Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineVertigo6911
Entheobotanist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Netherlands
cacti and dormancy
    #4795158 - 10/12/05 08:38 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

ok so i got some lophs and trichs, both adult and seedlings.
i live in a 1 room apartment wich, u guessed it is heated
by a radiator that is right under the only window.

so im wondering what exactly triggers dormancy in cacti, light or temperature?

right now im growing with florescant tubes but not shielded from ambient sunlight, will this effect dormancy in any way?

exactly how high a temperature can trichs and lophs tolerate during dormancy?

i always turn of the heat by night, what effect will a cold by night/warm by day situation have on dormancy?

--------------------
-Know ye not that ye are gods?-
My homepage

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleToolTroll
tourettic
Male User Gallery

Loc: N. Cack
Re: cacti and dormancy [Re: Vertigo6911]
    #4795262 - 10/12/05 08:55 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I imagine if water were withheld, ambient sunlight shouldn't affect dormancy. Not sure about the temperature thing though.
What I want to know is: is dormancy neccessary for seedlings? Could I just keep my seedlings growing all winter long, with enought light and warmth to simulate summer conditions? Or do I have to provide a rest period?
Cuz I was thinking about sowing some more seeds next week, growing them under flouros all winter then introducing them to sunlight in the spring. Good idea? Or should I just wait to sow until spring?

--------------------
"This whole idea that different is bad, that a change in consciousness is in itself harmful, is really one of the fundamental problems inherent in the drug war.” - Rick Doblin
my cactus collection
You vote with your dollars. Everyday. Vote responsibly.

OfflineKonnrade
↑↑↓↓<--><-->BA
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: LA Suburbs
    #4795300 - 10/12/05 09:02 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I beleive dormancy is merely a response to less favorable conditions. It would stress the cactus to attempt to continue growth when temperatures are colder and light is shorter lived and less intense, so they cease to grow and just sit around waiting for the seasons to change.

I would doubt that they require this dormancy period at all. They definitely require a break from sunlight and heat, since cooler temps and darkness is what triggers the plants to respirate gases (they don't do this during the day, in order to avoid water loss to hot dry air), but I doubt they need dormancy.

They should grow and be healthy if you just kept them in constantly favorable conditions and kept them growing. Provided they got a good night of cool air and low light every day so they didn't run out of carbon dioxide.

--------------------

I find your lack of faith disturbing

InvisibleKoala Koolio
TTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGG

Re: cacti and dormancy [Re: Konnrade]
    #4795358 - 10/12/05 09:08 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

You're right, dormancy isn't required. However, if they can't get the full amount of sun they need to grow properly, it's a wise idea. If it's still warm, and they're getting only a little light, they'll turn out etoilated, like bowling pins.

If you're growing them completely indoors under lights anyway, there should be no need to give them a dormant season. ToolTroll, especially for seedlings, if keeping them going in the winter wasn't an option, you'd want to start them in the spring, instead of the late fall, so definately continue.

--------------------
You're not like the others. You like the same things I do. Wax paper, boiled football leather... dog breath. We're not hitch-hiking anymore, we're riding!

InvisibleHanky
wiffle bat.
Male User Gallery
Loc: Great Southern Land.
    #4795383 - 10/12/05 09:12 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I've got a few Pachanois in my growroom, they first went in under hps at a 24/0 light regimen and they loved it. Under 12/12 they went dormant for a few weeks but then started actively growing again.
Temps were the same at all times. so I'm at a loss to explain what causes dormancy in trichs.

--------------------
Coaster is an idiot...
[quote]Coaster said:
but i thnk everything thats pure is white?
[/quote]

OfflineKonnrade
↑↑↓↓<--><-->BA
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: LA Suburbs
Re: cacti and dormancy [Re: Koala Koolio]
    #4795697 - 10/12/05 10:03 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

personally, if I find myself financially able to actually purchase some decent grow lights, I would put them on a 14/10 cycle. diagonally above the cactus. Nice even lighting and for a long time to compensate for being weaker than the california sun (which is rather intense).

10 hours is plenty of time for respiration and 14 hours is plenty of time for light dependent photosynthetic reactions. And of course 24 hours is plenty of time for dark reactions  :tongue:.

No dormancy, my cacti are not to be caught dawdling around, I wouldn't allow it. They are to grow and thrive and produce for their caretaker a large share of mescaline. No arguments, or they get the hacksaw  :tongue2:

--------------------

I find your lack of faith disturbing

Offlinefaslimy
Dead Man
 User Gallery
    #4795937 - 10/12/05 10:45 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Trichs don't need dormancy unless you want them to flower. Most other Genus' require dormancy. It is triggered by temperature and water, Trichs are one of those only Genus that can go dormant in darkness with no major ill effects.

Personally I think they grow poor under any artificial light and don't like to keep seedlings indoors for more than 2-3 months.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies