Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Cultivation story/questions
    #4734449 - 09/30/05 01:50 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

well hello shroomery community. i finally signed up so now i can post and actually use the msg board. i just got done with my first ever flush so i guess i can tell how it went.

so yea i read and read and read about how to do basically everything but took very few precautions my first time. i guess i was being a little naive. to begin i purchased my presterilzed, nonpierced cans from mycomonsters ebay store. something like $2.50 per jar (after shipping). i purchased a 4 pack of mexican strain cubes from sporeworks. came out to just over $10/syringe.

to begin i shut the air off in my room but hadn't invested in any oust or lysol, nor did ihave a glove box or anything like that. simply washed my hands, killed the ac, used lysol disinfectant wipes to wipe off jar exteriors and lids, and flame sterlized (?) the syringe. i put the q mark bc i just used a lighter for a couple of seconds. i imagine a cotton ball w/ alcohol flame would've been better. i flamed a nail and used that w/ a hammer to pierce my jars. all of this was performed in the middle of my dorm room.

needless to say the results were horrible. success rate < 35%!!! ouch! 4 jars out of 12 :(

kept the jars in a shoe box for about a week while they colonized, checking occasionally for contams and removing jars as needed. this alone prob introduced more contam.

the 4 jars that did fully colonize w/o contams i cold shocked by placing in fridge for 24 hrs at first signs of primordia. then placed on cookie drying rack (to keep off pearlite) in clear sterlite container w/ pearlite, h202/water mist. few days go by and growth begins. had several aborts and im not too sure if they're ok. the tops were kinda dark (not golden, or brown, but a light black) but i could push them as tho trying to remove them from stipe and they would stay put. they also smelled like mush and not... gross. i dunno. any input there would be appreciated.

the shrooms that did grow had mycelium growing up the stipe and even on parts of the cap for a bit. not too sure how cool this is. im just really hoping its myc. and not some odd contam i've never heard of that'll make me sick when i trip. i fanned prob 2-3 times daily. when i squeeze the myc should it turn blue? sometimes mine wouldn't!?!?

4 jars on first flush produced 14 grams of crispy dry shrooms. another q i have is how dry should i dry them? i've heard crispy/ cracker dry but i think i might've dried them too much. just used damprid in a smaller sterlite box.

after first flush i picked all shrooms & aborts and "dunked" in my fridge for 24 hrs in faucet water. held them under water w/ a solo cup and a peanut butter jar :)

well that's that basically. seems weird that the jars only made 1-4 caps a piece. i guess i was expecting a little more. 2nd flush hasn't started yet.

for my malabar's and penis envy's im considering casing... any inputs? i'll prob have to just pasteurize the casing material w/ boiling water bc i've no pressure cooker.

be clean! i was a definite dumb f*** for being soo naive about contams. turns out my dorm room has all kinds of shit just waiting to eat my jars. got some nice green, grey, and yellow molds on some jars. :(

one last question.
instead of a glove box how about a large clear trash bag? im thinkin, put the jars in bag along w/ presterilzed syringes wrapped in iso alc. paper towel. also i've invested in a window punch to make can piercing easier (hammer+nail.... c'mon now!) just open the bag nice and big. spray the hell outta it w/ lysol & oust and then squeeze as much air out as possible. after that just grab everything with the plastic.

if this doesn't work im makin a glove box.

should i put any kind of cover over my jars while they colonize? my last ones i just set in a shoe box w/ nothing covering the holes.....
whatcha think?

sry for no pics but i lack a dig.

one love,

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
One of thosefriendly crazies

Loc: Can't guess from the whit...
Re: Cultivation story/questions [Re: MycoMattAtUM]
    #4734507 - 09/30/05 02:01 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Ok, did you pressure cook your jars? I am not very clean and i have never had contams, but i pressure cook, that could be the difference. I hear there are regional differences too, so that could be it. Don't try casing untill you are doing good with cakes, casing gives you more risks with contams. your trash bag question.. i don't really get what you mean, you shouldn't be touching anything that gets into contact with your substrate. Did you use a layer of verm on top of your jars? are you using the PFtek? sorry if any of my questions were answered in your post i read most of it but i skimmed some parts.

I'm one of those hugging crazies, as opposed to the stabbin' crazies

Re: Cultivation story/questions [Re: PsychosMind]
    #4735037 - 09/30/05 04:24 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

One thing I did before I invested in a glove box. Believe me, it is an investment because it'll do you lots of good. I used a garbage bag like you said. But, instead of manipulating everything from the outside, I would just open it just enough to reach my hands in there. It wasn't perfect, but it got the job done.

About your aborts being black, that's normal. The caps usually turn black after they abort. You're not going to die. The white fuzz on your shrooms is mycelium. I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure that's a sign of your humidity being too high. But as I said, I'm not 100% on that.

You do want your shrooms cracker dry. I use damprid in a tupperware too. Works wonderfully.

Keep it up.

Re: Cultivation story/questions [Re: BataviaVakereli]
    #4739340 - 10/01/05 01:19 AM (11 years, 30 days ago)

thanks, yea a friend of mine just had some the other night and said they weren't the strongest ones and that it wasn't that big of a trip, despite 3.5 g im going to pick the next batch before veil tears. i cant wait to try them.

anyone know if eating fresh grown mushrooms is as "divine" as fresh picked ones? i love my fresh picked trips sooooo much. for some reason it seems like everytime i've gone and picked them the trip was soo much better. i think its the whole atmosphere. anyways thanks for the feedback. I saw a post on shroomery that said mycelium on stipe was too high humidity and a site off shroomery said it meant it was too low :/

its 120 am and national ghandi day of service is tom. im sleepy. get out and do something for the less fortunate, they could prob use some help.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation