Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinechris92346
Stranger
flushes...
    #4745761 - 10/02/05 04:04 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I was wondering... why is it necessary to harvest mushrooms in flushes? Why can't you just harvest each mushroom as it matures? I actually haven't read anywhere why this is necessary.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineswiftrance
Let there be light

Re: flushes... [Re: chris92346]
    #4745780 - 10/02/05 04:12 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

good question! i could probably bs an answer, but im interested in seeing a veteran tackle this one.

--------------------

OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Trusted Cultivator
    #4745817 - 10/02/05 04:23 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I'm thinking part of the reason might be contamination control related. It's good to harvest them all, clean the casing or cake by removing all aborts and left behind pieces of harvested mushrooms. Believe me, they will start to rot, rather quickly, and start growing their own "special" looking mycelium,lol..

If you left all these things on your casing as you waited for it to run out of nutes, you might get contaminated before that happens.

Also, if you do it in flushes, you can dunk to replace the moisture for more fruits, between flushes.

Peace,Love,Happiness and Harmony.
:heart: Hippie Chick  :mushroom2:

Offlinegratefulgere
Master of Appearance

#4746419 - 10/02/05 07:01 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I thought it messed up the mycelium network and the mushrooms stop maturing. But I'm probably wrong.

--------------------
Encourage Critical Thinking

Offlinewillmafingerdo
the noob
Male User Gallery

Re: flushes... [Re: gratefulgere]
    #4746745 - 10/02/05 08:34 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

if you have a nice even pinset then they will all basicly be ready to pick at the same time anyway.. so if your gonna pick 90% why not just grab the other 10% off anyway..  and i have tried leaving some of the bigger underdeveloped mushrooms go.. and they dont finish, end up aborting.. but im in no way a pro thats just :2cents:.

--------------------
:scaryshroom: :shitstorm: :mattz: :bongload: :gethigh: :scaryshroom:

I am not lost.. i am going there looking for it.. and when i get there and find it, i will know what it is..

"The way to stop violence is not to go out and let your head be beaten in but to say, you want to take my life risk yours!"

"are you sure u want to eat all them shrooms??"  "yes i want to hear what my mind has to say..."

remember opions are like assholes, everyone has one and they all stink.

OfflineCLUTCH
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#4747066 - 10/02/05 09:46 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

also...because my dehydrator would be running for a almost a week instead of 24-36 hours.

Offlineready2go
Eternal

Loc: Up the street and around ...
Re: flushes... [Re: gratefulgere]
    #4749332 - 10/03/05 01:09 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

gratefulgere said:
I thought it messed up the mycelium network and the mushrooms stop maturing. But I'm probably wrong.

That's a good point I've noticed if i pull all the big ones then the smaller one tend to stop growing and abort.
I have noticed that if i just cut the majority of the shroom off, but leave a good 1"base, the other shrooms continue to grow normal.

--------------------

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: flushes... [Re: ready2go]
    #4749769 - 10/03/05 02:49 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

ready2go said:
Quote:

gratefulgere said:

That's a good point I've noticed if i pull all the big ones then the smaller one tend to stop growing and abort.
I have noticed that if i just cut the majority of the shroom off, but leave a good 1"base, the other shrooms continue to grow normal.

Bingo, that is exactly why you do it in flushes. Also the point that hippy chick pointed out about dunking and what not, sterility, Handling the casing or cake one time and then waiting for the next harvest. Cutting them is a good alternative if you are not getting decent pin sets yet. But even then i prefer to harvest all at once. What energy and nutrients don't go into the mushrooms that were developing will just go into the next flush.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract