Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleveggie

Loc: Flag
Marijuana beats wheat [CAN]
    #4735335 - 09/30/05 07:34 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Marijuana beats wheat
Canada Goes to Pot
September 30, 2005 - financialexpress.com

Canada's marijuana dealers are converting suburban homes and abandoned warehouses into pot farms, creating a C$10 billion ($8.5 billion) market that's three times the size of the nation's biggest legal crop, wheat.

Cities such as Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto may each have as many as 20,000 pot factories, said Rich Baylin, former national coordinator for the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

Cultivation is rising because penalties are often one-eighth those in the US, and Canadians' acceptance of pot has risen.

"This is a scourge on our communities and a danger to our children," Liberal Party lawmaker Jim Karygiannis said following a raid on a so-called grow-operation in a bungalow about 100 meters (109 yards) from a Toronto elementary school.

The "grow-op" business has created a rift with the US, where police say much of the weed is sold. Efforts by Prime Minister Paul Martin to decriminalize marijuana are a bigger threat to US relations than the softwood-lumber dispute,

according to a Compas Research poll of 146 Canadian chief executives in March.

"The US is taking the border a lot more seriously than in the past," said Tom Riley, spokesman for the White House Office for National Drug Control Policy. The increase in Canadian marijuana production risks harming all trade between the two countries, he said.

Almost half of all adult Canadians smoked pot at least once in their life, according to a survey last year by Health Canada.

The same proportion support decriminalization of possession, compared with a third of their US counterparts, a November Ipsos-Reid poll found.

Organized Crime

While US growers who cultivate 1,000 or more plants face a minimum of 10 years in prison, their counterparts in Ontario, Canada's most populous province, get about 18 months, according to government figures.

"We know the volume of these grow operations is growing," said Jack Ewatski, president of the Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police. "That leads us to believe this is an enterprise that organized crime groups are looking at as very lucrative with very low risk of any meaningful consequences."'

Pot stories have been a staple of newspapers such as the Globe and Mail and the Vancouver Sun, covering drug busts and the fight by legalization activist Marc Emery to avoid extradition to the US He faces life in prison if convicted after a July arrest for selling marijuana seeds.

Grow operations across the country are producing strains of the drug with two or three times as many hallucinogenic chemicals as marijuana from Mexico, the biggest supplier to the US, according to the US Drug Enforcement Agency. Police last year raided a grow op north of Toronto that filled a three-story building once used as a brewery by Molson Inc.

Skunk-Like Smell

Residential marijuana operations have become so common that real-estate agents offer homebuyers advice on how to avoid them.

Tell-tale signs include covered windows, a "skunk-like" smell outside and bright lights inside the home, according to a guide from the Winnipeg Real Estate Board. The group posts the addresses of grow op homes on its Web site, and already has identified 49 addresses this year.

Canada's annual pot harvest is as much as 5.3 million pounds, according to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, with seizures rising eightfold since 1993 to about 1.6 million plants this year. Seizures at the US border tripled in two years to 11,183 kilograms in 2003, according to the latest data from the US National Drug Intelligence Center.

Pound Blocks

The merchandise is typically sold in pound blocks for about C$2,500 each, much of it stuffed into duffel bags or loaded onto trucks for export over Canada's 5,525-mile border with the US, police say.

The government's legalization bill may be delayed beyond next year's election because parliament may have too much work to do on other legislation, Justice Minister Irwin Cotler told reporters on Sept. 27.

The delay suggests Canada's government has grown wary of decriminalizing marijuana possession, White House spokesman Riley said.

"I wonder if more people in Canada are catching up to the reality" of the dangers of drugs, he said.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblepeepeepottypants
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Marijuana beats wheat [CAN] [Re: veggie]
    #4735517 - 09/30/05 09:53 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

"I wonder if more people in Canada are catching up to the reality" of the dangers of drugs, he said.

Yeah, cmon Canada, if the US says its dangerous its gotta be.

OfflineIgnatiusJReilly
Up From Sloth
Male

Loc: LA
Re: Marijuana beats wheat [CAN] [Re: peepeepottypants]
    #4736011 - 09/30/05 12:16 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

'cuz the U.S. is like, so much more progressive than Canada, like...

--------------------
"A Bad Day for Pants"

OfflineWysefool
I AM SKELETON JELLY
Male User Gallery
Re: Marijuana beats wheat [CAN] [Re: IgnatiusJReilly]
    #4739550 - 10/01/05 02:26 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

The only reason we haven't made it legal is that if we do the USA will retaliate. :frown:

--------------------
GET MAD SWAG MONEY BIG PIMPIN

OfflineShdwstr
FSRCanada
Male

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Marijuana beats wheat [CAN] [Re: Wysefool]
    #4740418 - 10/01/05 11:07 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Wysefool said:
The only reason we haven't made it legal is that if we do the USA will retaliate. :frown:

I say, let them.
What will they do... Stop buying our oil, lumber, water, power, raw materials, etc etc?
It's about time the majority of Canadians that support the decriminalization/legalization got results from the Canadian Government, instead of having it fold under US pressure of a failed drug policy.

And I don't even like pot!  :crazy:

InvisibleJim
 User Gallery

#4741085 - 10/01/05 03:42 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.

With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!

From far and wide,
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

God keep our land glorious and free!

--------------------
Use the Fucking Reply To Feature You Lazy Pieces of Shit!

afoaf said:
Jim, if you were in my city, I would let you fuck my wife.

InvisibleLakefingers

Loc: mumuland
Re: Marijuana beats wheat [CAN] [Re: Shdwstr]
    #4741104 - 10/01/05 03:46 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, Canada would fall. Afterall it's such a tiny nation and it needs big brother USA.
How would Canada survive when it has 100 times more resources than most European nations and has a population of a tiny...33 million.
What's the US going to do? Bomb Canada for legalizing marijuana? And doesn't the knowledge, that illegal cannabis production brings in more than wheat does per year, give some politians ideas of a brighter future for Canada?

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
    #4748894 - 10/03/05 01:06 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Canada's annual pot harvest is as much as 5.3 million pounds, according to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, with seizures rising eightfold since 1993 to about 1.6 million plants this year.

Since I'm sure this is an UNDERestimate, I have only one thing to say...

Thats ALOT of fucking weed.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service