Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleNecco
Thread Killer
 User Gallery

Loc: west of a white house
Fresh spores to inoculation, what must be done?
    #4759876 - 10/05/05 04:42 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

In the vast multitude of corespondence on this and other forums I was totally incapable of determining the answer to a simple question.

So if I harvest the mushroom and take a spore print, what must be done before I use these spores to inoculate? Should I wait some specific amount of time? Do they need a cold treatment? Do they need to be thoroughly dehydrated, or dry for a certain amount of time, before I can use them? Do they need to be hydrated in pure water before they can be used on a substrate? Any of this questions answered would make my day.

(for instance, if nothing was necessary I could scrape spores from the gills of a growing shroom and through them on some substrate. For some reason I just don't think they would germinate (at least not as fast as those in my syringes)... but that is only my intuition, I was hoping for real answers.)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineixitwistedixi
The TwIsTeD One

Re: Fresh spores to inoculation, what must be done? [Re: Necco]
    #4759895 - 10/05/05 04:47 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

You need to make a spore syringe w/ them. Teks can be found by seraching this site. I let my hydrate for 24 hrs atleast.

InvisibleNecco
Thread Killer
 User Gallery

Loc: west of a white house
Re: Fresh spores to inoculation, what must be done? [Re: ixitwistedixi]
    #4762069 - 10/06/05 01:05 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I'm not sure I believe you. I *need* to make a syringe with them? Oh I doubt that. It no doubt makes inoculation easier, more efficient and economical than other methods of inoculation, but that wasn't quite my question. Let's try this again:
How about if I let it rehydrate on substrate? Would it not work without the 24 hour water soak, or would it just take 24 hours longer than if I inoculated it with spores already soaked?
Notice you use the word "rehydrate." Well, now, who said they were ever dehydrated? I mentioned taking them straight from the shroom. One of my questions was whether they *needed* to be dried thoroughly before being re-hydrated.
I'm assuming there is some type of mechanism innate to spores that cause them to hold off germination until some type of specific condition. In the wild they frequently land directly on the substrate that the mushroom they came from grew out of, if there was some uncolonized portion of substrate would that spore immediately germinate?
Pretty soon, if nobody can answer this question, I'll be able to answer it myself. I picked a shroom, laid it on a piece of foil, waited a few minutes, scraped what spores had already landed, suspended them in water and sprayed them onto substrate immediately. I suppose I just didn't have the patience to figure out whether there was something wrong with that process, so I came here and asked this question. Still, feel free, if somebody really knows, to tell me. I'm grateful for any true information that comes my way.

--------------------

"Now ether was substituted for chloroform, and the difference of their phenomena noted, and now some other exhilarant, in the form of an opiate or stimulant, was the instrument of my experiments, until I had run through the whole gamut of queer agents within my reach..."          I can do everything!!

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4762605 - 10/06/05 05:24 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

From a print, you can just scrape some spores onto an agar plate or onto a substrate in sterile conditions, i.e. glove box, flow hood. A syringe made from a print is ideal to inoculate jars, being that you don't have to be as sterile in your procedures during inoculation. This information can be found pretty easily with the search feature and would have taken less time than your long-winded post. :smirk:

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #4762606 - 10/06/05 05:26 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #4762608 - 10/06/05 05:26 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

^^^^^^^^
Took less than 2 minutes.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Offlineoniq
another brick in the wall
Re: Fresh spores to inoculation, what must be done? [Re: FooMan]
    #4762639 - 10/06/05 05:51 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Nice way to get contams if you're just spraying spore solution on the top of substrate.

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Fresh spores to inoculation, what must be done? [Re: oniq]
    #4762645 - 10/06/05 05:56 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

oniq said:
Nice way to get contams if you're just spraying spore solution on the top of substrate.

Not really, if you do it in a glove box or under a hepa filtered flow hood.

This jar was inoculated by "spraying spore solution on top of the substrate" in a glove box:There is no dry vermiculite top layer and the metal lid was replaced with a Tyvek filter.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Fresh spores to inoculation, what must be done? [Re: oniq]
    #4762646 - 10/06/05 05:56 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

oniq said:

exactly!~

but he wants real answers...

think he has a tude?

:smirk:

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Invisiblebackupwards
peon

Loc: somewhere else
    #4762786 - 10/06/05 07:20 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

scraped them up with what? sprayed them with what? did you sterilize the instruments that you sprayed them with, how about the water that you scraped the spores into? what kind of substrate did you spray them onto? how, how, how? what's the conditions that you placed the sprayed substrate in after you sprayed it? did you mix the suspension thoroughly before you sprayed? how much suspension liquid did you use and how much substrate?

the answers to your questions are as follows in order of your asking them: nothing must be done (unless you want a better chance at germination), no (unless you want them thoroughly hydrated, giving you faster germination), no a cold treatment is not necessary, no, and no they don't have to be but it would increase your germination rates/times.

:peace:

OfflineShdwstr
FSRCanada
Male

Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #4762837 - 10/06/05 07:44 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Freshly dropped spores do not "need" to be rehydrated. Dried prints do.
But... to get the most efficient dispersal throughout your medium, mixing them in a sterile water solution is recommended.
Other methods "may" work, it's up to you whether you decide to follow the ways of the more experienced, or just experiment and play. It's just a hobby :smile:

Have Fun & Good Luck!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order