Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineDeviate
Re: Cannabis - good or bad for the soul? [Re: dr0mni]
    #4761658 - 10/05/05 11:31 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

there is really an increased focusing ability on marijuana. when i smoke marijuana i have the power to focus and hold my attention on one thing without becomming distracted. in fact my favorite thing to do while high was to focus my attention on music and allow my consciousness to become absorbed in it and flow with it. another example: one time i got high and an insect landed on my leg. instead of just brushing the insect off like i would sober i became captivated staring at it, studying all its intricate parts. ive also experienced a greater ability to focus on reading and during class, not necessarily while high but after getting high and remebering the state of focus marijiuana allowed me to acheive. when im actually high i can become so focused i won't even understand what the professor says because i am so focused on the perception of his/her voice for instance.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedr0mni
My Own Messiah
 User Gallery

Loc: USF Tampa, Fl
Re: Cannabis - good or bad for the soul? [Re: Deviate]
    #4763015 - 10/06/05 08:53 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I understand what you're saying, but for me it feels like my focus isn't increasing so much as it is narrowing. I feel like I've got "tunnel vision" so to speak, and that all I can focus on is one thing at a time. My attention span won't allow for much else.

Also, even though I might be able to focus on one thing at a time, I would never be able to concentrate on it for a decent amount of time while stoned. As soon as something would grab my attention it would have all of my focus, and I would get distracted from what I was originally doing.

but that's my experiance anyways.

Invisibledemiu5
humans, lol
 User Gallery

Loc: the popcorn stadium Flag
    #4763046 - 10/06/05 09:01 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

I understand what you're saying, but for me it feels like my focus isn't increasing so much as it is narrowing. I feel like I've got "tunnel vision" so to speak, and that all I can focus on is one thing at a time. My attention span won't allow for much else.

I get this...but what I found after smoking daily for a little while was this: You have to learn to control it. Learn first how to take control of things like your eyes, making them focus and unfocus instantly if you want them to. Try to alter your hearing perception when say, listening to music...focus on one part, let it take you on its ride, then focus on another part and so on. Then listen to it as a whole.

Quote:

Also, even though I might be able to focus on one thing at a time, I would never be able to concentrate on it for a decent amount of time while stoned. As soon as something would grab my attention it would have all of my focus, and I would get distracted from what I was originally doing.

You don't learn to walk by immediately getting up and going. Your legs have to build muscle, and motor functions have to improve.

It just takes time and will to build up to how many things you can focus on at a given moment.

--------------------
channel your inner Larry David

Offlinedr0mni
My Own Messiah
 User Gallery

Re: Cannabis - good or bad for the soul? [Re: demiu5]
    #4763563 - 10/06/05 11:17 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

yeah, so you're basically saying that you have to put effort into it, right? Well I just think I can more efficiently exert effort sober. Plus I was just due for a change in my life anyways.

OfflineDroz
Love of Life
 User Gallery

Loc: Floorida
Re: Cannabis - good or bad for the soul? [Re: Deviate]
    #4764490 - 10/06/05 03:08 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Marijuana infacts makes you forget that you can already do that, so it sort of distorts your brain but you some how start to believe that you suddenly can focus better.

--------------------
Evolution of Time.

Invisibledemiu5
humans, lol
 User Gallery

Re: Cannabis - good or bad for the soul? [Re: Droz]
    #4765042 - 10/06/05 05:06 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Marijuana infacts makes you forget that you can already do that, so it sort of distorts your brain but you some how start to believe that you suddenly can focus better.

Don't use the word "fact" unless you can show proof. No offense, but please show me proof.

Whether I believe it or it is real...my attitude about almost everything changed when I became a daily user. I saw that I needed to set goals for myself. I went from being a C and D student to being an A student. So far I've kept that up. That's my personal proof, that is what I know, for me, works.

--------------------

Offlinedr0mni
My Own Messiah
 User Gallery

Re: Cannabis - good or bad for the soul? [Re: demiu5]
    #4765321 - 10/06/05 06:08 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

i'm not trying to argue with you here, Demius. I just want to share a bit more of my own experiance...

I was an A student all through every year of school. I was also stoned almost every day of school. I've always been an A student, and probably always will be. Pot never affected my school work, or how well I functioned in the world, and I thought that meant that it wasn't hurting me. But in actuality I was still unhappy. I used pot as a crutch because I didn't know how to have normal fun. I admired people who could hang out with their friends sober and still have fun, but I just didn't know how to do it myself. I'm finally learning...

Invisibledemiu5
humans, lol
 User Gallery

#4767003 - 10/07/05 12:05 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Like I said earlier, everyone has to find what works for them. That's kind of how alcohol is for me. I used to drink everyday back in my sophmore year of high school. come home, get drunk, do my work, go to sleep. I found that I became fairly depressed. So I stopped drinking, and still very rarely do.

It all depends on the person.

--------------------

OfflineHB
Male User Gallery

#4767023 - 10/07/05 12:10 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

to put it simply, everything in moderation ... every tool that exists in this world can also be a hinderance, but ONLY when used irresponsibly ...

moderation and responsibility means using it not based on how others use it, or how you feel it should be used, or even what erowid says ... but rather how it affects YOU personally ... the minimum dose necessary for me tends to carry the maximum potential with minimum side effects ... and whenever i go past that dose, i always regret it later in one way or another ... and with each further time where i dose too high, i tend to create a negative pattern in myself which gets harder and harder to abstain from ...

a common misconception is that pot is harmless or that it isn't a drug ... this is laughable! it CAN be harmless, but again, only with the right moderation, based on your personal experience with the drug and with different doses ...

for example ... using it to get stoned before cleaning your room may make it seem like cleaning your room will be less mundane ... as true as this can be, once you are done cleaning, you no longer have a 'victory bowl' to celebrate the work you just did ... you can HAVE the victory bowl, but it will not feel the same ... you need the contrast of real, effort-filled sober living to truly enjoy the stoned-ness of pot ...

to expand the topic though, i feel it should be clear whether we are talking about sativas or indicas ... for those who don't get the choice, this question may not be applicable ... but truly the difference between a pure white widow sativa and a pure hashplant indica is phenomenal enough to warrant labelling this distinction ...

on a personal note, for the first time in a while i have been clean of pot for a few days, with positive results and the motivation to continue this abstinence further ... because not only will my sober life be enhanced by this necessary break, but my pot usage later will be more educated and more enjoyable, too ...

Invisibleit stars saddam
Satan

Loc: Spahn Ranch
Re: Cannabis - good or bad for the soul? [Re: HB]
    #4767688 - 10/07/05 06:14 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom." -William Blake

OfflineHB
Male User Gallery

Re: Cannabis - good or bad for the soul? [Re: it stars saddam]
    #4768204 - 10/07/05 09:31 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

maybe for some ... although there is definitely wisdom to be found through listening to others, i prefer to listen to my own body than to famous names or majorities when it comes to my health and happiness ...

:wink:

Offlinefreddurgan
Techgnostic
Male

#4768265 - 10/07/05 09:47 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

dr0mni said:

Yep. I once mistook it for increased focus as well, but I found it's just a narrowed focus. For me at least.

My life has become so much better since I let the weed go.

--------------------
Ishmael
http://www.ishmael.org

Ron Paul 2008!
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

Offlinedr0mni
My Own Messiah
 User Gallery

Re: Cannabis - good or bad for the soul? [Re: freddurgan]
    #4768340 - 10/07/05 10:09 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

that william blake quote reminds me of what I always say: Sometimes we have to go through dark times in our lives before we can see the light.

I can see how that Blake quote could be gravely misinterpreted...

Offlinea_h_w
Stranger
    #4768371 - 10/07/05 10:20 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I thank cannabis for all the doors it opened for me. shrooms and ayahuasca came into my life because of that special plant. it helped me heal much pain and suffering. it helped me find myself again. but then I finally had to learn to live without it. because repeated chronic use and abuse brought me to a wreck. shrooms saved me there. they opened the way for freedom when I realized how cannabis could kill a shroom trip. it's not always the case as I find this to be one of the most complex equations of psychedelic use. but more and more I prefer not mixing cannabis with shrooms.
if I spend one week smoking cannabis daily, I'm sure to get all messed up. and of course the first day without smoking is always terrible, but I do believe the best way, at least for me, is smoking a maximum of three days per week.
I wouldn't quit cannabis because it provides very interesting moments, particularly when discussing philosophy/metaphysical issues with my wife or listening to music lying down alone in the dark. but I do have to impose strict discipline on myself to be able to smoke only twice/thrice a week.

Invisibleit stars saddam
Satan

#4768379 - 10/07/05 10:23 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

How do you know your interpretation is correct? I've never heard the quote described in that way.

OfflineIgnatiusJReilly
Up From Sloth
Male

Loc: LA
    #4768397 - 10/07/05 10:27 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Yep. I once mistook it for increased focus as well, but I found it's just a narrowed focus. For me at least.

My life has become so much better since I let the weed go.

For some, this narrowing of focus is a blessing. I honestly feel that for myself, the narrow focus achieved with marijuana is impossible to achieve without it. I use marijuana as a practice tool in music, to develop my chops due to the focus it provides. I never use marijuana creatively, for it constrains me and blows up my sense of self-consciousness. Similarly, I never write creatively with marijuana, but I have been known to edit my papers while high on cannabis. Marijuana creates a super-awareness in myself of myself, so that superficiality in my writing becomes ultra-apparent, and I'm able to fix it as a result.

Because of this self-consciousness that marijuana instills, I HATE to use it socially, or in the daytime, or more than once a week. An eighth of an ounce tends to last me three to six months. It's a tool, and my mind would not benefit from abusing it.

In all honesty I am scared of marijuana. Thus I respect it.

--------------------
"A Bad Day for Pants"

Offlinedr0mni
My Own Messiah
 User Gallery

Re: Cannabis - good or bad for the soul? [Re: IgnatiusJReilly]
    #4768514 - 10/07/05 10:51 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

"How do you know your interpretation is correct? I've never heard the quote described in that way."

well the idea that excess is what causes wisdom seems foolish to me. Excess is a result of ignorance (please don't pick too much at my word choice here). Excess is not a virtue. The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom only if we learn from our mistakes.

Learning from experiance is the source of wisdom. And if you go down the road of excess you learn from experiance that it only brings suffering... and thus you are led to the palace of wisdom.

why, how did you interpret it?

and the beauty of interpretation is that they are subjective, and thus equally valid, even if they don't match up with the writers' original intention.

Invisibleit stars saddam
Satan

#4768613 - 10/07/05 11:14 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I always figured it was somewhere along the same lines as what Rimbaud was saying when he described "a reasoned derangement of the senses" in order to attain enlightenment.

The *above Blake quote* was also where Jim Morrison derived the band name for the Doors, and you can see how his interpretation was directly reflected in his lifestyle. Not that I'm trying to claim that Jim Morrison's interpretation of Blake and Rimbaud is necessarilly correct, just an interesting example.

edit: What the fuck am I talking about? It was a different Blake quote that inspired The Doors' band name.

"If the doors of perception were cleansed, things would appear to man as they truly are; infinite."

That makes more sense.

Edited by itstarssaddam (10/07/05 04:47 PM)

OfflineIgnatiusJReilly
Up From Sloth
Male

Loc: LA
Re: Cannabis - good or bad for the soul? [Re: it stars saddam]
    #4769280 - 10/07/05 01:21 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Rimbaud shot his best friend and lover then became a jungle-man and died of malaria or some crap.

And converted to christianity on his death bed.

--------------------
"A Bad Day for Pants"

Edited by IgnatiusJReilly (10/07/05 01:22 PM)

Invisibleit stars saddam
Satan

Re: Cannabis - good or bad for the soul? [Re: IgnatiusJReilly]
    #4769847 - 10/07/05 03:18 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

IgnatiusJReilly said:
And converted to christianity on his death bed.

Sorry to hear that.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale