Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAmsterdamHeavy
Neophyte
Male

Viability of nearly 4 yr old Syringes
    #4744641 - 10/02/05 08:34 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I recently decided to grow again, ordered some fresh syringes the other night. In the process of finding some of my old stuff, I came across 2 UNused syringes this morning, a KS & a PESA. Both had big clumps of spores in em, quick hard shake and they look like they did when they were new. Im gonna knock up a couple jars with them just to see, but I was curious as to what old hands might have to say.
Stored unrefrigerated ina cool dark place for I dunno, Im guessing four years, maybe a little less.

Edited by AmsterdamHeavy (10/02/05 08:35 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblesrgtm1a
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Viability of nearly 4 yr old Syringes [Re: AmsterdamHeavy]
    #4744662 - 10/02/05 08:39 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

hmmm....depends on the room it was kept in....I know if they were refrigerated, they would most likely still be viable, but at room temp for that amount of time is a tough call. Room temps tend to fluctuate though different times of the year.

There is only one way to find out, and you are doing it that way. I hope it does work out for you. The longest I've kept a syringe at room temp was 2 years and it worked fine, so hopefully yours will too.

Best of luck to ya....please update if everything turns out ok.

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Viability of nearly 4 yr old Syringes [Re: AmsterdamHeavy]
    #4744669 - 10/02/05 08:43 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I have syringes in the frig that are over 4 years old...
and they are still viable.

the only way you will know for sure is try inoculating some jars and see if they are still viable.

good luck!~

tc

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Viability of nearly 4 yr old Syringes [Re: Roadkill]
    #4745279 - 10/02/05 01:05 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Let us know how you get on. Mine are all at room temp too. I have seen Rogerrabbit claiming syringes should last longer than prints.

Offlinebox_man_420
Coexist

Re: Viability of nearly 4 yr old Syringes [Re: blackout]
    #4745309 - 10/02/05 01:23 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I buy from Lil Shop Of Spores and, with every purches they send you a flyer telling you how to store your syringes, and how long they will last. It reads: "If your not going to use your spore solution right away, the syringe should be sealed in a zip-lock bag, in the frig or in a cool dark place. Syringes can last as long as 18 months, but slowly degenerate over time. For best results, use within 6 months. Spore sprints can last up to 5 yrs. Just store them out of light in a cool spot." But I've also heard that they can last more than five years. I guess the only way to know is to knock up some jars and see.

Good Luck ;-)

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #4746307 - 10/02/05 06:37 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

blackout said:
Let us know how you get on. Mine are all at room temp too. I have seen Rogerrabbit claiming syringes should last longer than prints.

Not just a claim it's a fact prints dehydrate spores in syringes do not, it just makes mycosense :wink:

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

OfflineShdwstr
FSRCanada
Male

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Viability of nearly 4 yr old Syringes [Re: hyphae]
    #4746416 - 10/02/05 07:01 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I want to know who here has used a 20 yr old syringe successfully!

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4748313 - 10/03/05 05:55 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

hyphae said:
Not just a claim it's a fact prints dehydrate spores in syringes do not, it just makes mycosense :wink:

It does make sense, but he (and now you) are the only people I have ever seen who claimed it would last longer. Most FAQs and websites invariably say prints last longer.
It may possibly be the fact that some % spores will degenerate over time and if people have very light syringes there may be less of a chance of them surviving, i.e. low rate of viable spores per 1/4cc.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #4748335 - 10/03/05 06:28 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Old prints will hydrate somewhat once introduced to water and because of the overall mass of the sporeload chances are good for germination but they do need quite awhile to hydrate and many people don't wait long enough. With syringes the spores are left hydrated and should remain viable for many years. Remember one can only use a small portion of the print to equal the spore count of a syringe or the comparision will not be a controlled study. I'll be back in about twenty years and let ya know how my side by side goes :wink:

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #4748432 - 10/03/05 07:57 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

hyphae said:

Remember one can only use a small portion of the print to equal the spore count of a syringe or the comparision will not be a controlled study.

I'll be back in about twenty years and let ya know how my side by side goes :wink:

:grin:

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

OfflineShdwstr
FSRCanada
Male

Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #4748518 - 10/03/05 08:44 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Your absolutely right about the re-hydration. Most people don't wait long enough.
My oldest viable print was 22 yrs old. Rehydrated for 24 hrs... nothing. Rehydrated 72 hrs... nothing.
Rehydrated for 7 days... Bingo!!! Worked like a fresh print.
I have a print that will be 30 yrs. old in a few months... my next experiment :smile:

I can't dispute Rogers syringe theory, but I haven't proved that one... my oldest viable spore syringe was 5 yrs., oldest culture syringe... 3 yrs. All (prints & syringes) were stored without refrigeration.

So whether prints or syringes... everyone has plenty of time.

"I'll be back in about twenty years and let ya know how my side by side goes"
I'm hoping I'll still be around for your findings :cool:

Shdwstr

OfflineAmsterdamHeavy
Neophyte
Male

Re: Viability of nearly 4 yr old Syringes [Re: Shdwstr]
    #4770696 - 10/07/05 08:20 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Just thought I'd take a sec to update:

On Monday morning I noc'd up 3 half pints of WBS(soaked for 24) with the KS and 2 with the Amazons - four and a half days later the Amazons are showing no growth (I know its only four days). But the Koh Samui jars have taken off! One of them showed a small spot of growth after 36 hours. When I got home tonight (been away) the jars were completely covered (lightly of course) and it took a bit of vicious shaking to loosen them up, and there were still chunks I couldn't loosen.

I used a whole syringe in each set, overkill, but I had nothing to lose so...

I'll update again if the other jars start showing some growth.

Syringes came from Lil Shop in 2001.

Edited by AmsterdamHeavy (10/07/05 08:21 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale