Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Looking to get a new car - what are the hidden costs when buying?
    #4746851 - 10/02/05 11:05 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I'm not talking about those stupid fees dealers put on afterwards, I'm talking about stuff you have to pay. Like tax, registration, and so forth. How much does each of them cost? I'm guessing tax is whatever sales tax is in that state? How much is registration when purchasing a used car?

I'm trying to strech my budget and make sure I don't negelect the hidden costs.

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleBanez
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Looking to get a new car - what are the hidden costs when buying? [Re: Twirling]
    #4746867 - 10/02/05 11:07 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

i mean i just got my car reccently.. it was used .. tags, title, registration and everything cost me like 150$.. and tax depends on the price of the car and the state, like u said

--------------------
Banez' PF Tek For Beginners

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Re: Looking to get a new car - what are the hidden costs when buying? [Re: Banez]
    #4746962 - 10/02/05 11:25 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks, that's very reasonable. I might be able to afford the car I'm looking for, a Mazda 3, perhaps even brand new!

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: Looking to get a new car - what are the hidden costs when buying? [Re: Twirling]
    #4747223 - 10/03/05 12:20 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

While there are advantages to buying a brand new car, financial advantage isn't one of them.

Numerous studies have shown the least expensive way to do it is to buy a well-maintained three year old car, keep it for three or four more years, sell it and repeat the process. Cars that are just off lease are usually a good bet.

Actually, to save the MOST possible money, buy a three year old car and keep it till you run it into the ground. It's not that hard to get ten more years out of one if you don't live in an area where they salt the roads in winter. The problem with this strategy is that the last couple of years of the cycle can be a bit of a pain in the butt -- you're bored as hell with the beast by then and tired of fixing it up.

Phred

--------------------

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Re: Looking to get a new car - what are the hidden costs when buying? [Re: Phred]
    #4748271 - 10/03/05 07:08 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

The car I'm looking to get, a Mazda 3, only goes back to 2004. Oddly enough, almost all the used Mazda 3's I've seen are actually more expensive than the year end-clearance priced one I have my eye on. The question is whether I can get them to come down $1,000 on the asking price, after what ever discount they already are factoring in the price.

I'm going to first try for $1,500 off, but $1,000 is my limit, so if they don't go for that, it won't be possible. All depends on how much they've discount the price already.

--------------------

OfflineThe14thWarrior
The Shootist

#4748282 - 10/03/05 07:23 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Buy a new-ish civic and run it until it explodes :smile:

--------------------

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
    #4748306 - 10/03/05 07:45 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Twirling said:
The car I'm looking to get, a Mazda 3, only goes back to 2004. Oddly enough, almost all the used Mazda 3's I've seen are actually more expensive than the year end-clearance priced one I have my eye on. The question is whether I can get them to come down $1,000 on the asking price, after what ever discount they already are factoring in the price.

I'm going to first try for $1,500 off, but $1,000 is my limit, so if they don't go for that, it won't be possible. All depends on how much they've discount the price already.

the moment you buy a new car and drive it off the lot, you loos about $5000 in value, it's fucked but it's true, some oe the fees you can expect are
destination charge, transpoert (same as the other but sometimes an add on)
dealer prep and beware the insurance scam, often times they'll 'help' you get
the car insured and you can make payments along with your car payment, you'll
be insured for no more than one year and paying the premium for the loan
duration.

buying a used car, thats an easy one, when you trade in a car that has been financed, they tack the payments of the trade in they claim to be paying off
on the back end of your loan so you're still paying for the trade in while
they are allowed to sell it to another and rcieve payments from that sale
when negotiating on one tat's a one or 2 years old, keep it in minsd because it
gives you a great deal of leeway in the pricing, I payed $10000 for a 1 year old
trade in that they wanted $18,000 for because I know the auto sales game

OfflineNignugnot
Funkphiler
Loc: Northwest Ar
Re: Looking to get a new car - what are the hidden costs when buying? [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #4748333 - 10/03/05 08:24 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Hey maign don't get fucked with the warrienty.

--------------------
I'm an asymtope, neva gonna catch me!

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Re: Looking to get a new car - what are the hidden costs when buying? [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #4748388 - 10/03/05 09:23 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
the moment you buy a new car and drive it off the lot, you loos about $5000 in value, it's fucked but it's true, some oe the fees you can expect are
destination charge, transpoert

It's true of new & used, although it's less extreme with used cars for the most part. The odd thing, like I said, is that a new Mazda 3 isn't more than a used one, which is very strange. I'm not really too worried about deprication though, since I plan on driving this one for a long time (and hopefully it will last that long).

The different charges are always a killer. Aside from destination, most of them are negotiable and possible for them to take off. The trick is A) making sure that they take them off, and B) being ready to walk if they refuse to.

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
I payed $10000 for a 1 year old
trade in that they wanted $18,000 for because I know the auto sales game

Damn, $8,000 off the asking price?! That's hard to believe. Did you get it at auction? I know dealerships usually get better prices on trade-ins & auctions, but $8k is pretty extreme. I'm not saying that I doubt you, but I've never heard of that much of a discount.

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

#4748425 - 10/03/05 09:53 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Just got off the phone with them, they can't go below the asking price because it's discounted deeply already. Normally that's BS, but this seems legit, as they let me go pretty easily. That and they didn't charge destination, so I'm assuming that's in the price of the car.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #4748491 - 10/03/05 10:33 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

This is a case where you might actually do pretty well buying a new car, then. Due to the vagaries of inventory management for new car dealers, there are the occasional times where you will find a particular dealer giving what appears to be a stupidly low price on a particular car. Such situations aren't as common as they used to be many years ago when interest rates were higher and dealers weren't as good at inventory control as they are now, but they DO sometimes happen.

There are several reasons this particular car might be discounted so heavily --

-- it may have been a special order with a not really popular color and an odd option package where the buyer flaked out at the last minute

-- it may have been sitting on the lot for over four months

-- the dealer may be caught in a bit of a cash flow crunch

The Mazda 3 has gotten some pretty good reviews from people I respect. If you can snaffle a brand new one for the price of a used one, I say go for it. Full warrantee is nothing to sneeze at.

Phred

--------------------

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ohio
Re: Looking to get a new car - what are the hidden costs when buying? [Re: Phred]
    #4748502 - 10/03/05 10:36 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

i got a year end 05 cavalier brand new for under 10g.

Had to play a few games with the dealers, but you can get the price way down under employee price.

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
    #4755270 - 10/04/05 06:52 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Twirling said:
Just got off the phone with them, they can't go below the asking price because it's discounted deeply already. Normally that's BS, but this seems legit, as they let me go pretty easily. That and they didn't charge destination, so I'm assuming that's in the price of the car.

what year car and whats the asking price, I've had a couple lots try the same shit
with me, it's easier to hit up the next lotthat has what you're looking for.
never believe employee pricing, deep discounts or $X over invoice sales shit

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> The Pub