Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinekingfish4200
shroom diddy

Bummed out over contams
    #4749996 - 10/03/05 05:36 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Well I knocked up 8 quart jars and 1 LC and lost all 8 jars  :frown:  I don't think it happened during the knocking up. I cleaned the whole bathroom really really clean. Took out anything that moved. I mopped the floor with bleach water sprayed the whole room down with a strong bleach water. So strong I was gaging if I stayed in the room to long. I then brought in my still air glove box. That I cleaned with alcohol. Then I lysoled the whole room down. waited 10 min. went in with a mask,clean long sleeve shirt and clean pants and rubber glovers. did the procedure of knocking up the jars. The last thing I knocked up was my LC which is still good (so far). So it seems that if it was during that process the LC would be contaminated too. since it was the last thing knocked up.
  Now for where I think I might have went wrong. I was using Docs WBS method. It said to use coffee filters to cover the tops of the jars. I used some of the only coffee filters I had. Thay were very old and moist. I used them anyway against my better judgment. I also only used 1 single layer of tyvek on the jar.
  So do you guys think this is where I went wrong too? Here is what I think I will do differently next time.

1. PC jars for 90min's instead of 60
2. use 2 layers of tyvek
3. drill another hole just for the needle instead of going through the              pollyfill
4. use tyvek to cover the jars instead of coffee filters

Well what do you guys think? I hope my LC comes out ok. I want to use that to knock up my next batch. I would really hate to have to order a new syringe. Well any info you guys have for me would be great. Thanks guys  :sad:

--------------------
"The answer is never the answer. What's really interesting is the mystery. If you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking. I've never seen anybody really find the answer-- they think they have, so they stop thinking. But the job is to seek mystery, evoke mystery, plant a garden in which strange plants grow and mysteries bloom. The need for mystery is greater than the need for an answer."

-- Ken Kesey

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinemockeylock
head
 User Gallery

Re: Bummed out over contams [Re: kingfish4200]
    #4750043 - 10/03/05 05:44 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Poly-fil alone works great. Just cover with foil. And PC for 90 min like you said to be sure...

--------------------

OfflineFoley
No added sugar.
 User Gallery

Re: Bummed out over contams [Re: mockeylock]
    #4750091 - 10/03/05 05:51 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I assume since you went to such great measures to be sterile that you also sterilized your inoculation equipment and used distilled water?

--------------------
Foley

There were hard times ahead for the people of planet Ventura,
Staring into the networks of space and time,
Their eyes were open,
But still, they were blind,
I wandered through the weird and lurid landscape of another planet

- Pendulum, Another Planet

Offlinekingfish4200
shroom diddy

Re: Bummed out over contams [Re: Foley]
    #4750115 - 10/03/05 05:55 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I didnt use distilled water. but yes I sterilized my inoculation equipment.

--------------------
"The answer is never the answer. What's really interesting is the mystery. If you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking. I've never seen anybody really find the answer-- they think they have, so they stop thinking. But the job is to seek mystery, evoke mystery, plant a garden in which strange plants grow and mysteries bloom. The need for mystery is greater than the need for an answer."

-- Ken Kesey

OfflineFantasian
Stranger
    #4750211 - 10/03/05 06:15 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I think im gonna use distilled water

Offlinekingfish4200
shroom diddy

Re: Bummed out over contams [Re: Fantasian]
    #4750220 - 10/03/05 06:17 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

use distilled water in what? The soaking of the seed?

--------------------

-- Ken Kesey

OfflineFantasian
Stranger
    #4750221 - 10/03/05 06:17 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

every part...

Offlinekingfish4200
shroom diddy

Re: Bummed out over contams [Re: Fantasian]
    #4750259 - 10/03/05 06:28 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

the only parts where I used water was in soaking the seed and in the PC. The water from is then poured out after soaking then rinsed off then jars reloaded then PCed in about a inch of water. thats all the water used. the pc is going to kill anything from that point. Which if you think its because of the water that i got contaminated. that doesn't explain the LC (still good) it was the last thing knocked up. and not to mention that it was 200cc's of TAP water with 6cc's of karo....and its still fine. so i don't think its because i didn't use distilled water.

--------------------

-- Ken Kesey

Offlinemockeylock
head
 User Gallery

#4750287 - 10/03/05 06:32 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

The water doesn't matter...PC'ing kills all. You used a vendor syringe? Not a homemade one?

--------------------

Offlinemockeylock
head
 User Gallery

#4750302 - 10/03/05 06:35 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Also keep in mind that contams are often invisible in LC. I wouldn't knock up more than one jar until you know it's clean.

--------------------

Offlinekingfish4200
shroom diddy

Re: Bummed out over contams [Re: mockeylock]
    #4750309 - 10/03/05 06:37 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Right. Yes I used a vender syringe. I never thought it was the water. I think it was the old moist coffie filters I used after I knocked the jars up.

--------------------

-- Ken Kesey

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation