Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
Re: Predeterminism versus Freewill [Re: TheProphet]
    #4797792 - 10/13/05 10:39 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Buddhism has its share of deterministic thought: karma and dependent arisings.
Christianity has two distinctive elements that are championed by different theologians: Calvin stressed 'predestination' while Wesley was on the side of free will. Presbyterianism and Methodism are two respective churches which attract these respective attitudes.

In my dissertation, I speculated that the human being, a 'totem-pole-like' structure of chakra motivations (Buddhist Yoga) in which the lower centers of motivation are the 'repositories' so-to-speak of 'inherited' (karmic, genetic, samskaras) and therefore subject to deterministic factors. 'Grafted on' (again, so-to-speak) are the higher chakra centers of motivation in which each are 'nodes' of entire dimensions of motivation whose concentration form part of the human chakra ladder and which manifest free will. The lower human is characterized by deterministic 'animal' [smad] proclivities, while the upper human is characterized by 'angelic' [stod] freedom. The intermediary overlap is particularly 'human' [bar]. (I included the Tibetan names). Thus, while it is recognized that both free will and determinism operate in the human experience, this models lends a rationale: the degree to which humans identify with these three domains (of the "Centauric" human - a Ken Wilbur term) determines to what extent either of these tendencies operate (and make sense to) the human in whom they are operating. I have been extreme in my view of both poles, and have remained in this Middle Way perspective.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]