Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibletony8404
Stranger
 User Gallery
second flush questions, need some advice/help in right direction
    #4750569 - 10/03/05 05:36 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

well, my first flush wasn't all that but since this is my first time making it to growing actual mushrooms, its a success. the first flush was not more then maybe 18-22 mushies. they were not all that big either i had some good size but more smaller ones. but they were not all over the place only in certain spots which is fine but i thought that when pinning it would be everywhere. but i do know what i did wrong, i didn't pick the first mushie that came up. lesson learned. after the first flush i added water to the casing from the sides and corners until water barely soaked up into the casing, i had used a dry verm layer so i guess that held alot of water. then i added a small layer of casing mix on top of that cause i scratched little bit where the casing got hard as a rock from drops of water falling from the lid. well, after some days i started to see a mushie poke through, well, i pulled it and then more came but like i said there not everywhere just in some spots. well, this time i had some really good size mushies and i counted 16 mushies this time and now no more pins are visible... so i asume that was the end of the flush no? well, i picked 3 aborts and misted the casing and added water like last time and i noticed some of the casing is alittle tough. My q's are First, am i doing something wrong that pins are not every where, when i see pics of peoples casing i see a heck of alot more pins/shrooms then im getting. Second, should i do a good scratching now since some of the casing is becoming hard again? will, that allow more mushies to break through? and Third, do i sound like im in the right direction? cause i have right now 12 jars of blue meanies and 6 pints of keepers creepers collonizing and i wanna be more prepared for those to grow... and help would be greatly appreciated...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibletony8404
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: second flush questions, need some advice/help in right direction [Re: tony8404]
    #4750624 - 10/03/05 05:46 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

maybe my post is too long.. here are the questions....My q's are First, am i doing something wrong that pins are not every where, when i see pics of peoples casing i see a heck of alot more pins/shrooms then im getting. Second, should i do a good scratching now since some of the casing is becoming hard again? will, that allow more mushies to break through? and Third, do i sound like im in the right direction? cause i have right now 12 jars of blue meanies and 6 pints of keepers creepers collonizing and i wanna be more prepared for those to grow... and help would be greatly appreciated...

Offlinemockeylock
head
 User Gallery

Re: second flush questions, need some advice/help in right direction [Re: tony8404]
    #4750625 - 10/03/05 05:46 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

It's a balance of genetics, moisture content, and experience with casings.

This is a Vietnam strain, a less domesticated or "wild" strain if you will:

These are Equador's, a great tried and true strain:

They were both grown and cased in the exact same way....

Just patch until you have mycelium just barely showing in he valleys of your casing and make sure it's well misted but not wet.

Besides that, you'll find some strains will do better for you than others.
Just keep at it and learn as you go...

...and good luck with heavy flushes!

--------------------

Invisibletony8404
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: second flush questions, need some advice/help in right direction [Re: mockeylock]
    #4750646 - 10/03/05 05:52 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

im using 60/40 casing with crushed oyster shells for ph balance with popcorn as substrate... is there something that i can add to my casing that will give more nutrients?? Will, adding some brown rice flower be a good nutrient addition? also, i only used one pint jar of corn for my casing should i put more then 1 pint jar when doing casings?

Offlinemockeylock
head
 User Gallery

#4750686 - 10/03/05 05:59 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I'd use more than a pint, that's a small casing. Those casings have 3 qts each, with about 3qts moistened vermiculite mixed in, allowed to recover, then cased.

There's been a lot of mixed results with popcorn...I don't think a whole lot of people use it...

WBS is super cheap and effective. Popcorn works allright, I wouldn't add anything for nutrients unless you spawn to poo. Adding the vermiculite, I think, is key. Grain has lots more nutrients than poo, it just doesn't have the water to push out big flushes...so add it in!

--------------------

Invisibletony8404
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: second flush questions, need some advice/help in right direction [Re: mockeylock]
    #4750967 - 10/03/05 07:06 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

so you use three quarts of substrate, then you take 3 quarts of moistened verm and mix the substrate with the verm? what else do you do to case then?

Offlinemockeylock
head
 User Gallery

#4751034 - 10/03/05 07:20 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

After it's recovered, meaning I'd incubate for 2-3 days until the mycelium covers the mixture, just case with 50/50 or whatever like normal. Then incubate again until the mycelium starts to poke through evenly, patching if necessary, and induce fruiting. Pins come a week later....

The only difference from casing strait grain is that you've added, I don't know, a good pound of water built into the casing. Considering mushies are at least 90% water, it makes for much better flushes.
It also expands the mass of mycelium from which you're fruiting substantially. I believe grain has way more than enough nutes for tons of shrooms, it just runs out of water to push out the fruits. The water allows the grain to produce much closer to it's potential.

Lots of people blow off grain as so inferior to poo, but i think few have realized its true potential. Poo does make for more potent shrooms, though. Anyway, sorry for rambling I just know what works for me at 30 cents a pound for WBS compared to dollars a pound to have dung shipped to your house.

Just my personal opinion, do with it what you will....

--------------------

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #4751600 - 10/03/05 09:10 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Check out my pinning strategy for addition info. :wink:

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

OfflineKreont
Stranger
    #25717926 - 01/02/19 02:52 AM (5 years, 2 months ago)

Hello there,

My first grow went perfectly fine, now the thing is few mushrooms has fully grown, and others just have started. So the question is should i collect these first and start the second flush? I was doing PFtek method (cakes) but my jars were a bit narrow at the top and cake were not able to leave the jar in one piece, so i have to break them up in pieces. The question is how should i soak them (how much water, and what period of time), having in mind the problem of removing water later, so i can start the new flush?

I hope you can help.
Thanks in advance!
Happy holidays! :smile:

OfflineSubfinder
Wildlife enthusiast
Male User Gallery

Loc: Pennsylvania
Re: second flush questions, need some advice/help in right direction [Re: Kreont]
    #25718102 - 01/02/19 06:02 AM (5 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Kreont said:
Hello there,

My first grow went perfectly fine, now the thing is few mushrooms has fully grown, and others just have started. So the question is should i collect these first and start the second flush? I was doing PFtek method (cakes) but my jars were a bit narrow at the top and cake were not able to leave the jar in one piece, so i have to break them up in pieces. The question is how should i soak them (how much water, and what period of time), having in mind the problem of removing water later, so i can start the new flush?

I hope you can help.
Thanks in advance!
Happy holidays! :smile:

Not going to answer this question in this thread. Look at the post before yours, it's 13+ years old! Start a new thread of your own and I, and others with even more experience, are likely to answer your questions.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate