Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineXetava
Stranger
Spawning in filter patch bags
    #470633 - 11/26/01 11:05 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Allo,

I've searched the forums and read a lot of teks trying to find info on this and haven't been able to find any. So I thought I'd ask you, the good people reading this, if you had any information.

It seems like using canning jars is an unnecessarily laborious process that leaves a lot of room for contamination. I know that commercial growers use filter patch bags filled with substrate to create large amounts of spawn. How come I've never heard anyone 'round here talking about doing it this way?

Load up the filter patch bag, SEAL it, autoclave/pressure cook it, let it cool and then innoculate by injecting spore water through the patch bag. Then put some tape over the innoculation hole and wait for it to colonize.

It seems to me that doing it this way greatly reduces the threat of contamination because the substrate is definitely sterile and you've only got one possible point of contaminent introduction (the hold you made when injecting). And when it's colonized, you've got a couple pounds of spawn instead of the sorry ass little amount you get from a half pint or even pint sized jar.

Is there some disadvantage I'm not seeing? Does anyone have experience with this method?

Any information y'all have is very greatly appreciated.

Cheerio,

.._-xXx-_..

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTreeofLife
Loc: OH
Re: Spawning in filter patch bags [Re: Xetava]
    #471015 - 11/27/01 10:24 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

where is the best place to buy the cheapest, best pressure cooker bags that can withstand 15psi for an hour, and come with a filter patch.

--------------------
The only thing you have to fear is, fear itself...

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #471038 - 11/27/01 11:05 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

>Is there some disadvantage I'm not seeing?
>Does anyone have experience with this method?

-you need a big pressure cooker.
-you need to cook for a prolonged time because of the mass of the substrate(2+ hours).
-you need an (expensive) sealer to sel the bags
-the bags are not reusable(= rel. expensive)
-If you DO get contamination, you loose much more

Well, on the other side, they are convenient, they don?t brake, you can shake them easily, you can fruit directly drom them.

So all in all, you have to decide.

InvisibleSlattMoan

#471087 - 11/27/01 12:29 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

the only real disadvantage my gator had with them was that they take longer to colonize. gator doesn't suggest useing brown rice with fliter patch bags either, because that just equals a big ass mess. use fintch seed or millet. mycelium fruits carries these bags and they're really not that expensive in comparison to jars. a box of jars pretty much equals one spawn bag in relevance to the amount of substrate you can fit into the bag.

OfflinepsilocyberV
old hand

#472205 - 11/28/01 09:24 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Post deleted by administrator.

OfflineGluWater1
Stranger
    #476082 - 12/01/01 12:56 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

The Way that I have been using my filter patch bags is great! I learned it from Ryche, all you gotta do is get some jars that are ready to go and take a gallon freezer zip lock baggie, poke some holes in it and fill it about half way up with manure. Take a whole cake and carefully crumble it in to dime size peices and mix it in evenly. I use one filter patch bag for every three freezer bags. after about three days break up all the colonized parts and let it sit some more, it usally take about 7 to 10 days for all of them to colonize. Then you will have a lot of myceliym to use for any thing you want. If you would like to know how to pasturize the manure just let me know, its easy to do but must be done before you use it to grow on. By the way I buy 50lb bags of composted cow manure at ACE hardware for like 3.00, and it dosnt smell at all!!!! I have been doing this for about three years and works great. ALso you can get filter patch bags at fungi.com and that is Paul Stamets store, you get 10 of them for $10. Hope every thing works for you!

Offlinepatzee
enthusiast

Re: Spawning in filter patch bags [Re: Anno]
    #476240 - 12/01/01 04:26 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

FYI Filter patch bags can "break" in high pressure autoclaves when sealed.
Created a terrible and costly mess for me.
Always-Release pressure slowly. yikes!

Offlineroykinn
enthusiast

Re: Spawning in filter patch bags [Re: patzee]
    #476565 - 12/01/01 09:59 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

I'm about to innoculate sterilized rye grain in my sealed spawn bags, this might be a stupid question, but how should I go about it.... Where should I stick the syringe in, how hard should I shake it, and what type of tape is best to cover the needle hole with??

also, if I'm flame sterilizing the needle before innoculation, should I get it red hot? and how long should I wait for it to cool down before I innoculate?

--------------------
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline- It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nunclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -Frank Zappa

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Spawning in filter patch bags [Re: roykinn]
    #476806 - 12/02/01 02:44 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Deleted by admin

Offlineroykinn
enthusiast

Re: Spawning in filter patch bags [Re: World Spirit]
    #476816 - 12/02/01 02:54 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

thanks Enter.... Throughout the spawn bag's colonization should I frequently shake the grain to break apart the mycelium? how often should this be done?

--------------------
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline- It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nunclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -Frank Zappa

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #476830 - 12/02/01 03:17 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Deleted by admin

Offlineroykinn
enthusiast

#476870 - 12/02/01 04:57 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

that helps a lot, and thanks for the feedback. By adding to the spawn bags do you mean I'll have to add additional water to it throughout it's growth? I'm wondering because I'm going on vacation to see my family throughout the holidays and need to leave the bags alone for a few weeks, i dont mind if they colonize slowly, and if I time it correctly I should have them ready for birth by the time I get back. I'm using dimitri's sterilized rye grain bags... thanks again

--------------------

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #476963 - 12/02/01 10:05 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Deleted by admin

Offlineroykinn
enthusiast

#477133 - 12/02/01 01:20 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

LOL, no, I left the nest years ago. Nothing for me to worry about there, I hear what you're saying though, nothing like this should ever come between a family. Thanks for the replies, they really helped, now to actually follow through with it and hope that things go my way-

peace

roy

--------------------

OfflineB.I.O.
old hand
Male User Gallery
    #477987 - 12/03/01 04:36 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

we started constructing a simple machine 4 our filterbags...one step cuts out a square hole for the filter ...the other step solders the filterpatch on it...we decided to do so cause from merck (germany) we get the pp bags...the rest we do ourselves...also it is much easier to crumble cakes and mix them...jars still have some advantages for very sensitive myceliums...some myceliums definately die if you movem too much...

BiO.

InvisibleAlkaloids
3,4,5-trimethoxyphenethylamine
Male

Loc: pubis mons
    #482725 - 12/07/01 03:17 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

better yet if you have a Laminar flow hood, sterilize your substrate in an unsealed bag and use agar to innoc straight to the grain then seal in front of the flow hood. Agar will give you much faster colonization. :)

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom