Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Mushroom-Hut Shop: Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibledoubledutch
Morado PR

Loc: Puerto Rico
A fridge project that needs proper closure.
    #4757644 - 10/05/05 04:35 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I've always seen my little mini-fridge (hasn't been plugged in all Fall semester, just sitting there with pretzels and distilled bottled water in it) from across the room and thought that someday I may want to do something with it. It bears an uncanny resemblance to the following fridge.

Said fridge was donated to a friend of a friend who placed on it's back on the floor. Perlite has been poured into it and moisturized and there is perlite on the shelf and in the bottom. By shelf I mean that if you look at the picture and imagine that horizontal screen gone and the fridge on it's back, the bottom-most part of the fridge is actually raised within the container. This shelf is long and skinny and can fit a good 7" x 14" casing and the bottom part can hold a 6" x 6" casing. Anyway - I'm having a few problems getting this perfect little thing to turn itself into a terrarium (fruiting chamber) for me.

I wouldn't need any more airflow, because by lifting the lid and fanning that, that's more than ample air exchange. Easy. However I do need:
1. To increase the RH. Misting and perlite doesn't SEEM to be enough. Are there any good cordless humidifiers? If not, would I have to drill the hole in the fridge for the coolmist?
2. To know if I'd need a see through top on this fruiting chamber, or if it would benefit greatly from it - because the only light getting in is from when I open the top for air exchange.

Thanks a lot.

--------------------
"A delightful, wholesome experience for the family." - Desson Thomson, THE WASHINGTON POST

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...rue#Post5481456

omfg~dutch!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineKonnrade
↑↑↓↓<--><-->BA
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: LA Suburbs
Re: A fridge project that needs proper closure. [Re: doubledutch]
    #4757768 - 10/05/05 07:15 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

well, as for the light... does the fridge have a light in it?

Since it's a mini fridge there's a good chance it doesnt... but if it does you could remove a panel or two from the fridge for access, clip the wiring for the light, and just wire the bulb to a plug. Then you could just plug the light bulb in to turn it on, or plug it into a timer.

And, after you've allready exposed some guts, it would make it easier to put in a hole for inputting humid air from a coolmist.

--------------------

I find your lack of faith disturbing

InvisibleJackTackle
pinningmycologist

Loc: behind you
Re: A fridge project that needs proper closure. [Re: Konnrade]
    #4757773 - 10/05/05 07:17 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

sounds like a waste of a fridge

if you're really itching to use it i would set it up as an incubator and fruit in something else

--------------------
Stay Blue!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Mushroom-Hut Shop: Substrate Mix