Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleLazyGnome
¬_¬
Male User Gallery

Loc: the layer cake
Windows Genuine Advantage
    #4777876 - 10/09/05 04:56 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I have been having problems with the Windows Genuine Advantage update thing. It checks to make sure you don't have a pirated copy of Wndows XP. I tried this site and it works but when it takes me to the page to download the updates it wants me to install .net framework 1.1 and sp1, I already have sp2. Anyone know what the problems is? Also my copy of xp already comes with sp2.

--------------------
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, olny taht the frist and lsat ltteres are at the rghit pcleas. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by ilstef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

"Everything that we know and understand comes down to perception, and by altering this perception we shake everything we know. All that you and I can know and understand is what we can see smell hear think touch and so on, and when something like mushrooms or salvia alters this steady perception, it can break reality permanently." - Dihnekis

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
Re: Windows Genuine Advantage [Re: LazyGnome]
    #4788198 - 10/11/05 05:07 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

"Anyone know what the problems is? Also my copy of xp already comes with sp2."

It doesn't sound like it. Just install Linux and forget about it.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

InvisibleVoidOfsPg
Stranger
Female User Gallery
Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: Windows Genuine Advantage [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4789304 - 10/11/05 09:02 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

What you need to do is enable automatic updates, get the updates and then disable it...unless you still want it to update automatically.

OfflineThePredator
Your a eunich ifyou don't useunix!

Re: Windows Genuine Advantage [Re: VoidOfsPg]
    #4789523 - 10/11/05 09:37 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

http://linux.org will fix all your problems...

--------------------

InvisibleVoidOfsPg
Stranger
Female User Gallery
Re: Windows Genuine Advantage [Re: ThePredator]
    #4789603 - 10/11/05 09:49 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

That wont fix his problem if he wants to be able to run programs that only work in Windows.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #4790418 - 10/11/05 11:18 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Well, if you want Windows you need to learn to put up with lots of bullshit like spyware, virus' and broken updates.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

Loc: Appearing at a mall near ...
    #4792338 - 10/12/05 11:12 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

You know, the average person has been trained to believe that's the way computers are supposed to run.

--------------------
Money doesn't grow on trees, but deficits do grow under Bushes.

You can accept, reject, or examine and test any new idea that comes to you. The wise man chooses the third way.
- Tom Willhite

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinions should I become aware of additional facts, the falsification of information or different perspectives. Articles written by others which I post may not necessarily reflect my opinions in part or in whole, my opinions may be in direct opposition, the topic may be one on which I have yet to formulate an opinion or have doubts about, an article may be posted solely with the intent to stimulate discussion or contemplation.

Offlinewilshire
free radical
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE PA
    #4792507 - 10/12/05 11:55 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

"ox?y?mo?ron - Pronunciation Key (ks-m?rn, -mr-)
n. pl. ox?y?mo?ra (-m?r, -mr) or ox?y?mo?rons

A rhetorical figure in which incongruous or contradictory terms are combined, as in a deafening silence and a mournful optimist."

--------------------

InvisibleVoidOfsPg
Stranger
Female User Gallery
    #4792989 - 10/12/05 01:35 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Huehuecoyotl said:
Well, if you want Windows you need to learn to put up with lots of bullshit like spyware, virus' and broken updates.

I use Windows and I never get spyware or viruses. I dont download anything that I'm not sure where it came from. I hardly ever update Windows and I've never had a problem. Surprised? Me too.

OfflineThePredator

#4793484 - 10/12/05 03:23 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

You use windows and you have spyware, microsoft puts certain prgrams on their that reports back to them.

--------------------

InvisibleVoidOfsPg
Stranger
Female User Gallery
    #4793558 - 10/12/05 03:39 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

ThePredator said:
You use windows and you have spyware, microsoft puts certain prgrams on their that reports back to them.

I don't have spyware and that's quite an ambiguous statement. As soon as you prove it, i might believe you. But even then, it's still not technically spyware... so your statement is invalid. k thx.

Just give it up, you know I'm correct.

InvisibleGijith
Daisy Chain Eater

Loc: New York
    #4793591 - 10/12/05 03:44 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I too use Windows and am fine with Windows.
I've never had a virus or anything foreign compromise my system. And though there may be some spyware involved, it's not enough to really effect anything. I scan enough to make it marginal.

I've never paid for it (or any software). In the nearly 4 years I've been running XP, I've NEVER had a blue screen.

LazyGnome, I'm not sure what the issue is. What happens if you just do what they tell you and try to install SP1?

--------------------
what's with neocons and the word 'ilk'?

OfflineThePredator

#4793615 - 10/12/05 03:48 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Ever heard of DRM (Digital Rights Management)? Ever wonder why the patriot act is created and suddenly windows xp comes out and has almost no changes from windows 2000?

--------------------

InvisibleVoidOfsPg
Stranger
Female User Gallery
    #4793753 - 10/12/05 04:14 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

ThePredator said:
Ever heard of DRM (Digital Rights Management)? Ever wonder why the patriot act is created and suddenly windows xp comes out and has almost no changes from windows 2000?

So where does the spyware come into play?

Offlinewilshire
free radical
Male User Gallery

#4793913 - 10/12/05 04:43 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

for general computer use, i say go with mac OS X. it's a damn good system with a solid UNIX foundation. it's also easy enough for anyone to use.

for those who want a little more freedom on their machine or who don't have and don't want to buy mac hardware, i say get a linux. for power users, freebsd.

the only reason to run windows is that you haven't the time or interest to learn how to run linux/unix and you haven't gotten around to getting a mac yet.  :cool:

--------------------

InvisibleVoidOfsPg
Stranger
Female User Gallery
Re: Windows Genuine Advantage [Re: wilshire]
    #4793951 - 10/12/05 04:51 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

wilshire said:

the only reason to run windows is that you haven't the time or interest to learn how to run linux/unix and you haven't gotten around to getting a mac yet.  :cool:

Or if you are computer illiterate... That's why Windows is so popular. It lets even the most computer illiterate person control a computer with ease.

Although, OSX is very stable and its so damn purty lookin. :-D

Offlinewilshire
free radical
Male User Gallery

#4794121 - 10/12/05 05:23 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

i can understand that many people want a system that they can use without having to know a whole lot about computers. they don't care if it's proprietary and restrictive because for their use, it doesn't matter. they just want something that works out of the box without a lot of fuss. if it's the same os they've been using for years, even better. windows, despite its myriad limitations, fullfills these needs pretty well, but not nearly as well as OS X.

for people that want a system that is completely open, stable, and secure, and who don't mind having to learn a little to get there, there is linux\unix. it's really not that exotic and it's not that difficult. as the only current major OS out there not based on UNIX, windows is really the oddball of the bunch. i recommend people at least try kubuntu. it's easy as hell and does pretty much everything its supposed to right out of the box. like other linuxes, it is:

free and open - everything on this machine is free, open software. it's transparent and it's mine... every last line of code. windows feels like you're really just borrowing it from microsoft.

secure - there are no viruses or malware to worry about. i don't run antivirus software because i don't have to. it's far less easily exploited and rarely targeted anyway.

stable as a rock.- it just never crashes. i've left it running for weeks without crashing or slowing down or acting up. i don't get disc fragmentation either. windows needs to be rebooted every day and reinstalled once or twice a year to stay healthy.

--------------------

OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

#4794202 - 10/12/05 05:40 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

wilshire said:

Not true, I've used Linux & FreeBSD in the past, but I have software that is only available for windblows which is required to get into some clients' systems.  I need to run a GOOD 5250 terminal emulator and certain VPN software provided by my clients (otherwise, I have to buy some Linux/Unix stuff that I'm not sure will work the same, if at all).  I also use SONAR Sequencing/Music software and have many routines written for it in the CAL extension language - is there a good replacement with similar capabilities for Linux/Unix?  I also need GOOD drivers for my M-Audio 1010LT - anything for Linux/Unix?

Windblows really is bloated, unreliable and not designed to be secure, but the expense, uncertainty, interoperability issues, time involved and learning to switch to something else provide disincentives to change.  Switching to a MAC would prove to be even more expensive than some x86 based *nix flavor.  But I'm always open to suggestions.

--------------------

You can accept, reject, or examine and test any new idea that comes to you. The wise man chooses the third way.
- Tom Willhite

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinions should I become aware of additional facts, the falsification of information or different perspectives. Articles written by others which I post may not necessarily reflect my opinions in part or in whole, my opinions may be in direct opposition, the topic may be one on which I have yet to formulate an opinion or have doubts about, an article may be posted solely with the intent to stimulate discussion or contemplation.

Offlinewilshire
free radical
Male User Gallery

Re: Windows Genuine Advantage [Re: Prosgeopax]
    #4794247 - 10/12/05 05:50 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

yeah, i guess if you have a need for very specific software or hardware, you still need windows. i have a friend who needs windows for audio stuff too. it's too bad.

--------------------

OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

#4794579 - 10/12/05 06:40 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

It's computer hell.

--------------------

- Tom Willhite

OfflineThePredator

#4794779 - 10/12/05 07:16 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Well of course that is because microsoft is a coervercive monopoly if the companies who made those things gave the information to unix developers so they could make compatable software/drivers, microsoft would ruin them.

--------------------

Offlinewilshire
free radical
Male User Gallery

#4794845 - 10/12/05 07:33 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

kde is nice.

--------------------

OfflineThePredator

#4794912 - 10/12/05 07:46 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I'm not the biggest KDE fan, its too bloated. I like xfce4 and blackbox.

--------------------

OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

#4796064 - 10/12/05 11:16 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Microsoft would never be where it is without lazy consumers. YEARS ago I was using Linux and tried to talk other people into it, my dad is a prime example. I told him how much more stable it was than Microsoft's OS's, yet he refused to try it because he didn't want to learn anything new - too much bother. Of course, the same man several years later was complaining about Microsloth in the same manner as you. I have used DR-Dos, Linux, FreeBSD, OpenBSD and OS2 on x86 platforms on my personal PCs - all superior to competing MS products. However, most consumers refuse to experiment, take bad performance as a given and will only use the OS that the manufacturer puts on their systems. You have to blame consumers more than MS, for MS wouldn't have the dominant market share if consumers were more intelligent, discriminating and demanded quality over hype and pre-packaging.

--------------------

- Tom Willhite

InvisibleLazyGnome
¬_¬
Male User Gallery

Loc: the layer cake
    #4797315 - 10/13/05 08:33 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I figured out the workaround thing. I plan on switching to Linux but I don't have time right now.

--------------------
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, olny taht the frist and lsat ltteres are at the rghit pcleas. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by ilstef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

"Everything that we know and understand comes down to perception, and by altering this perception we shake everything we know. All that you and I can know and understand is what we can see smell hear think touch and so on, and when something like mushrooms or salvia alters this steady perception, it can break reality permanently." - Dihnekis

Offlinedrtyfrnk
PresidentialCandidate 2008
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #4799159 - 10/13/05 03:17 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah, if anyone needs the work around, I have it saved in a secret location. So if you want it, just pm me

--------------------
It's Krang, Bitch!  :krang:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom