Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinelovingwench
green horn

Loc: off the dusty road
naked lunch anyone?
    #4746002 - 10/02/05 05:20 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

David Cronenberg does an excellent job in bringing William S. Burroughs hallucinatory novel to film. I don't think anyone could have done it any better, well except maybe David Lynch.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFleaAccela
Hip-HopEncyclopedia

Re: naked lunch anyone? [Re: lovingwench]
    #4764622 - 10/06/05 03:35 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

i hate david lynch with a passion. elephant man and blue velvet are tight, but everything else is just garbage. he could literally take a shit in a film canister and people would jump out thier shoes and socks about how it's one of the best movies ever.

cronenberg, on the other hand, is an underrated genius. naked lunch is a monster. videodrome is unstopable. scanners is well wicked.

--------------------
:royalrainbow:I love rolling... my Katamari!!!:royalrainbow:

OfflineAnisotropic
Stranger
    #4764712 - 10/06/05 03:52 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I couldn't figure Naked Lunch out, till I looked up more about the guy that wrote it. I can't remember the name of the over the counter drug he would take off hand. But I remember that it included the active ingredient in datura, and an opiate.

Having eaten datura in excess of 10 times or so, I now know a little of what his universe must have been like...

I wouldn't suggest anyone trying datura. It basically makes you life as random as the movie (Seriously).

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: naked lunch anyone? [Re: Anisotropic]
    #4764946 - 10/06/05 04:45 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

"I can't remember the name of the over the counter drug he would take off hand. But I remember that it included the active ingredient in datura, and an opiate."

Burroughs is one of my all time favorite writers.

Burroughs was a pretty calm and rational guy. He was addicted to opiates for much of his life. Morphine was the one drug he took regularly, you're probably thinking of some scopolamine containing drug. Scopolamine was used as an antichlorigenic. This is not unlike dyphenhydramine, or Benadryl, which has the same psychosis inducing effects that datura does... but only in extreme doses. If Burroughs experimented with such a drug, he certainly didn't do it habitually. His odd writing comes from a lot of things other than drugs.

He did experiment with many drugs, but I don't think that's what made him a weird writer. I know lots of people with bizarre creativity who don't touch drugs, and I know lots of people who devour drugs and have no signigicant imagination.

If you've ever read On the Road, the character "Old Bull Lee" is Burroughs. Hardly a raving lunatic on datura.

Naked Lunch wasn't written normally. Burroughs would write constantly while he lived in tangiers, sometimes free association poetry, sometimes stream of conciousness, slightly nonsensical prose, and sometimes fairly straight forward accounts of events in his life or fiction.

Then he'd slice it all up, and reassemble it in new ways, to create entirely new works. This was how he wrote Naked Lunch, The Soft Machine, and Nova Express, and in varying degrees in his other novels.

He also wrote various straight forward prose about various things, the most famous example probably being Junky.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Invisibleit stars saddam
Satan

Loc: Spahn Ranch
    #4767729 - 10/07/05 06:55 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I've been really getting into Cronenberg lately. So far I've seen Naked Lunch, Videodrome, History of Violence, Shivers, Spider, and I watched Crash last night, all of which are excellent. Last night I drove around to a few different video stores in my area looking for The Fly and couldn't find it anywhere. I may just have to order the DVD.

William Burroughs is also one of my favorite authors, and probably the most intelligent figure from the beat generation. I recommend downloading some of his lectures from archive.org.

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4772894 - 10/08/05 12:52 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

i never ended up finishing naked lunch, the book, because it was so incoherent. at least to me it was sort of difficult to follow. however, im a big fan of burroughs' works and i've read quite a few of his books. never saw the movie version of naked lunch though.

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

Invisiblemecreateme
YoUisMEEMsiUoY
Male User Gallery

Loc: Memphrica
Re: naked lunch anyone? [Re: Locus]
    #4773235 - 10/08/05 03:03 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Great flick!

Burroughs was by far the man from the beat generation, IMO. Either him or Allen Ginsberg, but poets never get enough credit, nuff said.

In other people's memoirs about that time period that Naked Lunch was written, I have heard that Burroughs was experimenting with at least hash or some marijuana as well. In addition to his regular routine... :tongue:
Robert Anton Wilson says in some books how he thinks pot contributes to this cut up style, or rather that the style seems to mimick pot effects, and I hafta agree. :thumbup:

--------------------
No ONE wants to know the ultimate TRUTH, as soon as YOU find IT out, YOU want to forget IT.

You are everything's way of feeling itself.

Happy Schwag, everygodly!

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: naked lunch anyone? [Re: mecreateme]
    #4776627 - 10/09/05 11:03 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

eh, i dont think he did too much weed or hash though. i know he did try it a few times, but i doubt he did it too often. we all know he was hooked on opiates so that was his main squeeze, but as far as his mind and the question of drugs contributing to the writing of naked lunch i would have to say it's not the drugs. i think it's just the way burroughs mind works, at least for the most part.

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

Invisibleit stars saddam
Satan

Loc: Spahn Ranch
    #4777211 - 10/09/05 01:40 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Burroughs spent years searching through the jungles of South America searching for yage (ayahuasca) before it was as commonly known as it is today. He was under the impression that yage could induce telepathy. Several letters between him and Ginsberg during the time in which he was searching for the yage can be found in a book aptly titled, The Yage Letters.

Invisiblemecreateme
YoUisMEEMsiUoY
Male User Gallery

Loc: Memphrica
    #4786812 - 10/11/05 10:33 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Key word, "experimented."

The part about cut up style is true at least from a Robert Anton Wilson-tunnel.

As it seems to me he was in Tangiers when writing Naked Lunch and therefore had access to a bunch of hash. I think he got into it thoroughly. I do know in High Priest by Timothy Leary, it is mentioned about Burroughs in Europe using marijuana/hashish to help in his writing of Naked Lunch.

I agree that Burroughs mind was just skewed but I was mainly refering to style rather than content.

--------------------
No ONE wants to know the ultimate TRUTH, as soon as YOU find IT out, YOU want to forget IT.

You are everything's way of feeling itself.

Happy Schwag, everygodly!

OfflineFleaAccela
Hip-HopEncyclopedia

Re: naked lunch anyone? [Re: it stars saddam]
    #4787193 - 10/11/05 12:26 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

itstarssaddam said:
Burroughs spent years searching through the jungles of South America searching for yage (ayahuasca) before it was as commonly known as it is today. He was under the impression that yage could induce telepathy. Several letters between him and Ginsberg during the time in which he was searching for the yage can be found in a book aptly titled, The Yage Letters.

isn't that from the end of his book "junkie" when he finally 'kicks'.

ive definately read it somewhere in that book, seeing as it is the only book by him i've read.

that's a fucking great read, one of the best i've ever read. i'd highly recommend it. it can be read in 2 days or less. very easy, smooth flowing and VERY specific with describing all the slang he uses (which is absolutely essential).

--------------------
:royalrainbow:I love rolling... my Katamari!!!:royalrainbow:

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: naked lunch anyone? [Re: FleaAccela]
    #4787422 - 10/11/05 01:29 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

He talks about it at the end of Junky, but The Yage Letters is about his search for yage (I'm not sure it was years he was there looking for it, more like a few months, but I didn't read all of The Yage Letters, just kinda speed-read through it at the library in a couple hours)

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

OfflineHuckleBones
Danger Bones

Re: naked lunch anyone? [Re: Phluck]
    #4812722 - 10/16/05 08:20 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

It wasn't the drugs, it was the opiate withdrawl that influenced his writing a bit, but mostly it was his personality.

He shot his wife in front of his son during a game of William Tell. (Burroughs was trying to shoot an apple off of her head, he missed.)

--------------------
Manitou

OfflineUnity333
addict
 User Gallery

Re: naked lunch anyone? [Re: HuckleBones]
    #4813434 - 10/16/05 10:13 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Ok as an artists I am saying that picture scared me... umm wow. I felt, so it is something .. but still scarry

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder