Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Advertising to Children
    #4803789 - 10/14/05 02:53 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Has anyone noticed the kind of shit that gets marketed to children these days? Little girls are wearing skimpier and skimpier clothing, and becoming overly sexualized at way too young an age. Kids are hit with a barrage of fast food and junk food ads. Is it any wonder that childhood obesity is such a big problem today? As much as I like a free market, I have to admit I'm rather disgusted at the social and moral degradation being promoted in the name of the corporate bottom line. These advertising executives are fully conscious of when they're promoting anti-social or unhealthy behavior, but they don't care as long as it brings in a profit. The libertarian in me wants to say that it's not for the government to say what they can advertise and to whom, and that it's ultimately the parent's responsibility to raise their children right. But at the same time, I feel like this can't simply be tolerated, and that something needs to be done, if not by government, then at least by grass-roots activism. I believe there's a special place in hell for these people.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Advertising to Children [Re: Silversoul]
    #4803797 - 10/14/05 02:56 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

In my opinion, this is where good parents step in. They are ultimately the ones who rule the household and say what goes.

Unfortunately, many parents suck these days. Rather than spend time with their children, they use the new babysitter (the tv).

Offlinekilgore_trout
Stranger
Re: Advertising to Children [Re: Redstorm]
    #4803843 - 10/14/05 03:09 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Our culture is one of infinite signs and advertisements, and it would seem that no matter how good of a parent you are you cannot wholly sghelter your children from these social ills or other children who will promote them. No matter how hard one tries, the shit is everywhere, and is out of control. Even parents who did get to spend a lot of time with their kids, bc theyre not working 60 or 70 hours a week to feed them and keep them warm'healthy, have an incredibly hard time with things.

I think paradigm touches on but misses that its not just the promotion of bad products, its that most products are bad for reasons of profit, and good ones are few and far between and otherwise hard to acquire esp. for the poor. So its not just the promotion, its the products themselves as well.

InvisibleGijith
Daisy Chain Eater

Loc: New York
    #4803850 - 10/14/05 03:10 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Most of this is probably coming from television. There seem to be many companies who will claim that such advertising is not aimed at children. But they make that claim knowing that they'll most likely never have to legally defend it. I think we could get a ratings system for advertisements and apply it to V-Chip technology. It's not a great solution, but it's a start. Hopefully, not many free market types will get up in arms over a voluntary ratings system.

--------------------
what's with neocons and the word 'ilk'?

Offlinekilgore_trout
Stranger
Re: Advertising to Children [Re: kilgore_trout]
    #4803858 - 10/14/05 03:13 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

it is also interesting to note that as capitalism turns all things into commodities, and technology and media/communication advance, people become commodified, and not just as laborers. There is a commodification of the audience and their minds. Channels say this is the audience we developed, and we'll sell you access to them for such and such a price per 30 second slot. And they pay to access you and your mind in order to promote products, lifestyles, thoughts, and other messages/situations/et cetera.

Offlinekilgore_trout
Stranger
    #4803868 - 10/14/05 03:15 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

now with tivo, since you can skip ads, they pay for product placement amidst various cultural medias displaying various lifestyles (consuming habits)

InvisibleGijith
Daisy Chain Eater

#4803882 - 10/14/05 03:21 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Good point. Damn technology. Ah well, I'm guessing most TV will just be pay-per-download within a decade or so anyways. Then we'll have no excuse for shitty parenting.

--------------------

Offlinegregorio
Too Damn Old
Male

Loc: Classified
    #4803893 - 10/14/05 03:24 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Paradigm said: The libertarian in me wants to say that it's not for the government to say what they can advertise and to whom, and that it's ultimately the parent's responsibility to raise their children right. But at the same time, I feel like this can't simply be tolerated, and that something needs to be done, if not by government, then at least by grass-roots activism. I believe there's a special place in hell for these people.

I agree totally with you about the sleazy way so many major corporations target their advertising at people, especially children.

But let's not get the Government involved in dictating how a company can go about advertising their products. Too much room for abuse. Grass roots boycott efforts have some merits and there has been times in the past where they have worked. But like some of the other comments the responsibility rests on the parents. Don't buy products from companies that are offensive to you because of their sleazy advertising practices.

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Re: Advertising to Children [Re: gregorio]
    #4803919 - 10/14/05 03:32 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I agree that the responsibility ultimately lies with the parents, but the problem is that there are so many bad parents out there who aren't taking responsibility for their kids, and it's creating negative externalities. It's especially hard in this day and age when most households have both parents working. I think that, given the fact that so many parents aren't looking out for their kids like they should be, perhaps it's appropriate that we should hold these companies to higher standards.

--------------------

Offlinegregorio
Too Damn Old
Male

#4803944 - 10/14/05 03:42 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Paradigm said:
I agree that the responsibility ultimately lies with the parents, but the problem is that there are so many bad parents out there who aren't taking responsibility for their kids, and it's creating negative externalities.

I can't argue with you on that one. Too many parents are not taking responsibilty and too many parents are not even around at all.

But don't run the risk of losing your Libertarian principles over this issue. Keep the Government out of it----dont bend on that one.

Edited by gregorio (10/14/05 03:43 PM)

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

#4803952 - 10/14/05 03:45 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Yes, I'm quite hesitant to get government involved. I believe strongly in freedom of speech. But I also believe that just because something is legal doesn't mean we should have to stand for it.

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #4803960 - 10/14/05 03:48 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

This is a fucking laugh riot. The exact same shit was said when I was a kid and a supposed victim of the insidious lack of morals and vegetative state induced by television. Now people who are my kid's age are bitching exactly the same stuff about the half-next generation. You are turning into your parents at a very young age

--------------------

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Re: Advertising to Children [Re: zappaisgod]
    #4803968 - 10/14/05 03:49 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
This is a fucking laugh riot. The exact same shit was said when I was a kid and a supposed victim of the insidious lack of morals and vegetative state induced by television. Now people who are my kid's age are bitching exactly the same stuff about the half-next generation. You are turning into your parents at a very young age

I'm not saying it's anything new. I'm just saying that it's getting progressively worse.

--------------------

Offlinewilshire
free radical
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE PA
    #4803972 - 10/14/05 03:49 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

kids nowadays generally get the shittiest parenting there has ever been. a whole generation being run through day care centers and awful schools. both parents working. tv all the time. advertizements. junk food. it's the stupid ones that are breeding the most. the ills of our society strike children the hardest. most people who have kids probably should not.

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Advertising to Children [Re: wilshire]
    #4803975 - 10/14/05 03:50 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

You are all old scolds already

--------------------

InvisibleGijith
Daisy Chain Eater

#4803978 - 10/14/05 03:51 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

For many of us, it's the exact opposite.

--------------------

OfflineUnagipie
Pilgrim -DBK鰻

Loc: The Trenches of France
    #4804017 - 10/14/05 04:01 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I don't see how it's helpful to anyone to infantize kids. At a certain point young people begin to make their own choices whether parents like it or not. It's not the responsibility of adults to take care of teenagers. They are capable of taking care of themselves. I don't see how marketing thong underwear and junk food to adolescents is any more sleazier than marketing such things to anyone else

--------------------

Don't fight it. Just let the illuminados take over your mind. You be at bliss soon.

Offlinegregorio
Too Damn Old
Male

#4804032 - 10/14/05 04:06 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
You are turning into your parents at a very young age

I'm not young anymore but how I wish I was.  :frown:

I think it has gotten a lot more worse over the years. But then again getting older might have a role in my perceptions.

In my wifes Cosmopolitan magazine, a clothing company used to run this add,(they might still be running it) in which a little girl of about 10 or 11 is standing alone on a rainy and dark streetcorner. The add was done in black and white except for a dim red light in one of the windows in the background. And I mean, the girl is dressed up like a whore. It's disgusting. They didn't have ads like this 20-25 years ago. Back then there used to be a line that wasn't crossed regarding children.

It seems like they want to turn little children into little"prost-i-tots". I can allmost see why some cultures regard the U.S. as the "Great Satin."

Offlinekilgore_trout
Stranger
Re: Advertising to Children [Re: Unagipie]
    #4804044 - 10/14/05 04:09 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

youre right a lot of advertisments/products are fucked up period regardless of age. Still there is a significantly lesser capacity for (informed, autonomous) choice in younger people. All ages are manipulated, children the most easily.

Offlinewilshire
free radical
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE PA
    #4804051 - 10/14/05 04:12 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

kids need to spend less time at school or in front of the tv and more time just playing. i mean spontaneous play. not video games. not organized sports or anything like that. everything is too structured. when i was a kid we built forts and caught critters and played sports with the neighbors. today's kids are involved in some kind of structured and\or passive activity during way too much of their time.

advertizing is only a very small part of the screwed up way that today's kids are growing up.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order