Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Oyster Shell, Peat, Perlite, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTheMagicalMushi
Loc: Canada
Growing mushrooms..
    #476553 - 12/01/01 11:43 PM (15 years, 6 days ago)

Hello,

I am finally able to grow mushrooms now, I'm so happy excited and very anxious to get this started. First I have a few questions that need to be answered. But first I guess I will tell you about my way of growing these mushrooms.

I've chosen to try to do casings instead of cakes. My setup is going to be a rubber maid tupperware container, I'm going to have wet perlite on the bottom of the container., and I'm going to try to fit 3 casings inside. The bottom layer of the casing is going to be vermiculite , and the top is going to be 50/50 peat moss and vermiculite substrate. I was thinking of growing ecquadors maybe. Would this be a good strain for a newbie? And also, would you think I'd be able to pull off doing casings as the first time I grow if I watch it closly and be careful and whatnot? Do you guys have any suggestions or precautions I should take?

And a few more questions : First , If I cannot obtain a Pressure Cooker, how long would I have to boil my jars of subrate for, and at what temperature would it have to be?
Next, Does Captian Max mushroom sell spores to anyone under the ages of 18? Because he was recommended to me and his prices seem to be excellent.

Thank you all.

--------------------
"The closest thing to a lemon around here is that lemon shaped rock... wait a minute, theres a lemon behind that rock!"
- Bart Simpson

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Re: Growing mushrooms.. [Re: TheMagicalMushi]
    #476585 - 12/02/01 12:26 AM (15 years, 6 days ago)

I dont know if I would use perlite, that would produce too much humidity for casings. They need about 94% humidity pre-pinning and during fruiting about 86%. I would just put several casings in the rubbermaid and put a couple small holes on each side near the bottom. Then when you open to spray it, it will introduce fresh air.
Go with peat moss and vermiculite, but I would recommend 4 parts peat to 2 parts vermiculite. Add some oyster shells and limestone and sterilize the casing either in a pressure cooker or in the stove at 200 degrees for 2 hours.
If you cant get a pressure cooker, you should boil the jars for AT LEAST 1 hour, 1 hr 20 mins to be safe.

OfflineHammerloaf
addict

Loc: Canada
Re: Growing mushrooms.. [Re: ]
    #476603 - 12/02/01 12:54 AM (15 years, 6 days ago)

So no perlite in the bottom of the rubbermaid? just spraying for humidity... hmm... how often would you spray?
and how often would you fan? or would those be rolled up together?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Oyster Shell, Peat, Perlite, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation