Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Culinary Arts, Gardening and Brewing

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinelovingwench
green horn

Loc: off the dusty road
soy alert
    #4750296 - 10/03/05 06:34 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

thought some you might like to read this.

http://www.westonaprice.org/soy/index.html

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleGabbaDj
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
Re: soy alert [Re: lovingwench]
    #4751017 - 10/03/05 09:16 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Soy what your saying is that if I keep eating mass amounts of chineese food with soy, My skin will turn yellow, my penis will grow smaller but my brain will get much much smarter... Right?

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG          C8.com                    http://www.beatsopjefiets.com/   

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
    #4751065 - 10/03/05 09:27 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

there's a whole lot of other sites like this, warning about bbq, artificial sweetners, msg, etc, and most of them aren't credible.

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Loc: The Richest County
    #4754367 - 10/04/05 03:17 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

hmmm...could it be the white mans fear of soy? Asian countries (japanese being the biggest) have been consuming soy for thousands of years and they have the longest life expectancy, go figure?? I'd need proven credible medical backing from N.I.H, JAMA or some other government branch to beleive that claim.

--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

Offlinelovingwench
green horn

Re: soy alert [Re: soochi]
    #4755538 - 10/04/05 08:16 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Not that I think you'll actually read this...

Soy Isoflavones: History of Use

In order to prove the GRAS status of soy isoflavones it is critical for ADM to demonstrate that soy isoflavones have enjoyed a long and safe history of use. Hence ADM claim that ?these isoflavone components...have been consumed by millions of humans for over two thousand years'. However, their claim is not based on fact and neither is there any evidence provided to substantiate their claim.

The claim that isoflavones have been consumed for thousands of years has become quite common in isoflavone scientific literature, however it is no more than an assumption and appears based on the general perception that historical soybean consumption was widespread in Asia.

Although soybean products have been consumed in some parts of Asia for many hundreds of years (1) they did not form a significant part of the diet (2). Also, the traditional soybean was quite different to the soybean as we know it today.

Glycine soja, the wild soybean, is found in northern, north-eastern and central China, adjacent areas of the former USSR, Korea, Taiwan and Japan. Glycine soja is the species of soybean that was consumed traditionally and is the ancestor of the modern cultivar, Glycine max (3).

The isoflavone content of Glycine max was first reported about 60 years ago (4) but it is impossible to know with certainty whether Glycine soja contained isoflavones. It is well established that Glycine max is, compositionally, quite different to Glycine soja. For example, Glycine max contains approximately 21.0% oil compared with 9.8% in Glycine soja and Glycine max also contains more protein (3). This is quite expected because Glycine max has been cultivated to have maximised economic potential.

It has also been shown that plants such as that as Glycine max produce phytoestrogens such as the soy isoflavones as a defence mechanism in response to pests (5). Increased disease resistance has been a consistent goal of soybean breeders and it is quite conceivable that this goal has served to increase the levels of isoflavones, and other naturally occurring toxins, in Glycine max.

It is also well established that different cultivars of Glycine max can contain widely variable levels of isoflavones (6). If this is so then it is not implausible that the traditional Asian soybean, Glycine soja, contained quite low levels of isoflavones, or perhaps none at all.

Therefore, a counter argument to the ADM claim of long and safe use could be that isoflavones have entered the human food chain only in relatively recent times. It has been the cultivation of Glycine max coupled with mass production technology and incorporation of soy protein into numerous foods that has resulted in these compounds being almost unavoidable in the human diet. This mass exposure has only occurred in the last 30 years and it is still undetermined whether isoflavones are safe or not.

In summary, ADM cannot show a long and safe history of use because there is no evidence to substantiate their claim ?that isoflavones have been consumed by millions of humans for over two thousand years'.

"Posted here for non-profit, educational purposes only"
http://www.westonaprice.org/soy/dangersisoflavones.html

--------------------

Edited by lovingwench (10/04/05 08:46 PM)

Offlinelovingwench
green horn

#4755647 - 10/04/05 08:44 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I just wanted people to be aware that high counts of soy intake may not be good for them. I like to know what I am putting into my body, as I am sure alot of peole do. And right now soy seems to be whats for dinner.

You might just want to look around at the site I provided a little more. There are quite a few different studies on there.

peace~ :hippie:

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #4757397 - 10/05/05 03:03 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Soy is a lot healthier than a lot of shit we eat
Any negative effects are minimal and highly controversial

I'd be more worried about say... refined sugar.. and caffeine...and fried foods.. and hormone infested meat.. and puss milk... and MSG.. and other preservatives... and blah blah blah..

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Culinary Arts, Gardening and Brewing