Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblezee_werp
a fractalcreature
 User Gallery

Loc: Aotearoa
Installed SP2 and my internet got slower!
    #4742170 - 10/01/05 09:05 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Hi peoples...
Just wondering if anyone can help me out here maybe.
I recently installed Service Pack 2 for Windows XP. Not only did it not increase my computers performance or help anything noticeably at all...but my internet got slower!!!

I am using dialup. Used to get connected at 50.0-53.5 kbps every time...now its always just at 31.2 kbps. What gives? Anyone got some pointers on how I can fix it?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

Loc: Appearing at a mall near ...
Re: Installed SP2 and my internet got slower! [Re: zee_werp]
    #4748891 - 10/03/05 01:05 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

SP2 turns on windows firewall by default. You can try changing it's settings, or disabling it totally. Be aware, that if you disable it, the next time you make any changes to an internet connection or add a new connection, windows will re-enable it without asking.

For instructions on how to permanently remove the piece of shit, click here.

--------------------
Money doesn't grow on trees, but deficits do grow under Bushes.

You can accept, reject, or examine and test any new idea that comes to you. The wise man chooses the third way.
- Tom Willhite

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinions should I become aware of additional facts, the falsification of information or different perspectives. Articles written by others which I post may not necessarily reflect my opinions in part or in whole, my opinions may be in direct opposition, the topic may be one on which I have yet to formulate an opinion or have doubts about, an article may be posted solely with the intent to stimulate discussion or contemplation.

Offlinedrtyfrnk
PresidentialCandidate 2008
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Installed SP2 and my internet got slower! [Re: Prosgeopax]
    #4749594 - 10/03/05 04:12 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Prosgeopax said:
For instructions on how to permanently remove the piece of shit,  click here.

:rotfl:

It's funny 'cause it's true...

--------------------
It's Krang, Bitch!  :krang:

OfflineKungFu_Shaman
naive and lovingit

Loc: noitacaol cihpargoeg
Re: Installed SP2 and my internet got slower! [Re: drtyfrnk]
    #4788533 - 10/11/05 08:37 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

yeah, SP2 is a blessing and a curse

--------------------
Feel the wrath of Skeletor's breakfast burrito!

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
Re: Installed SP2 and my internet got slower! [Re: KungFu_Shaman]
    #4788728 - 10/11/05 09:23 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Ain't no part of SP2 that is a blessing. What? It makes you immune to a few less viruses out of the thousands that still work? Mac and Linux are virus free and secure...why go elsewhere?

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

InvisibleVoidOfsPg
Stranger
Female User Gallery
Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: Installed SP2 and my internet got slower! [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4789291 - 10/11/05 11:00 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Huehuecoyotl said:
Ain't no part of SP2 that is a blessing. What? It makes you immune to a few less viruses out of the thousands that still work? Mac and Linux are virus free and secure...why go elsewhere?

hehe That's incorrect. There are numerous amounts of viruses for Linux and Mac OS. I read something in the news a while back about a major Linux virus that was going around.  :rolleyes:

InvisibleVoidOfsPg
Stranger
Female User Gallery
Re: Installed SP2 and my internet got slower! [Re: VoidOfsPg]
    #4789297 - 10/11/05 11:01 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

But the point you are trying to get a cross is true. There are way less viruses for Linux and Mac OS compared to Windows.

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#4789375 - 10/11/05 11:16 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

yes, there are viruses for linux (not many actually), but in linux you must grant permission for changes to your system with root password, while in windows the viruses would just take over your machine after the initial infection. these viruses cannot possibly infect anywhere near the amount that they would on windows boxes. they are not even a threat, really.

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

Re: Installed SP2 and my internet got slower! [Re: zee_werp]
    #4789389 - 10/11/05 11:18 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

see: http://forums.slsknet.org/ipb/index.php?showtopic=353

Quote:

Windows XP Service Pack 2 places a very low limit on how many tcp connections can be open at one time. This was done to cut down on the spread of internet worms. However this also severely limits and can cause major problems with network applications such as Soulseek.

In order to rectify this problem you will need to run a small program that will allow you to change the connection limit to a higher number. It is available at http://mitglied.lycos.de/lvllord/download-mirror.htm .

Run this program and increase the maximum number of connections from 10. A maximum setting of 1024 connections might be a good place to start but you may need to go even higher to get the best performance from slsk.

Personally I have mine set to 65536 as I am diligent about security and behind a good firewall and thus feel relatively safe from internet worms. Your mileage may vary.

Be careful when you run this patch! It changes important system settings and if done incorrectly could cause you problems.

maybe this will help.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #4790446 - 10/12/05 01:21 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

The only Linux virus thats ever been circulated was a virus to infect linux email servers so that the Windows emails going through it would be damaged. It had no effect on the function of the server beyond this. The construction of Linux makes the creation of virus' pointless...do your home work. I am a support tech and I know my business.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

InvisibleVoidOfsPg
Stranger
Female User Gallery
Re: Installed SP2 and my internet got slower! [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4793033 - 10/12/05 03:43 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Well, I guess the support tech needs to do his research. If he did, he'd realize that there has been more than 1 virus for the Linux OS circulated.

http://www.viruslibrary.com/virusinfo/Linux.htm

Conversely, you are pretty much correct about the infrastructure of Linux making the creation of viruses "pointless"... although not entirely pointless. ;-)

Here's a quote you might find a bit interesting which proves my point as well as yours:

Slapper, one of the best known worms for Linux, is three years old tomorrow. It caused an outbreak back in 2002. This anniversary started me thinking about Linux malware:

Before Slapper, Linux viruses had been around for a while. Bliss, a virus which appeared in 1997, was the first to demonstrate that Linux was vulnerable to viruses. And once Bliss opened the door, other types of malware followed.

Many Linux viruses infect ELF [Executable and Linkable Format] files, the most common Linux file type. However, this is not the only technique. Some viruses use Unix shell scripts which are supported by most Linux distributions. These are powerful and easy to write. The Ramen worm, for example, uses known system exploits to gain root access to vulnerable Linux servers and then employs ELF binaries and shell scripts to find other servers to infect.

The number of Linux threats has increased slowly. But they have grown more sophisticated. Multi.Etapux, for example, is a complex polymorphic virus which uses entry-point obfuscation to evade detection. It is also able to infect Windows 32 PE files as well as Linux ELF files. There are also Linux threats which exploit system vulnerabilities in order to attack. The Slapper worm, for example, utilizes a known vulnerability in the Open SSL library to infect Apache web servers. And the Adore worm uses a random port scan to identify systems that have a root access vulnerability in the BIND.DNS service on Linux servers.

Linux virus writers (and all other Unix flavours) face quite a few difficulties. For example, to modify ELF binaries, it's necessary to have root administration rights. And there may be specific dependencies related to specific Linux versions, making it hard for a virus writer to create a single virus for all implementations of Linux. But such obstacles can be overcome. The use of scripts, for example, makes a virus or worm less dependent on a specific Linux distribution. One of the early Linux viruses, Staog, uses a vulnerability to get root access to the system. Slapper uploads itself as a uuencoded source file. It then decodes and compiles the source into an ELF binary, re-compiling itself using a local copy of the 'C' compiler.

So why hasn't there been more malicious code for Linux? The dominance of Windows, particularly as a desktop operating system, is the key reason. Malware authors want the biggest possible bang for their buck so they target the operating system that is most widely used. Linux simply isn't widespread enough to be a serious target - at the moment.

That said, the use of Linux as an operating system is increasing, partly due to the popularity of Linux distributions such as RedHat and SuSE. Currently there are 712 pieces of malware that target Linux. This number will almost certainly increase as the popularity of Linux itself increases.

And one other thing to consider - more and more organizations are starting to use Linux alongside Windows, with a Linux file-server storing Windows applications. These files can be infected at desktop level, with infected files then being stored on the server. Organizations must therefore accept the necessity of scanning the Linux server to protect against malicious code attacks.

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#4795708 - 10/13/05 12:04 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

...and despite all of this, linux is vastly more secure than windows.

Offlinedrtyfrnk
PresidentialCandidate 2008
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Installed SP2 and my internet got slower! [Re: Vvellum]
    #4799173 - 10/13/05 05:20 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

bi0 said:
...and despite all of this, Windows still sucks my left nut.

--------------------
It's Krang, Bitch!  :krang:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology