Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisiblePGF
square

Loc: Malaysia
What do you look for?
    #468397 - 11/24/01 01:42 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Well it finally rained here in the piedmont of NC. like any other day, I went walking around the lake, except today I was paying closer attention to the ground. Every now and then, I'd stop and push some leaves aside or move the matted pine needles to see if there was any evidence of shrooms. No luck today though.

What do you generally look for when hunting? Neart trees, not near trees, etc or is it just a hit and miss thing where you move aside leaves and needles and hit or miss on finding the goodies?

65 dergees and humidity was near 100% Thought it would be the perfect day. Of course, until now the ground has been dry and there has been no precipitation in over a month. So, maybe tomorrow or the next day would be better hunting. Maybe the fruit bodies have not had time to develop. Guess I'll see tomorrow.

--------------------
***The Real Shroomery nigger

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGabbaDjS
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
Re: What do you look for? [Re: PGF]
    #468440 - 11/24/01 02:50 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

I look for places with year round water. Lakes, Rivers, Streams. These places tend to be in low levels and retain humudity longer in the day and are prime for mycellium to grow... From their its really just hit and miss...

Im hunting with binoculars now.. They make things soo much easier and I can cover soo much more area in an hour than by just walking and looking...

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG             

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #468458 - 11/24/01 03:30 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Hola PGF. Damn that radiated person picture bothers me.

Any way.

Up in NC at this time of year you would want to look at decaying logs. The only psychoactive mushrooms you'd find are Gymnospilius, they are typicaly an orange color and briuse greenish. If you look around the hunting forums you can find some pics of Gyms.

I think you know this but... don't eat ANY mushroom untill you get a 100% positive ID on it. If you have a digital camera or a scanner, get us some pics :)

Peace out,
-Gumby

InvisiblePGF
square

Re: What do you look for? [Re: Gumby]
    #468482 - 11/24/01 04:00 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks. I just ordered a small pair of binoculars after reading gabba's post. Seemed like a logical thing to do, plus I would like to be able to scan the forest canopy for bird nests and squirrel nests and other tree top thingies.

I'll keep an eye out for things growing on the rotting logs. There are plenty where I go. I'll look this up, but is Gymnospilius a psylocibin shroom? I really do not plan on eating anything I find. I sure do not feel anywhere close to confident that i could positively ID something on my own. If I want shrooming shrooms, I just need to unpack the cans and stuff do the thing again.

Thanks, I'll search for the pics.

--------------------

InvisibleMy Third Eye
old hand

Folding@home Statistics
    #468497 - 11/24/01 04:18 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

it contains psilocybin but is not from the psilocybe genus

--------------------
suddenly a flaming stealth banana split the sky
like one would hope but never really expect
to see in a place like this.
Cutting right angle donuts on a dime
and stopping right at my Birkenstocks,
and me yelping...Holy fucking shit!

InvisiblePGF
square

Re: What do you look for? [Re: My Third Eye]
    #469132 - 11/25/01 10:48 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

I found lots of rotting logs today that had what may have been remnants of an orangish shroom. It could've been an orangish lichen though. I'm going to a better spot in a few minutes and am going to concentrate on the area closer to the lake. I'm also going to take the long hike back to where I found the lone amanita and see if the rain has brought some more up.

I can not believe the weather this time of year in NC. It's down right spooky. This close to December and I am wearing shorts and a t-shirt!

Oh well, do you know if there are any psychoactive lichen? Just curious. later

--------------------

Offlinedoo
addict -crazy as a shithouse rat
 User Gallery

Loc: Slingshit, China
    #469152 - 11/25/01 11:12 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Howdy PGF. We did finally get some much needed rain here in N.C. Of course we still need more to get things back to normal.Some areas are more than 10 inches below normal rainfall level.I'm also in the piedmont region although I'm further east than you (remember the "anthrax" scare,I'm in the same area as your bro' .Never did hear anything else about that,BTW).
As for mushroom growth,It's been so dry the past few months,that the recent rain may not be enough to bring up any decent flushes.It'll probably just get the mycelium going for later flushes.But you never can tell,so it doesn't hurt to look ; )
The best areas to look are the ones mentioned earlier.Areas that tend to hold moisture even during dry spells(creeks,swamps,low-lying places).Something to consider also are places that have been irrigated,such as turf and landscaped areas.
Good luck,I hope you find something,and welcome to the hunting forum.

doo

--------------------
- Arguing with a woman, is like trying to blow out a light bulb-

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #469238 - 11/25/01 01:40 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

.... you should look in some cow or Horse pastures.

:) Poppy growing fool

Keep shroomin,
GG

InvisiblePGF
square

Re: What do you look for? [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #469406 - 11/25/01 04:44 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

I went back out and kept toward the water the whole hike, excpet for a venture toward a pine forest that was burned out long ago and has a lot of rotting logs. I could not find one single mushroom. I guess it has been way too dry for fungi lately. However, I did find some orange residue on a log that may have been shrooms at one time. Then again, it way have been lichen. I wonder if there are any psycho active lichens or mosses?

Anyway, I know some people with cows, but they keep a bull and I don't think it would be a good idea to venture into that field, lol. One of the trails I hike is a horseback riding center's training trail and there is always mass poo there. I'll check that one in the morning.

Doo, I never heard anything else about that either. Are there any decent hikes around LakeJordan or that big lake in Wake county that you cross going to Wake Forest? I believe it is on HWY 98........

I'm going to buy a decent scanner or digi cam soon and as soon as I can get my laptop to recognize the modem card, i'll start posting what i find. I know in the spring there will be tons of stuff. I always see shrooms in the warm Spring weather.

Happy hunts guys.

--------------------

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Loc: GA
    #469433 - 11/25/01 05:08 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Check that horse trai in the spring after a few good rains, there is bound to be Panaeolus subbalteatus growing out there. Pan. subbs are easy to find and even easier to identify. The grow everywhere throughout the southeast from spring through late summer. Check horse stables and fields, also check grass clipping piles where folks empty their rider lawn mowers. I, as well as Gumbydude find subbs in old rotted grass clippings quite frequently.

As far as good Psilocybe habitat goes, look around grounds that have been disturbed and turned over by construction and are few years into regrowth already. Look in red-orangish clays where mosses are abundant and humidity is high. Look around newer neighborhoods in the lawns as well as in the woods that surround them. Any where the ground has been disturbed in the past 3-10 years by some type of construction and woody debris have been burried.

Good luck in your hunts :)

LK,

--------------------

InvisiblePGF
square

Re: What do you look for? [Re: Lizard King]
    #477142 - 12/02/01 01:24 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

I struck pay dirt. Well, I found a lot of shrooms, but I have no idea what they are right now.

I took the advice here and detoured my usual jaunt through the woods and headed up into a semi-
new development. Behind the development there is a new soccer field and two small baseball diamonds.
I thought for sure places like this would be bad. I assumed the landscapers used some sort of anti-fungal
when caring for the fields, but I was wrong.

What I found was about twenty small mushrooms in a ten yard circumfernce. The shrooms all were white
and the caps were large about an inch and a half in diameter. The stems were less than the diameter of a standard no. 2 pencil but very sturdy (and about 1.5 inches long). The gills were all purplish/ deep red. They did not have bumps on them. Just smooth white. I brought a few home and will try to get pics to post from someone elses PC. (there are issues posting with this Mac).

I did find one odd ball shroom. It too was white, but it had bumps on it (white bumps). The weird thig is that it was almost totally round. I thought it was a golf ball at first. I guess the veil had not separated yet. It's stem was very thin, almost wispy, but sturdy enough to support the golf ball sized shroom.

Anyway, looks like the rain did some good around here. I really wasn't expecting to find anything, but it was neat to spot what I did. I have yet to see another amanita since I found that lone one back a few weeks ago. I hope you other southerners are having as much luck.

Oh yeah, the horse trail has lots of fresh horse poop. Is the decomposed poop better than the new poop for shrooms?

--------------------

Edited by PGF (12/02/01 01:26 PM)

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #477774 - 12/02/01 10:33 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Send the pics over to me on IRC. I've got auto accept on so just send away. I'll post them for ya.

Did you take a sporeprint of them?

As far as I'm concerned... shit=shit, as long as it its present the mushrooms will probly grow. Keep a lookout for Pan. subbs in the spring.

InvisiblePGF
square

Re: What do you look for? [Re: Gumby]
    #478245 - 12/03/01 11:03 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

you can not open my pics that I send over IRC. It will show as a mac binary file. I've tried before. I need photoshop to change save it as the right kind of gif and then it will work properly. Right now, I do not have enough ram to run photoshop. Ram is cheap, so I need to get some. Thanks though. I'll fix it asap.

I have not been making spore prints...........if I do, will it make the ID easier?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom