Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMFKDGAF
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Midwest
Question about casing
    #4749164 - 10/03/05 12:28 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

alright I'm about to start my casing to day I just want to make sure I am doing this the right way since I've read so man guides on how to do casing. Some say to do it a different way then others.

1. take vermiculite and wet it down so it's moist but not dripping wet and place a 1/2" thick.
2. Take the mycelium and place it on top of the vermiculite weather its crumbled or circled w/ gaps filled in.
3. now this is what I am confused about. Do I take and place it in my green house/fruiting chamber and wait for pin heads to form then cover with 50/50 casing(in this case I'm going to be using jiffy mix because its premixed with verm. peat and lime). Or do I put my 50/50 casing layer over the mycelium and then place in my green house/fruiting chamber. Also the casing layer should be another 1/2" thick.
4.Then I want to mist the casing layer so it is just damp(or do I want it just moist).
5.Then after I pick the product take some 50/50 casing and cover in the gaps.

All the advise possible would help.

Thanx

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineZeroArmy27
I didn't go to work for a month.

Loc: Middle of nowhere
Re: Question about casing [Re: MFKDGAF]
    #4749192 - 10/03/05 12:33 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

. now this is what I am confused about. Do I take and place it in my green house/fruiting chamber and wait for pin heads to form then cover with 50/50 casing(in this case I'm going to be using jiffy mix because its premixed with verm. peat and lime). Or do I put my 50/50 casing layer over the mycelium and then place in my green house/fruiting chamber. Also the casing layer should be another 1/2" thick.

-Case first and place in the fruiting chamber. the casing is there to create a microclimate that's suitable for pin formation.

I wouldn't bottom case. I've had more problems with contamination with bottom casing layers than it's helped so i just say fuck it now. as long as you don't drown your casing layer and lightly mist, you're not going to get water pooling in the bottom of your casing container.

--------------------
"a monkey would fuck you up if you tried to put it in a autoclave" - Psychoslut

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

OfflineMFKDGAF
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Midwest
Re: Question about casing [Re: ZeroArmy27]
    #4749223 - 10/03/05 12:41 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

what do you mean by case first. cuz i thought you either put vermiculite on the bottom or casing 50/50 on the bottom and the the mycelium then the casing 50/50 but do you suggest to put it in the fruiting chamber wait for pin head to form then cover with casing 50/50 or just cover the mycelium with the casing 50/50 and throw in the fruiting chamber

Offlineready2go
Eternal

Loc: Up the street and around ...
Re: Question about casing [Re: MFKDGAF]
    #4749266 - 10/03/05 12:51 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

There is no real need to have any type of casing or vermiculite on the bottom.... some ppl like it because it helps to retain more moisture for the casing.
If your using cakes and casing them, just crumble them...on or with out a base layer your choice...and case the top, no more than 1/4 the depth of the substrate. and no more than 3/4" total.
saturate the top casing mix... not just damp, but you don't want standing water on the surface either.
place it in your FC, keep an eye out for the myc to poke through... if it comes through even your set and await the pinns but if its really spotty you may want to look into patching your casing.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate