Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleGuyManDude
Stranger
First Grow Ever - THANK YOU SHROOMERY (Pics)
    #4793728 - 10/12/05 04:09 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Hey guys,

First post ever. Just wanted to say after all this time, after all the reading and looking around and extremely insightful help and convos on the board, I succesfully had my first flush of shrooms ever on a casing. This is my first grow ever and I couldnt've done it without you guys.

I would like to thank the following users for thier most insightful posts on the board, you all helped me so much:

Roadkill
Hyphae
Hippychick
Grateful Jim
Holy Diver

Thank you guys! Of course, everyone gave great info, but you guys probally helped the most in areas such as "keep your head up" support and general knowledge. Hyphae - your pinning strategy owns me for life.

Thanks guys!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblethegatewaydrug
my burning sunwill some dayrise

Loc: wherever i may roam
Re: First Grow Ever - THANK YOU SHROOMERY (Pics) [Re: GuyManDude]
    #4793743 - 10/12/05 04:11 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

wrong forum, but very nice grow:thumbup: wuts the dry weight?

--------------------
May God have mercy upon my enemies, because i won't.

General George S. Patton
:paranoid:

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
    #4793866 - 10/12/05 04:36 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Congrats ya lurker.  :thumbup: :mushroom2:

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Re: First Grow Ever - THANK YOU SHROOMERY (Pics) [Re: Holydiver]
    #4793887 - 10/12/05 04:39 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

and he did it without posting the same simple questions everyone always has to ask, that should give most newbs some hope... maybe it will inspire them to actualy explore the site lol

InvisibleKoala Koolio
TTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGG

Re: First Grow Ever - THANK YOU SHROOMERY (Pics) [Re: CptnGarden]
    #4793964 - 10/12/05 04:53 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I suppose...

--------------------
You're not like the others. You like the same things I do. Wax paper, boiled football leather... dog breath. We're not hitch-hiking anymore, we're riding!

Edited by elgr (02/03/06 10:36 PM)

InvisibleGuyManDude
Stranger
Re: First Grow Ever - THANK YOU SHROOMERY (Pics) [Re: Koala Koolio]
    #4794010 - 10/12/05 05:04 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

no clue what the dry weight is. i downed about 15 fresh guys fully matured last night and pulled these guys right before i posted. waitin for em to dry now.

theyre terrific!

OfflineUlisSausage7
seattle
Male

#4794129 - 10/12/05 05:25 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

nice shrooms you grew.. which tech did you use? also, did you use a pressure cooker/canner or boiling water?

(im starting my first grow soon)

--------------------
Marx said:
good luck with the microscopy 

:whistling:

Invisibleshroomanic
PsychiatricExplorations
 User Gallery

Loc: Dunder Mifflin
Re: First Grow Ever - THANK YOU SHROOMERY (Pics) [Re: UlisSausage7]
    #4794138 - 10/12/05 05:28 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

man, this should be stickied for all newbs to view. so they can see this, and know what to do...i'm fucking ripped now...but. that seems like a good idea.

Offlinedante

Loc: New Jersey
Re: First Grow Ever - THANK YOU SHROOMERY (Pics) [Re: shroomanic]
    #4794309 - 10/12/05 06:02 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I plan to start my first grow soon too, I'm glad for your success. I'd also am curious on the route you take to end up with those Magic Mushrooms.

--------------------
The clouds above us join & separate,
The breeze in the courtyard leaves & returns.
Like is like that, so why not relax?
Who can stop us from celebrating?

-Lu Yu

Offlineincubaby_421
half naked andfull witted
 User Gallery

Loc: the center of the univers...
Re: First Grow Ever - THANK YOU SHROOMERY (Pics) [Re: dante]
    #4794367 - 10/12/05 06:10 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

congrats, and welcome!
and let me say that it inspiring that nobody had to hold you hand and walk you ass into the FAQ's and grow guides,
you remind me much of myself grasshopper,
enjoy those bad boys!

--------------------
"yet the more i dig, the more i consume, the more i unfold... the less protected i feel.
i am the spit on the hair of the son of an electron, swimming around the nucleus of a cell inside the sperm of a killer bee, and my purpose is as nebulous as why weve been bestowed with the capacity to give a shit" Brandon Boyd

Offlinenovorua
Waterholic
Loc: Texas
    #4794852 - 10/12/05 07:34 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

UlisSausage7 said:
nice shrooms you grew.. which tech did you use? also, did you use a pressure cooker/canner or boiling water?

(im starting my first grow soon)

ditto.

InvisibleGuyManDude
Stranger
    #4794976 - 10/12/05 08:02 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

UlisSausage7 said:

first off, they're cambos.

didn't really follow any sort of tek, honestly. after 6 months of reading all the teks on here, i decided to combine a series of ideas from the teks and take the best and most accessible ideas and put them to use.

here's what i did essentially:

Itzsoweezee WBS Tek:

(A Start to Finish Personal Variation using different WBS Teks, Casing 101 and 50/50 that works for noobs - props to all those before me. You are respected in the highest way possible.)

Items needed:

12 1/2 pint wide mouth jars (Super Walmart)
1 18 Quart Canner (Super Walmart)
6 Large Tyvek Envelopes (Nabbed From the Post Office for Free)
1 Bag of Vermiculite (Lowes)
1 Bag of Sphagnum Peat Moss (Lowes)
1 Bag of Perlite (Lowes)
1 Bag of Wild Bird Seed (Safeway)
Several different sized (small to medium) disposable Aluminium Cake Trays (Super Walmart)
A Couple of cheap medium sized plastic storage boxes (Super Walmart)
A Spray Bottle (Super Walmart)
Paper Towels (Safeway)
Plastic Cling Wrap (Safeway)
Aluminum Foil (Safeway)
3 Large Cookie Sheets (Or Metal Baking Pans)
A Large Bowl (Super Walmart)
A Spaghetti Drainer Or Colander with small holes (Walmart)
A White Fluorescent Grow Light for plants (Walmart)
A Small Fan (Walmart)
Duct Tape [Just in Case] (Walmart)
2 Boxes of 1 Gallon Ziplock Freezer Bags
The Cheapest Dust Masks (Super Walmart)
Alcohol 70% (Super Walmart)
Anti Bacterial Hand soap (Safeway)
Hydrogen Peroxide (To Fight Off Potential Cobweb) - (Super Walmart)
A Hammer (or something heavy like a wrench or a big pair of pliers)
A Nail
A Lighter
A Spore Syringe

This stuff shouldn't cost you more than $250. The canner is absolutely essential for practicing sterility with tools and substrate (whether you're using grains or not. When it's all done and over with, it's certainly worth it.

Start off by washing your hands with anti bacterial soap. Dry your hands off well with a paper towel and give your hands a splash of 70% alcohol and wave it off to let it dry. This is probably one of the most important things you'll need to do during your course of growing in order to avoid contamination. You may use gloves if you feel the urge to do so, but I never did.

Basically, wash your hands before you begin ANY step or ANY maintenance.

Then, take your wild bird seed (aka - WBS) and dumping it into your large bowl 3/4's of the way to the top. Fill up your bowl with tap water until your bowl is filled up almost all the way to the top. Stir around the seed with your hands and let it get saturated all the way through. Then, pick the little floaters at the top. You dont have to go crazy and pick them all, just get as many so you can without over doing it.

Cover the bowl up with plastic wrap and let sit for 12 hours. When you come back to the bowl, the water should be a dark to light reddish-brown and should smell relatively unpleasant. Dump the bowl into a spaghetti drainer and rinse off the seed with cold tap water. Make sure it's rinsed well. Let it drain in your sink for about an hour covered with saran wrap.

At this point, pull your jars out of the package. Doing one jar at a time, poke 4 holes in each one of your lids (think of a clock, poke at 12 o clock, 3 o clock, 6 o clock and 9 o clock). Place the lids back on.

Take your tyvek and cut twelve 6x6 inch squares out of each envelope. Place these guys to the side.

Wash your hands again. One at a time, perform these steps:

1) Open the jar

2) Fill the jar 3/4 of the way with the wild bird seed making sure there is no loose seed above the fill point in your jar.

3) Evenly place tyvek filter square onto jar.

4) Place lid over top of the jar and close with the tyvek filter between the lid and the jar. Make sure it's closed tightly.

5) Rinse hands off.

After performing those steps for each jar, get out your pressure canner. Follow the directions for your specific canner (READ THE MANUAL!!!!!!!!!). My specific canner requires me to boil 3 quarts of water and then to place that water into the canner.

Place jars into the canner and start it up. Don't be scared, but be precautious. Bring the pressure up to 15-17 and keep it there for 90 minutes. The pressure cooker will make loud, odd and potentially scary noises, but dont stress, just dont let it get above 17 PSI by adjusting the temperature settings on your stove and you're completely safe. When the pressure cooker is done processing, turn off your burner and let your pressure cooker completely cool down. You may leave the jars in the canner overnight if you wish.

Wash your hands. Place a clean paper towel in a kitchen cabinet. Open your pressure cooker with the lid facing AWAY from you (don't want to get hot steam in your face). Place the jars in the cabinet on the paper towel. Cover the jars with aluminum foil and let the jars cool completely for about 6-8 hours.

Grab a paper towel, soak it with alcohol and place it to the side. Wash your hands again and splash them with alcohol. Place a dust mask on your face. Pull the foil off the jars one by one and place in the trash.

Grab your trusty syringe. One by one, place 1/4-1/2 CC of spore solution into the inoculation points. In between each jar, heat the needle up until it is red hot, then take the alcohol soaked towel to sterilize it and cool it down. Place jar back in the cabinet. Repeat these steps until all your jars are finished.

Dispose of all trash. Close your cabinet and keep your jars here for a while and try to keep them away from the dark as much as possible. Within 14 days you should see some sort of little white growth on the jars. Don't flip out if it doesn't come right away. Some of my jars took up to 35 days to colonize.

After colonization, you'll begin the casing preparation. I followed the 50/50 casing tek, but I'll put it how I did it.

Grab your disposable cake trays, your cookie sheets, your foil, your vermiculite, your peat moss and your perlite.

Preheat your oven to 250 degrees F. Take your aluminum foil and place it over one of your cookie sheet. Dump a large amount of your vermiculite onto the baking tray. Repeat this step for the perlite.

Do the same for the peat moss - but with the peat moss, put roughly half the amount of peat moss in the tray than you did with the vermiculite. Also, be sure to remove any sticks you may find inside the peat moss. Just take a quick run through, running your fingers through the moss.

Grab your aluminum cake trays and place those in the oven on a second rack.

Place the 3 other trays in the oven and let sit for 120 minutes. Turn off oven and let them cool down inside.

Wash your hands. Grab the zip lock bags. One by one, grab each colonized jar out of your cabinet. Take the ziplock bag, unzip it. Open the lid on your jar and take the top of the jar and place it inside the ziplock. Firmly grip your hand around the jar rim and the ziplock bag and knock out the cake into the bag.

Any remaining substrate that is inside the jar may be wiped into the bag by taking your finger, placing it on the bottom of the outside of the bag and wiping the inside of the jar.

Close the ziplock up and gently crumble the cake with your fingers on the outside of the bag. Try your best to leave large chunks of the cake inside of the bag, but don't worry if you don't. Wild bird seed falls apart very easily. Repeat this step until each jar is finished.

Wash your hands and grab a bowl. Pull out the verm out and dump it into the bowl. Get some tap water and fill the bowl up half way with water. Mix the water around inside the bowl with your hands. If it isn't completely saturated with water, fill it up some more. Make sure the verm is nice and wet. You should be able to pull out a handful and have alot of water dripping from your hand. Rinse hands off.

Pull out the cake trays. Taking the wet vermiculite from the bowl, gently squeeze excess water from the verm, but dont squeeze it dry. Place the wet verm and make a small layer of up to 1/2-3/4 inch on the bottom of the cake tray. Place foil on tray when finished. Rinse hands. Repeat each step for each cake tray.

Again, rinse hands. Remove the peat moss. Place about half the amount of peat moss you have in your bowl for whatever amount of verm you may have (hence - the 50/50 tek). You don't have to be precise, for this is the "What Feels Good" tek. Use your best judgment.

Rinse hands. Mix the peat moss and verm together. Again, if it feels too dry, add more tap water. Make sure it's nice and wet.

Rinse hands. Take your bag of crushed colonized bird seed from the ziplock and dump it evenly inside your cake tray with the moist verm on the bottom. Cover it with foil. Trash the ziplock. Rinse hands. Repeat for each tray.

Depending on the size of your cake tray, you may put either one or two cakes in each tray. It is ultimately up to you. Remember, the crushed colonized bird seed with have about 1/2-3/4 of verm/peat moss on top of it, so make sure there is that much room available in the tray.

Wash hands. Splash with alcohol. Open one of your cakes trays with the colonized cake in it. Now take your verm/moss and treat it in the same manner as you did with the verm, gently squeezing out excess water, but making sure it's still damp and moist. Place the verm/moss over the cake evenly for 1/2-3/4 inch high. Make sure all exposed areas of the cake are covered. Rinse your hands off.

You now have a casing! Take this casing and quickly place it in a clean new Ziplock bag. Repeat for each individual cake tray until you have completed all your casings.

Take the perlite, cover it with aluminum foil and place somewhere safe until it's ready for further use.

Take this ziplock bag and place it inside of a clothes drawer or cabinet and let it sit in the dark for about 7-9 days or so. Within a week, you should be able to see little spots of white mycelium poking through to the top. You did it!!!

Prepare to make your Growing Chamber. It only takes a few minutes, really. Grab your plastic storage bin. Take the lid and cut a big square hole in the top, leaving a portion of the lid where it can still snap on and off of the container itself. If you have a container that is clear on the outside, grab your duct tape and take around the outside of the container so that no light from the sides of the container can reach the inside of the box.

Your growing chamber is ready to be set up.

First, take an alcohol soaked towel and run it around the inside of your storage bin.

Grab your perlite and place it inside your plastic storage bin. Fill it up with water from the bathtub until the perlite is really wet. Don't make it super watery in there, just make sure its enough to where the perlite is saturated enough to be a lil more wet than moist. Grab your bottle of hydrogen peroxide 3% and dump a lil bit into there for precautionary purposes to keep clean and such.

Wash your hands. Assuming your casing have some myc coming off the top of them, place these casings in the growing chamber (your plastic storage bin with perlite in the bottom - if you haven't figured that out, already). Cover the top of your chamber with plastic cling wrap and make sure it's covered completely to where there are no openings at the top. Place plastic lid on top of the chamber and make sure it snaps on.

Your growing chamber is now complete.

Place your growing chamber near your white grow light. Begin by keeping the grow light on for about 24 hours for 3 days. After that, begin doing 12 hours of light and 12 hours of dark after that. Begin to fan your growing chamber at least twice a day.

Have a spray bottle with clean water on the inside of it and spray down the casings lightly with a fine mist of water from an arm's length away. Don't overdo it, just give them a good misting everyday for about a week or so. Humidity shouldn't be an issue if you have your perlite correct. You should be able to see thousands of little water droplets formed on the walls of the growing chamber.

During this time, over the course of a few days, you should see white fluffy mycelium popping all over the casing and growing rapidly everyday!!!

Within 7-14 days, you should see little pins begin to form. At this point, you should stop misting the casings and let nature take it's course.

Be patient, these pins grow REALLY fast into full mushroom. Within a week, you should have full grown mushrooms. You will know when it's the right time to pick them when the veils (the layer of mushroom between the cap and the stem) has torn off completely.

At this point, take the mushrooms, gently grab them at the bottom and gently twist them out of the casing. Put sterilized vermiculite on the casing where you have pulled the mushroom to "patch" it. This will prevent contaminations from infesting the exposed portion of your casing.

Wait for more pins. The cycle continues in what is called "flushes". This same cycle should happen 3-4 more times depending on how things end up turning out.

Drying your mushrooms:

There are several ways to dry your mushrooms. The way I do it has been criticized by many and loved by many, as well. It is ultimately up to you on how you decide to preserve your mushrooms. Do what feels good.

Take your fresh mushrooms and fan them for 24-36 hours. Afterwords, place them inside a food dehydrator on it's lowest setting. Make sure the mushrooms are cracker dry or otherwise they will go bad. Place in a plastic air tight bag and put away for safe keeping.

I'm not sure, but I think that pretty much covers it. It's long, and it takes a while to happen, but you reap what you sew, and damn is it worth it!

Patience above all is key. Wait before you decide to post about how long it takes to initiate pinning or how long does it take to colonize a cake or how long it takes to do anything.

These are my words for those who are interested in starting. The best thing you can do for yourself is READ READ READ everything that you see posted on the Shroomery. Knowledge is power. If you fuck up, try again. It's not that hard, you know.

Again, I know alot of this information is ripped from other teks, but I wrote this all from what I did in my experience and I had a hard time finding a WBS tek that covered everything from start to finish.

I'm sure you could argue about what should be done and what shouldn't be done and what could've been done to improve this tek, but I'm just saying that this is exactly what I did and I did not fail.

Note : None of the procedures were done in a sterile environment in the slightest. Dirty dishes, dirty clothes, dirty air in my house in general did not play a factor for contamination. You SHOULD keep clean, but it is obviously not necessary.

Invisiblesui
I love you.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cali, Contra Costa Co. Flag
    #4795006 - 10/12/05 08:08 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Best noob ever! :yesnod:

--------------------

"There is never a wrong note, bend it."
Jimi Hendrix

InvisibleGuyManDude
Stranger
Re: First Grow Ever - THANK YOU SHROOMERY (Pics) [Re: sui]
    #4795052 - 10/12/05 08:18 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

one more for the love of shrooms!

OfflineKidgardFromSRQ
Strange

#4795294 - 10/12/05 09:01 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

good job. i'll soon have flushes coming in. what strain were they?

--------------------
Be nice to people in general. Even if you don't like them.

InvisibleGuyManDude
Stranger
Re: First Grow Ever - THANK YOU SHROOMERY (Pics) [Re: KidgardFromSRQ]
    #4796225 - 10/13/05 12:00 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

cambodians

Offlineliveby
Wasted For Time
 User Gallery

#4796294 - 10/13/05 12:13 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

nice good stuff , i remember my first go oh back in the day

--------------------

http://www.bruceeisner.com/ -Creating a Sensible Culture

InvisiblePornoRob
He's not such abad guy
Male
Re: First Grow Ever - THANK YOU SHROOMERY (Pics) [Re: liveby]
    #4797167 - 10/13/05 07:15 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I would've rated you but I don't have enough posts.
:P Its nice to see that there are other people out there that are capable of growing with out asking the same questions that have been asked so many times before. Thumbs up to you man .

Offlinewickedestructah
Aspiring n00b

Loc: Maritimes, Canada
Re: First Grow Ever - THANK YOU SHROOMERY (Pics) [Re: PornoRob]
    #4797572 - 10/13/05 09:44 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Yah man, good work. I'm expectin my first flush off my first cake soon, and like you said, reading was best friend. Both teks and other peoples posts. It's all good (great actually!)

--------------------
-D3structah

"Live till you die..." - QOTSA

OfflineJustFloat
Stranger
Re: First Grow Ever - THANK YOU SHROOMERY (Pics) [Re: wickedestructah]
    #4797608 - 10/13/05 09:49 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I think it's kind of silly to criticize people for asking questions in a message board, regardless of wether they've been asked before. Isn't that the main idea behind a message board? It just seems a lot easier especially when you have a very specific question or set of questions that would take so much time to search on. It doesn't hurt anyone to ask..

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract