Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> The Great Outdoors

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineToTheSummit
peregrinus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Las Vegas
Day Pack
    #4745647 - 10/02/05 05:22 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I recently got thinking about the fact that I have spent years struggling to carry gear with me on day hikes. I put water bottle holders on my belt, I carry a camera bag over my shoulder or sometimes just carry the camera loose (a good way to beat up your camera gear). I'd stick power bars into the deep pockets on my shorts. And sometimes I might throw my stuff in a ratty old knapsack that would become very uncomfortable after a couple hours. So I finally said to myself "Hey you idiot...go buy a fucking decent day pack!!"

After spending a couple hours trying on day packs, loading them up with weight, and marching around the store playing with the adjustments, I finally settled on this one...
The North Face 'Jester'

It is a simple yet versatile day pack. Handy water bottle holders carry two 1-liter nalgene bottles. The 1850 cu in of space allows me to carry all my camera gear and have plenty of room for some food, warm gear in winter, extra water or a water filter, and an emergency survival kit. And with the added bungee strap system on the back I could even use this as an overnight pack if I wanted to travel light. However, I doubt I will use it for that, I bought this strictly for day hikes.

The strap system is very basic but I was very suprised how comfortable it was. The shoulder harness fits well and I was suprised to find that the simple, removable waist belt actually carrys weight without digging in and causing discomfort. And the padded back panel is flexible yet sturdy enough that if you carry bulky, pointed object in the pack they won't dig in to your back.

The small flap opens on the back to reveal a handy organizer pocket. A good spot to keep your emergency kit if you like as well as pen/pencils and a notepad, your wallet/IDs, and a key clip so you wont drop them while going through your things on the trail.

All in all I am very happy with this pack. I would reccomend it to anyone looking for a good day pack in this price range (about $50 retail, or less if you shop it out). There were a few nicer options if you want to spend a bit more but for the money this was the best/simplest/most comfortable day pack I found.

Any other reccomendations out there? Not that I need them now but I'd like to see what others are using and why.

--------------------
You invented the wheel....You push the motherfucker!!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineToTheSummit
peregrinus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Las Vegas
Re: Day Pack [Re: ToTheSummit]
    #4745665 - 10/02/05 05:28 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

After re-reading that post I realized how much it sounds like an advertisement.  Don't people get paid good money to write shit like that! :grin:

--------------------
You invented the wheel....You push the motherfucker!!

OfflineoDin
Re: Day Pack [Re: ToTheSummit]
    #4746974 - 10/02/05 11:28 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

sexy pack

i have a REI alpine daypack and love the shit out of it

apparently they dont make them anymore

anyway here is a pick

http://products.consumerguide.com/media/frontend/productImages/0/4/00000105104-REIAlpine-large.jpeg

i like this one cuz it expands to big enough for winter dayhikes when u have take extra warm things, food and survival items etc. but will still compact to a smaller pack also. the key things to have imo are a big main area, few decent size side pockets and some secure poctets for keys etc.

i love this forum

Offlinekindkesey
take it further
 User Gallery

Loc: on the bus!!!
Re: Day Pack [Re: oDin]
    #4755665 - 10/04/05 08:48 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah.... you sure would be a good sales man at REI!

Very nice review, i like the pack too! I've been buying NF for over ten years and i must say i've been happy with every NF product i own!! My day pack would just happen to be a NF pack to, its the Megamouth hydro day pack! I think its 1100 or 1200 ci I can fit every thing for a simple day hike in it plus its got a insolated 100-ounce nalgene water bladder, side pockets for two more nalgan bottles, nice little external pocket for my i pod, and nice straps from my axe and treakin poles. The only down fall was it cost 100 bucks!

:smile:

--------------------
Stay Kool, and enjoy the bus ride.....

"Intrepid Search For Innerspace"

DAVID JONES where are you?

Offlinekindkesey
take it further
 User Gallery

Loc: on the bus!!!
Re: Day Pack [Re: oDin]
    #4755734 - 10/04/05 09:04 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

oDin said:
i love this forum

me too!!

:heart:

--------------------
Stay Kool, and enjoy the bus ride.....

"Intrepid Search For Innerspace"

DAVID JONES where are you?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> The Great Outdoors