but idk enough about casing w/ substrate. i'd like to do both and compare results.

--------------------
Be nice to people in general. Even if you don't like them.

OfflineNilsen9491
SuperNoob
 User Gallery

Re: Dunk cakes before crumbling to casing? [Re: KidgardFromSRQ]
    #4805735 - 10/14/05 11:28 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I don't agree that cold shocking does nothing. during my first casing attempt, I was faced with a grave overlay problem. The myc would simply not stop colonizing. it began to overtake my casing layer, when one member of the shroomery suggested that I put 'em in the fridge and that would stop the colonization and induce pinning. Wow. Was he right. within 24 hours I was pinning like a mad man. So cold shocking your cakes might just tell your myc that it's time to start pinning, when in reality, you wanna keep 'em in colonization mode.

Simply crumble your cakes, and stir in some horse poo. Then let them colonize and case. If you want to experiment with the cold shocking, case them, and cold shock a few pans and compare with non-shocked pans. I'm sure you'll be pleased.

--------------------
Big Mike

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: Dunk cakes before crumbling to casing? [Re: KidgardFromSRQ]
    #4805933 - 10/15/05 12:16 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3290155/an/0/page/0

Heres a good tek and explanation of doing a decent casing.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

OfflineShroomArtist84
Stranger
Re: Dunk cakes before crumbling to casing? [Re: hawksapprentice]
    #4806659 - 10/15/05 08:00 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

^^^VERY good link if i do say so myself.

i would without a doubt dunk before crumbling the cake in a casing. it will just end up making the flush so much more faster growing in the end.

--------------------
No matter what I say and no matter what I write here.

I'm sick of always looking at this page with a blank stare.

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Re: Dunk cakes before crumbling to casing? [Re: ShroomArtist84]
    #4806676 - 10/15/05 08:10 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I always dunk.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

Invisiblesrgtm1a
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Dunk cakes before crumbling to casing? [Re: Raspo]
    #4806685 - 10/15/05 08:22 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Dunking cakes is not really necessary for a casing because the casing layer will hold in the moisture fairly well.

I still do dunk my cakes before I case them for 12 hours at room temp. Force of habbit I guess.

Cold shocking is a BIG misconception when it comes to actives. It will have NO positive affect on your yield. The only thing it will do is slow your pinning down by 3-5 days. With a caseing, it may stop vegitative growth wich you need during incubation.

Cold shocking should only be used for gourmet mushrooms. Some gourmet mushrooms need that big of a temp drop as a pinning trigger. That is not the case with cubensis and other actives.

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Re: Dunk cakes before crumbling to casing? [Re: srgtm1a]
    #4806698 - 10/15/05 08:34 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

srgtm1a said:

Cold shocking is a BIG misconception when it comes to actives. It will have NO positive affect on your yield. The only thing it will do is slow your pinning down by 3-5 days. With a caseing, it may stop vegitative growth wich you need during incubation.

Cold shocking should only be used for gourmet mushrooms. Some gourmet mushrooms need that big of a temp drop as a pinning trigger. That is not the case with cubensis and other actives.

This not not true, Cubensis and Cyans may not need a drop in temp, but Azures def. need some cold weather to start fruiting.

--------------------

Edward Abbey

Invisiblesrgtm1a
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Dunk cakes before crumbling to casing? [Re: hawksapprentice]
    #4806727 - 10/15/05 09:05 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
Quote:

srgtm1a said:

This not not true, Cubensis and Cyans may not need a drop in temp, but Azures def. need some cold weather to start fruiting.

Sure, You are correct, Azures do. I was mainly refering to cubensis strains in that statement, which is what most people on here, especially new growers grow. By the time people are ready to grow Azures they will or should already have a grasp on what is needed for those.

I should have been more specific in that statement, sorry.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Boomr Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order