Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePhoenix99
Stranger
 User Gallery
ventilation - necessary?
    #4736714 - 09/30/05 12:42 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Does colonizing mycelium necessarily need air?
I don't have tyvek or polyfill and I don't live in the US. I don't have a pc eighter and nor do I have a microwave.
So I thought about fractional sterilization and then putting the completely sealed (with silicone) jar in a tank.

The only questions I have are related to ventilation and to how to boil the jars.

I think that if I boil them they will crack because of the pressure. Anybody tried this before? Any tips? :evil: :evil: :evil:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinenonphixion
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: ventilation - necessary? [Re: Phoenix99]
    #4737100 - 09/30/05 01:47 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Pressure cookers have much more extreme conditions than an open (or closed) pot of water.

If you don't have polyfill you can use tin foil around the lids instead.

They need air exchange to an extent, yes.

--------------------

OfflinePhoenix99
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: ventilation - necessary? [Re: nonphixion]
    #4737265 - 09/30/05 02:24 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, I know pc are so much betteer but I really can't help it.
I guess I'll use the tinfoil then, but is it really proof? It only keeps the dust out I suppose.
Thanks.

OfflinePhoenix99
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #4737270 - 09/30/05 02:25 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

oh, and I don't have vermiculite eighter. I forgot about this.
It only rises my chances of contams I guess..
|Any solution to this people?

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4737292 - 09/30/05 02:29 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

The foil is fine. My suggestion would be to raise some money and slowly buy the supplies you need before you get into this hobby. You will save yourself alot of headaches and time.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

OfflinePhoenix99
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: ventilation - necessary? [Re: FooMan]
    #4739835 - 10/01/05 01:54 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, I know it would spare me a lot of problrms, but I just can't buy a pc at this time and vermiculite, tyvek or polyfill just can't be found where I live. There is "mineral cotton" used in construction and I guess that would work but I'm not sure I can get that eighter. And I'm very busy this year. Probably next year I'll have more supplies. But I don't want to wait that long.

InvisibleLand_Crab
NeuroticPsychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: U.S.
    #4739977 - 10/01/05 02:38 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Why don't you order some vermiculite? And you have no stove?

OfflinePhoenix99
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: ventilation - necessary? [Re: Land_Crab]
    #4740002 - 10/01/05 02:58 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

It's too complicated to order and I'm in eastern Europe.
I don't know, I might order some. I thought about it too.

And I have a stove, but I don't get your ideea. Care to elaborate?

InvisibleLand_Crab
NeuroticPsychonaut
Male User Gallery

#4740016 - 10/01/05 03:18 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Yes.  You can sterilize the jars by placing them in boiling water for about an hour.  Put a towel in the bottom of the pot, so the jars don't overheat, and fill the water about 2/3rds the way up the jars. (Obviously, make sure the jars are water-tight.)  It worked for me before I got a PC.  :thumbup:

And you should really try to get some vermiculite.  It's very useful, not only as a substrate, but for sealing in moisture with cakes and casings.

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4740117 - 10/01/05 04:47 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Depending on where you are in eastern europe, you may be able to order a kit that is ready to fruit online.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

OfflinePhoenix99
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: ventilation - necessary? [Re: FooMan]
    #4740222 - 10/01/05 05:57 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Hey, Land Crab, that's exactly what I wanted to do.
If you've done it before did you simmer them, and how many times did you boil them?

I could try to soak the millet for 24h in 50/50 water/coffe and then just put it into the jar and boil it with tinfoil over it. Or do I have to put water alongside the millet too?
I don't get this, because I read in a tek 20% should be water and I think thaat's a reason why my jars have gone to hell.

OfflinePhoenix99
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #4740751 - 10/01/05 11:52 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Hoooooray, I got myuself a pc!!!
Someone will lend me one.

How much should I pc the jar? To the best of my knowledge it's 15min, but I'm asking just to make sure. Sorry if I'm a pain in the ass.

And I'm also curious if the jar will colonize if I seal it off. In the previous tek I used it said to tape the holes.

InvisibleLand_Crab
NeuroticPsychonaut
Male User Gallery

#4740962 - 10/01/05 01:13 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

It's 45 minutes at 15 p.s.i. (pounds per square inch), which is 121 degrees C. I havn't done grains before, so someone else might help with that if you need it. Plus there's tons of info on this site.

OfflineNilsen9491
SuperNoob
 User Gallery

Re: ventilation - necessary? [Re: Land_Crab]
    #4743827 - 10/02/05 01:03 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

When I first got into this hobby, I did jsut about everything wrong that I could possibly do wrong, including not using vermiculite. I went into the store and saw Perlite, and said, "Hey, I think I've heard of that too!" So I used that instead of verm in my jars and they worked fine. If you got spore syringes to spare and don't mind expirementing, find something that "holds moisture." This is the primary function of perlite and vermiculite. I guess it boils down to how willing you are to find something that works.

--------------------
Big Mike

OfflinePhoenix99
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: ventilation - necessary? [Re: Nilsen9491]
    #4744476 - 10/02/05 07:09 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, I also did many mistakes my first time but unfortunately ut didn't work out for me. And I don't have a syringe to spare. I have already "spared" 6,3cc and I only have left 3,5cc. And I can't order another syringe, only prints. Btw, is it complicated to work with prints?

I almost got it all figured out until now. I won't simmer, I will just soak them in water and coffer.

The question that still remains is - what should I put in the jar?
The grains, certainly. But what about water? Some say I should put 50% of the millet water and some say that if I soak them it's enough.
Is it ok if I don't put anymore water?

And another question still unanswered - if I seal the jar will the myc still grow? I don't care if it will take longer, this would spare me to find something for polyfill and verm.

I think I'll order some verm online, but it takes a month to arrive and I'm not willing to order it right now and nor am I willing to wait that long.

Offlinewillmafingerdo
the noob
Male User Gallery

#4744914 - 10/02/05 10:39 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Phoenix99 said:
The question that still remains is - what should I put in the jar?
The grains, certainly. But what about water? Some say I should put 50% of the millet water and some say that if I soak them it's enough.
Is it ok if I don't put anymore water?

And another question still unanswered - if I seal the jar will the myc still grow? I don't care if it will take longer, this would spare me to find something for polyfill and verm.

i soak my grain for 24 hrs then simmer for 1 hr and PC for 45 min at 15 psi.

no you cant seal the jars up compleatly, the mycilum will die.. then need to breath to. do you own a pillow, or a heavy blanket, sleeping bag.. if you need polyfill you can get them out of these items. just cut a hole in it and pull some out.. you dont need alot just enough to plug up a lil hole.. and if your doing grain you dont "need" verm but i found it dose seem to help.. so you could start some grain now and order your verm and by the time it gets to you you should be ready for your next round..

--------------------
:scaryshroom: :shitstorm: :mattz: :bongload: :gethigh: :scaryshroom:

I am not lost.. i am going there looking for it.. and when i get there and find it, i will know what it is..

"The way to stop violence is not to go out and let your head be beaten in but to say, you want to take my life risk yours!"

"are you sure u want to eat all them shrooms??"  "yes i want to hear what my mind has to say..."

remember opions are like assholes, everyone has one and they all stink.

OfflinePhoenix99
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: ventilation - necessary? [Re: willmafingerdo]
    #4745232 - 10/02/05 12:41 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

willmafingerdo said:

i soak my grain for 24 hrs then simmer for 1 hr and PC for 45 min at 15 psi.

So I understand you put no water with the grains. Am I right?  It makes sense to me - they're saturated with water.

Quote:

willmafingerdo said:
no you cant seal the jars up compleatly, the mycilum will die.. then need to breath to.  do you own a pillow, or a heavy blanket, sleeping bag.. if you need polyfill you can get them out of these items.  just cut a hole in it and pull some out.. you dont need alot just enough to plug up a lil hole..  and if your doing grain you dont "need" verm but i found it dose seem to help.. so you could start some grain now and order your verm and by the time it gets to you you should be ready for your next round..

That's exactly what I planned on doing. And I think I'll order some cactus seeds along with that vermiculite too. Is 7$ for 1 gallon all right? They sell the san pedro seeds really cheap - 150+ for 14$.

My pillows aren't filled with polyfill. I think I'll try to buy soem used in constructions.

Thanks a lot everybody :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

OfflinePhoenix99
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #4748283 - 10/03/05 05:24 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Last question - After you simmer them you don't put water in the jars too, right?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals