Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDoctorFluff
Stranger

Pinning Trouble With Cakes
    #4751180 - 10/03/05 09:47 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

This is my first grow. I inoculated on Friday, Sept 30. I followed the PF-Tech for Simple Minds Tech pretty much verbatim. I poked holes in the 8 jars, put the brf/vermiculite mixture in. Cleaned the top 1/2-3/4 inch of the jars and added the layer of dry vermiculite. I then pressure cooked at 15 psi for 1 hour, then let cool for 7 hours in the close pc. The jars seemed to be room temperature for a couple hours at that point so I proceeded to inoculate. Sprayed Lysol all over the bathroom and cleaned my hands well. Sterilized the B+ syringe with a butane bbq torch (not sure if this may have been too hot). Let air in, shook the syringe, and squirt a little bit out to cool the needle. Then took the foil off the jars and inoculated them one by one. It seems a couple drops of the solution would be stuck to the end of the syringe when I pulled it out of each hole, so I started wiggling it in/out a little bit before pulling the syringe out to get the drops to fall. I realize now that I should have probably put the opening of the needle towards the outside of the glass so that all the drops would contact the glass and slide down. I don't see how this could be much of a problem, so I'm not too worried about it. I then placed the inoculated jars inside a cooler, where they stayed for about 48 hours. The jars were kept at around 70 degrees during this period.

I decided that I should create some sort of incubator setup to get the temps up. This is my creation.

Basically it's a rubber maid container, like 32"x12"x6.5" or somewhere around that. It has 3 or 4 gallons of water in it, and a fish tank heater submerged on one end with a pot to hold the jars on the other.

When it is unattended, a lid is placed over the pot to stop water from dripping onto/into the jars. The lid has a hole in the top and leaves about an inch open on the sides for air. The rubber maid container lid is placed over the entire thing, and it is kept under the bed, where it is nice and dark.

I understood there would be some contamination risks with the open water like that, so I placed around 1/2 cup of peroxide in the water.

I have no signs of colonization as of yet, but it's only day 3 now, so there is still time.

The whole contraption is kept at around 84 degrees.

Basically I'm wondering a few things. Will the jars be OK in this humidity? I haven't seen any water collect in the jars as of yet.

Will the jars be OK in this area that is at high risk of contamination?

Would the temperature change from 70 degrees to 84 degrees hurt the mycelium in this early stage of development?

About how long without seeing any colonization should I start worrying?

And in case you were wondering, yes those are my beautiful feet in the above image.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I'll keep this updated with my progress.

Edited by DoctorFluff (10/31/05 02:17 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinedjred

Re: Humid Incubation Setup [Re: DoctorFluff]
    #4751287 - 10/03/05 10:02 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

dude wtf is that little elf feet ? :smile: you need a better incubation set up for your jars im not here to skool ya shroomery has plenty of shit to offer to grow from use a little thinking and researching..but your set is close you just need to tweak it better tub n tub tub n tub tubntub

InvisibleFooManM
Back at it
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4751351 - 10/03/05 10:13 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Your setup looks good to me! I would open the pot once every day or two and fan it out a little just to make sure you aren't building up any CO2 which will slow growth down. GL with your grow and keep us updated! :thumbup:

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

OfflineDoctorFluff
Stranger

Re: Humid Incubation Setup [Re: FooMan]
    #4755239 - 10/04/05 06:43 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I + 4 (4 days after inoculation)

Today I got to come home to this:

24 hours ago, there were no signs of growth. Now every jar has 4 spots of mycelium and no contams.

Offlinewizardbrandon
Stranger
Re: Humid Incubation Setup *DELETED* [Re: DoctorFluff]
    #4760066 - 10/05/05 07:38 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Post deleted by wizardbrandon

Reason for deletion: Don't want this showing in google searches.

Invisiblemusher_420
Stranger

Re: Humid Incubation Setup [Re: wizardbrandon]
    #4760094 - 10/05/05 07:45 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I made almost the exact same thing for my first grow. Your gonna be fine for those few jars but after those are done you wanna get two rubbermaids and use that submersable heater to make an incubator with no hummidity and WAY more space. I found that If I wraped a blanket around the incubator There was a bit less condensation.

--------------------
My Humidifier Reservoir Expansion Tek

Must read links for beginners

Btw- You are not what you own!

InvisibleFooManM
Back at it
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4760137 - 10/05/05 07:58 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

If you had that much growth in 24hrs, it is probably mold :frown:

Healthy Myc:

Mold:

The myc usually starts growing at the inoculation points outwards, not little spots like you see in the seconds picture. I hope I'm wrong. Good Luck!

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

OfflineDoctorFluff
Stranger

Re: Humid Incubation Setup [Re: FooMan]
    #4760302 - 10/05/05 08:59 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Maybe it's just hopeful thinking, but I'm inclined to think that it isn't mold. Mostly because all of the jars have the same texture/color/patterns where the white stuff is growing. Maybe it's growing unevenly because either:

a: I used 12 cc across 8 jars, so I can see maybe if a few drops slid down the sides and that's how the bottom got colonized the same time as the middle spot.

b: I shook the needle when it was in, so maybe that scattered the spored a little bit.

In any case, the growth seems to have slowed a little, all the jars are almost as far as the pic I posted yesturday, but no explosive growth.

The tinfoil tops for the jars is a great idea! Dunno why I didn't think of that. For this grow, I already have it set up with the pot, but next time I'll definately do either the tub in tub or use foil instead of the pot.

OfflineDoctorFluff
Stranger

Pinning Trouble [Re: DoctorFluff]
    #4875050 - 10/31/05 02:15 PM (12 years, 26 days ago)

FooManShroom,

It looks like you were right about the cobweb.

I definitely do not recommend that incubation setup. I ended up with 6 of 8 cakes contaminated. 1 seemed to be salvageable. I cut out the contamination and split the cake in half to make sure it wasn't inside after dunking. I dunked all of my cakes for 14 hours in the fridge with mostly filtered water (Brita filtered) and a small amount of h2o2 (not measured exactly but somewhere on the order of 1/30th 3% h2o2, so about 0.1% h2o2).

The vermiculite on the top of the cakes must have gotten mixed a little with the brf/moisture when I moved the cakes around, because the cakes were starting to colonize that pretty heavily too (this would also explain why I had such a high rate of contamination). I ended up cutting off the tops of the cakes with a razor to get all the uncolonized vermiculite off.

After the dunk, I rolled the cakes in vermiculite, then placed them on their upside down jar tops on top of 1.5" of moist perlite.

Now I am attempting to fruit the 2 cakes that fully colonized OK and the cake that I split in two. The fruiting chamber goes between 62-70 degrees throughout the course of a day. Is this a sufficient amount of heat for pinning, or should I set up a Tub-In-Tub for my fruiting chamber?

It has now been 10 days since birthing. Around day 3 I saw a little bit of cobweb forming around the tops of the cakes, I sprayed lightly with an h202 mixture and haven't seen it since. I am fanning about 3 times a day and the cakes get about 12 hours of florescent light a day from a screw in florescent light bulb in the closet. I usually spray the side of the rubber-maid container a couple times once a day.

I am starting to worry about the pins not showing up.

Here are what the two healthier cakes look like. The uncolonized vermiculite is from the dunk and roll.

A little moist perlite fell into the lids, and that is why it is so white at the bottom. They myc seems to be attempting to colonize the perlite at the bottom but failing. Should i try and remove this perlite that is sitting in the lids with the cakes?

Thanks for all your help.

Offlinedr0mni
My Own Messiah
 User Gallery

Loc: USF Tampa, Fl
Re: Pinning Trouble *DELETED* [Re: DoctorFluff]
    #4875865 - 10/31/05 06:02 PM (12 years, 26 days ago)

Post deleted by dr0mni

Reason for deletion: ...

OfflineDoctorFluff
Stranger

Re: Pinning Trouble [Re: dr0mni]
    #4880579 - 11/01/05 07:21 PM (12 years, 25 days ago)

dr0mni:

Thanks for the advice.

After looking around a bit I decided that the temperature was at least slowing down the pinning. I set up a Tub In Tub around my fruiting chamber keeping the fruiting chamber at 72 degrees (my fish tank heater maxes out at about that, I may need to purchase a more powerful heater for my next grow).

After 24 hours in this setup I have pins on 3 of 4 cakes. Whether it's coincidence, or the colder temperatures were preventing pinning or slowing them down, I'm not sure.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation