Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: The Doors

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineYoschie99
nomad
Male User Gallery

Loc: center of earth
my musical day..
    #4749215 - 10/03/05 02:39 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

so, i decided to go to carnegie hall and check out 'concerto for a turntable'... it featured dj radar as a piece of a live orchestra consisting of college musicians from around the country.
radar opened the show with something he had put together called, 'from scratch'... it consisted of him, two turntables, a sampler, foot pedals and some sort of delay, it seemed. he would set a beat with a record, sample it in... loop it using his foot pedals.. then go to the next record, set in a high or synth line, etc, loop it over the beat w/ the pedals... on and on... pretty dope.

then was a piece composed for the turntable and string section only, fittingly titled, 'exploration for strings and turntable'... a kind of battle between the dj and the strings... no sampling here by the dj, just cuts, scratches, beat juggling, etc. the strings would answer back with their own set of cuts, plucking and tapping strings... a pretty sick display.

two 'remixes' were next... first was an apparent rock-track re-done for the orchestra titled 'doogllasti'. no dj here. a total orchestral display... it was well done and fun. the second was 'the transitive property of equality'... a piece composed of small parts of classical compositions that were only resequenced, no changes were made to notes or key or overall dynamics... it consisted of the full orchestra+piano+sample. this was really, really good in my opinion... i don't know a lot of classical music, but recognized some of it and was definately impressed with the way it was reworked.

the dj came back again for the last two before intermission: 'Largate!' (it's accented and punctuated spanish), another 'battle' type piece with an old Hammond organ from the 60s (think the doors) and the dj. the composer of most of the music played the organ with radar on the decks... they had a cool chemistry together and were a lot of fun to watch.

'Centipede' was the last opening piece... it was a sort of jazzy/bluesy/improv act... comsisting of the dj, organ, and pieces of the orchestra... trumpet, trombone, cello, percussion. this was an awesome piece of music... everything worked pretty much perfectly in this one.

after intermission, the main concerto was performed. it was played in three parts with each part having a short solo period for the dj... and the last part had, i think, 3 short solos.. finishing with a sort of crazy drum-roll, rock-out, scratch-fest. pretty cool overall.

overall... a cool experiment was put on by red bull. it was kind of cool to see a dj reading music and playing with such a large amount of backing. radar is extremely talented and held his own as far as timing and overall sound. the only thing that seemed to lack was the speakers projecting the dj to stand up to the live instruments... when the full orchestra would be playing.. the more open, warm sound completely enveloped the output of the speakers and you would lose the turntable. i was sitting up on the balcony, so i'm sure it would have been a little easier to hear if i was nearer the same level the speakers were on.

--

there was a red-bull sponsered afterparty at spirit called brasil in time. free entry to see JROCC, Cut Chemist, Madlib, and DJ Nuts playing alongside drummers Paul Humphrey, Derf Reklaw, and Joao Parahyba i believe. The drummers were all old-time percussionists from the 60s and on... extremely talented. Reklaw played hand drums, the flute, keys, gourds, used vocal manipulations... amazing. Humphrey played on a standard kit... amazing as well. Parahyba played a washboard, some homemade multi-drum, cow bells, an empty fire extinguisher, gourds, bells, the whistle, a pop gun, vocals with effects, a bull-horn... and i probably missed something... super cool and talented.

I should mention that this is not a rehearsed set. there has been one other performance done in L.A. which was recorded for the dvd... but, it was not entirely the same line-up of people. this time was a one-time deal as well, i believe... two hours of improvised beats.. incredible.

I left a bit early.. but the djs were going to continue performing for a while, i think. and i'm sure it would have been dope.

www.keepintime.com is the site for the info on the dvd and artists from this performance.

i can't imagine anyone with general respect for music and musicians would not have found these two events to be inspiring on some level... i suggest you keep an eye-out for these events if you are near NY, LA or other major metro areas... they seem to just pop up, i found out about both late friday night and they were on sunday.

soo.. i had a damned good day of good music... that's really all...

:smile:

yos-

Edited by Yoschie99 (10/03/05 02:43 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineixitwistedixi
The TwIsTeD One

Re: my musical day.. [Re: Yoschie99]
    #4749228 - 10/03/05 02:42 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Sweet i love music. I aint that good. But i play guitar.

OfflineFL_accciD
Jack's Paranoia
Male

Loc: midwest
Re: my musical day.. [Re: ixitwistedixi]
    #4749281 - 10/03/05 02:56 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

man that sounds fucking amazing!!!!!

i wish i could have beheld it. did you get any pics???

i have just recently fallen for turntablism. cut chemist the fucking man, im not too familiar with radar, but it sounds like he knows what he is about.

you're a lucky sonofabitch

--------------------
- - - T H E E N D - - -

OfflineYoschie99
nomad
Male User Gallery

Loc: center of earth
Re: my musical day.. [Re: FL_accciD]
    #4749847 - 10/03/05 05:06 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

i don't have a camera, so no pictures.. i'm sure i'll see some online, though. i'll post links if i do.

check out madlib, JROCC and DJ Nuts, too... they're all dope... i dig madlib's production work.

qbert, dj shadow, babu, rob swift, dj swamp... all awesome turntablists as well...

yos-

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: The Doors

Community >> The Pub