Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinebuggers
Mushroom CloudLayin'Motherfucker
 User Gallery

teeny mushies?
    #4738086 - 09/30/05 08:18 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

i was wondering why the mushies on my latest two tubs are maturing so small.
i got a pretty decent pinset - little teeny mushrooms covering the whole surface of two tubs of ban phang ka

I spawned WBS to h-poo and after it was fully colonized i dunked the block and coated the whole thing with about 1/8 inch of dry verm (whatever would stick to the surface)

they were fruited in a martha type fruiting chamber with RH at around 80% and temps around 75 degrees

the substrate is a little over 2 inches thick and there were just a few mushrooms over 1.5 inches tall with a majority about 1 inch.

the first flush off two of these tubs was a little over 1.5 ounces dry

i dunked and then sprinkled a little more dry verm on it to fill in the gaps on the side of the container and any holes left from the harvesting of the first flush. the second flush is coming in and some of them are starting to open the caps at less than a centemeter in height

what's the deal with this?

it might be important to note that the spores i used came from a trade. i was mailed 1 print of ban phang ka and 1 print of Tak mountain. the prints were just on pieces of printer paper folded in half. they were unsealed and mailed together folded in a piece of cardboard. Could the spores from the tak mountain print have found their way to the ban phang ka prints, and i now have two competing strains of mycelium in my substrate blocks?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: teeny mushies? [Re: buggers]
    #4738542 - 09/30/05 09:55 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Did you mist the casing after you added the dry verm? The moisture of the casing plays a big role in mushroom size.

--------------------

Offlinebuggers
 User Gallery

Re: teeny mushies? [Re: FooMan]
    #4738641 - 09/30/05 10:31 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

yes, I supplement the cool mist and ultrasonic fogger with manual misting/fanning.

Offlinebuggers
 User Gallery

#4738809 - 09/30/05 11:24 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

i was just thinking and looking at some pictures.

my fruits look a lot less like these
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4448003/page/0/fpart/1/vc/1 (ban phang ka)

than they look like these in miniature
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3989437/an//page/0/vc/1 (tak mountain)

in fact upon looking at those last pictures on that last thread, the little tiny mushrooms that grew look almost identical to the tak mountain cube. the way the veil comes far down the stem, the rounded caps that flatten out with a wide white ring around the outer edge of the cap

i realize that any given strain could produce a wide variety of mushrooms, but this is just weird.

thanks guys

OfflineCLUTCH
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#4738889 - 09/30/05 11:40 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

It all sounds ok. Except, I would have made the substrate thicker. Around 4" makes for bigger mushies.

Maybe since yours was only 2" thick, it lost most of it's strength by the next flush?

Man... what a shitty way to send a print. Sux for you, but sounds like you got lucky that it grew and hasn't contammed on ya- yet.

Good Luck.
CLUTCH

Offlinebuggers
 User Gallery

Re: teeny mushies? [Re: CLUTCH]
    #4738952 - 09/30/05 11:52 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

i was kinda surprised to get them that way too considering the source. they came directly from the poster of those two links.

i'm not complaining because i did get a decent amount of mushrooms, but i was hoping for more. I've run subs like that and not cased them at all and got way bigger yields.

the second flush is popping up as we speak, and the first flush of a h-poo casing of tak mountain is right next to them in the fruiting chamber. If the tak mountains do the same thing i'm gonna re-label my spore prints i took off the 2 of them that made it to 2 inches tall as ?????.

i did some searching on mixing spores and read that often one strain will dominate and produce smaller fruits. maybe this is what happened to me. (i'm almost convinced, but i'm good at talking myself into things without sufficient information)

thanks for the info

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation