Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesoredog
Stranger
Complete loss of potency
    #4740366 - 10/01/05 08:42 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

sorry if this is in the wrong forum...I grew P. Cubensis and they were awesome everytime for months. I dried them completely using calcium sulphate and then stored them in plastic bags. Everything was going well with this method until one day everything just lost all potency...I could eat an ounce and get nothing whereas before 1 gram would do it. There was one day where we had a heat wave and the temperature reached 90 deg. F (I should have stored them in the fridge)...could this have affected the potency that much? Also I'm wondering if I didn't "over-dry" them as I kept a small amount of the calcium sulphate in the bags after they had dried. I tried re-hydrating them but no luck. Please someone tell me that I don't have to throw out this bag of goodies.-Thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinecanadarocks
Stranger
Re: Complete loss of potency [Re: soredog]
    #4740374 - 10/01/05 08:47 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I can't add much for a reply except to say that rehydrating would not do anything to "recover" the potency. If for some reason via temperature or time the active psilocybin was broken down, it's gone.

It isn't possible to over-dry them either as far as I know.

Offlinesoredog
Stranger
Re: Complete loss of potency [Re: canadarocks]
    #4740397 - 10/01/05 09:00 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks Canadarocks...although not the answer I was hoping for :-(

Invisiblesrgtm1a
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #4740423 - 10/01/05 09:10 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

There could be a LOT of reasons as to why there is potency loss. Could have something to do with your sub, the use of desiccants, drying heat...etc...etc.

I personally don't like the use of desiccants because that can happen sometimes. Just airdry with a fan over the mushrooms....leave the fan on constantly and they should dry out 100% in only a couple of days.

Sometimes though.....it just happens....for no apparent reason, the mushies are just not potent. I have had that happen to me once. I didn't change anything about the normal way I grew, but the mushrooms just sucked. I have heard this a lot from people growing B+.

But yeah, re hydrating them isn't going to do anything for you.

If you are doing everything exactly the same way as you did when you got potent mushies, then it could just be one of those things.

Invisiblebackupwards
peon

Loc: somewhere else
    #4740424 - 10/01/05 09:10 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

but the only logical answer....

are these from the same batch as the 1g doses?

:peace:

InvisibleShnezbit
Psycho-naught
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Threshold.
    #4740428 - 10/01/05 09:11 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

how did you store them? it's best to store them in glass jars imho. and coffee ground stuffed in the jar is even better.
if you merely had them in a plastic bag in your closet than probably the air diluted the potency over time.

Invisiblebackupwards
peon

Re: Complete loss of potency [Re: Shnezbit]
    #4740437 - 10/01/05 09:15 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

say what? and just what does the coffee grounds do for ya except maybe make your shrooms taste like coffee?
sealed in jars sure, plastic bags in the closet will work too. just don't have them left out in the light.

Offlinesoredog
Stranger
Re: Complete loss of potency [Re: backupwards]
    #4740458 - 10/01/05 09:27 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

They were the same mushrooms from start to finish...I just kept adding bags as the new ones arrived. We were still dipping into the first batches the week before and were getting whacked and then the next week neither the first batches or the last batches were any good at all (the last batches were harvested only weeks beforehand). I picked them, air dried in dark with cool fan, placed in desiccant chamber (placed in a dark closet) using calcium sulphate, then placed in brown paper bag which was double-bagged in zip-locks containing a small amount of calcium sulphate pellets and put in closet.

OfflineKidgardFromSRQ
Strange

#4740501 - 10/01/05 09:45 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

u sure u didnt like, trip ona half ounce yesterday and tried the same thing again?

--------------------
Be nice to people in general. Even if you don't like them.

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4740553 - 10/01/05 10:24 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

backupwards said:
say what? and just what does the coffee grounds do for ya except maybe make your shrooms taste like coffee?

LOL! I think he means using a coffee grinder to grind the shrooms down to a powder before putting them in the jars. I have done this and found that the potency is always good because the shrooms are all mixed well, potent or not.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Invisiblebackupwards
peon

Re: Complete loss of potency [Re: FooMan]
    #4740564 - 10/01/05 10:32 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

ahhh, that makes sense. lol

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4740578 - 10/01/05 10:40 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Hey soredog, you know you build a tolerance if you eat shrooms every other day, right?  :wink:

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: Complete loss of potency [Re: FooMan]
    #4740630 - 10/01/05 10:59 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Many factors...Waht you ate could be one...I think the plastic bag was you biggest mistake...If they had ANY moisture in them when you put them in there, then i'm positive that mush of the chemicals were broken down then...And...Drying doesn't do anything to potency...Well, techinally it does break down some on the pysilocybin, i'm certain considering that all my dry trips were hard body trips and all my fresh mushy trips were extremely visual...

As for
Quote:

leave the fan on constantly and they should dry out 100% in only a couple of days.

Where do you live?...:lol:

If I left them out like that they'd rot in about a day or less...lol

I always fan dry for about 12 hours and then stick in desiccant..

Anyways, good luck to ya.

-Gnostic

Offlinesoredog
Stranger
Re: Complete loss of potency [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #4740706 - 10/01/05 11:28 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Just to get the record straight, the reason I noticed that they were no good anymore is that we had a party and just gave them out freely(with recomended doses) and NOBODY got anything from them. I have since tried quadrupling the regular doseage, rehydrating, tea, trying every different batch, etc... so it's not anything simple or stupid. It's not a "too much oxygen exposure" either as we were tripping fine on my first batch (5 months old) and then the next week we couldn't even get a buzz on the mushrooms that were harvested a week prior. As for my normal drying procedure, I fan-dried in a dehydrator with the heating element removed for a day or so just to get the "bulk" of the moisture out before I put them in with the desiccant just so that I wasn't changing the desiccant too often, but never once let them get mushy or mouldy etc.. These were perfectly dried and in the same manner every time with the exception I switched from calcium chloride to calcuium sulfide as desiccant as it was color changing and easier/cleaner to reuse. The heat wave I was talking about happened while I was away for a couple of days and spread green mould throughout my growing chamber and obviously put an end to that (although there had been no evidence of mould before then). How much heat does it theoretically take to kill the potency of dried mushrooms? I want to start over again but want to have this issue solved in case the same thing happens again as you all know that there is a lot of work involved for the whole process. Thanks

Invisiblesrgtm1a
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Complete loss of potency [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #4741292 - 10/01/05 02:35 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

IGnosticAbhorI said:

As for
Quote:

leave the fan on constantly and they should dry out 100% in only a couple of days.

Where do you live?...:lol:

If I left them out like that they'd rot in about a day or less...lol

I always fan dry for about 12 hours and then stick in desiccant..

Anyways, good luck to ya.

-Gnostic

That's how I always do it....never had them rot once....i'm sure they dry quicker than 2 days under the fan, but that's how long i keep them there.  I do it in a room that is constantly at 60F.  I put them on a steel tray and put the fan on them, come back in a couple days, and they are all cracker dry.

I'm sure if you do that in a room with some humidity, sure they will rot.

I've never used desicants, nor will i ever....I don't store them long enough for the need of it.

Invisiblemusher_420
Stranger

Re: Complete loss of potency [Re: srgtm1a]
    #4741703 - 10/01/05 04:39 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Hey man isn't the additive that is used for the colour indiacator toxic?

--------------------
My Humidifier Reservoir Expansion Tek

Must read links for beginners

Btw- You are not what you own!

InvisibleShnezbit
Psycho-naught
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Threshold.
    #4744933 - 10/02/05 10:48 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

yea i was talking about grinding them down to a powder with a coffee grinder and stuffing that powder tight in a glass jar. i have these real tiny jars that fit 3 quarter oz's when packed tight.
i generally dry my shrooms in a dehydrator at 115 degrees and have not noticed any loss of potency, so imho i don't think 90 degree temps would be the reason you notice potency loss.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates