Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineBurton124
Don't die on me!
    #477475 - 12/02/01 08:53 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

As I looked at my cakes, still giving life in the jars, I help but think they look a little down. Some blue is starting to spot here and there around the cakes and it just looks sickly to me. So I went a head and messed around with it and birthed it hoping I can revive it. As of four days ago it is sitting in a coke bottle (poor man terrium) and I have been trying to get it to continue growing the rest of the cake. It really hasn't done much, looks dry to me. So then I went out yesterday night and purchased some Perlite everyone is raving about. I notice a little bit is growing so I am hoping that it might help it.

I also birthed one of my other jar, the last one since I only made two, that was also looking a little dried out. For that one I put it in umm... casing and put it under my bed like the instructions told me to. I did that on Friday and it is now Sunday and I see absolutely no change to it. I am not sure if it is growing in there or not. I am worried that mycelium was to dry. I checked the temperature under my bed and it is around 65-67 degrees, is this to cold for it?

I was wondering if any one can give me some advice on what I should do. This is my first time and I am doing this with out my parents knowing so I am limited to places I can set the cakes and what not. Please give me some advice on heating or other things I should be doing.

Thanks!

P.S. They are P.C. Pacific Coast strain, I think they are hard to grow??!?!?!?!

--------------------
Seems like I've been here before. Seems so familiar. Seems like I'm slipping into a dream within a dream.

Edited by Burton124 (12/02/01 09:42 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Re: Don't die on me! [Re: Burton124]
    #477519 - 12/02/01 09:15 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Blame Canada.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #477534 - 12/02/01 09:28 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

You can?t simply birth a half done cake. It will contaminate outside of the jar.

I?d start anew, use a pressure cooker for sterilisation(or boil them for 1.5 hours) and get the water content of the cakes right by using this:

When preparing the substrate, do it this way:
Put the required amount of vermiculite in a bowl (NOT for each jar separately!). Use a spatula or spoon to mix in enough water to saturate the vermiculite to the field capacity, mix well. The field capacity is reached when a small puddle,barely visible, forms at the bottom of the bowl when you tilt it. Then add the appropriate amount of BRF and mix together.(This works best if you use 1/2 cup vermiculite and 1/6 cup BRF per 1/2 pint jar)
The idea is to coat the wet vermiculite particles with the dry powder as you stir the mix with the spatula. This sounds trivial but it makes all the difference.

OfflineBurton124
Re: Don't die on me! [Re: Anno]
    #477546 - 12/02/01 09:35 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Well the cakes were about a few days from being birthed anyways, the only open areas was the little bit on the bottom of the jar. They were just about ready so I am not worried about it being contaminated, just not growing... Any other advice you can give me then?

--------------------
Seems like I've been here before. Seems so familiar. Seems like I'm slipping into a dream within a dream.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #477556 - 12/02/01 09:43 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

>Any other advice you can give me then?

Patience and time.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation