Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineOvergrown_face
Stranger
A few newb questions if you dont mind...
    #4734267 - 09/29/05 10:58 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

'ello fellow psychedelic freaks!

Let me start off by saying that I'm not entirely a newb when it comes to the basic concept of 'how to grow mushrooms.'

I've had one prior failed attempt...  :frown:  This was a few years ago, so I've re-read the basic tek, but still have a few questions.

First, foremost, and most important, is a light source really necessary?  I want this to be as stealth as possible and so having a window on the top of my container isn't exactly ideal...

If it is absolutely required, would it be possible to place a light inside the container?

I plan on using a decent sized solid color rubber-maid with a lock on lid.  I'll use some thin weather stripping to ensure an airtight seal when the lid is on.  But see I don't want a fucking window on it...  That would enable anyone who happened to open my closet a 'window' into the happenings...  And this is, as I said before, not ideal...

To keep the humidity up I'm going to put a fish tank bubbler inside the container.  I don't need alot of room for the cakes as I don't plan on having more than 4 cakes at a time...

I guess thats it for now.  I'm sure I'll have more questions in the future, but this one is critical to the planning stage...  As I said, this operations must be 100% stealth.

----Peace
'-.-'

Edited by Overgrown_face (09/29/05 10:59 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePsychosMind
One of thosefriendly crazies

Loc: Can't guess from the whit...
Re: A few newb questions if you dont mind... [Re: Overgrown_face]
    #4734288 - 09/29/05 11:03 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

my first grow went great and i just had a blue light inside my closet. I'm sure you'll hear this from other people so i might as well be the first to say it, hiding your grow isn't always smart, and if you are hiding it from your parents then you should respect them. Now that that's out of the way.
you probably won't need a bubbler, just mist once in a while. A little light is necessary but not much. Don't make any of your chambers air tight, air exchange is very very very important. Don't be afraid to ask questions, but don't be afraid to accept suggestions either. Good luck!

--------------------
I'm one of those hugging crazies, as opposed to the stabbin' crazies

OfflineOvergrown_face
Stranger
Re: A few newb questions if you dont mind... [Re: PsychosMind]
    #4734330 - 09/29/05 11:17 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Nah, I'm hiding it from my fascist (college) appartment managers, that and my room mates are total dicks and might turn me in for it...  my parents are 800 miles away :wink:

Either way I accept the risks, and take full responsiblity for my actions.  I'm sure that many would advise me to just wait...  However this is something I'm willing to take a risk on.  And quite honestly, not helping me based on a bias against my situation will only serve to do me more harm as my mind is made up. 

I'm only going to pull one grow.  I've always enjoyed growing my own pot outdoors.  Theres something so much more satisfying about injesting a drug you created yourself.

That being said ::

Would I be able to get away with just putting a lamp in the closet once in while with the lid off (as in while alowing for air exchange)?

Or should I try to figure out some other way to exhange the air?  I'd like to have it as contained as possible so as to not smell up the closet, and from what I've read it would be possible to have a self contained unit...  However I would have to access it atleast once, most likely twice, per day to alow the trapped air to be replaced with fresh air.

During this time they would recieve light.  Would that be enough?

OfflinePsychosMind

#4734336 - 09/29/05 11:20 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I think your odor fears are not well founded. You only notice an odor from mushies if you get reall really close and stick your nose up to the cake (unless there is a contam issue). They mostly smell earthy in my experience, it's very mild.

--------------------

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #4734410 - 09/29/05 11:39 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

its hard to keep your humidity up with the lid off man.  if you truly want to make it stealth just get an opaque container and buy like two of those tap lights at walmart.  Stick the lights on the underside of the lid and you wont have to worry about anything :smile:

--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

i really am glad you came back to us instead of taking the other path. *hug*

-A_S (RIP your final words to me will never be forgotten)

Don't fuck with the laughing jesus.

Offlineoniq
another brick in the wall
Re: A few newb questions if you dont mind... [Re: coda]
    #4734442 - 09/29/05 11:48 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I used an LED light that I powered from my USB connection (so I could remotely turn it off from anywhere in the house, and put a cron script to do the same).  Worked fine :smile:

InvisibleLazyGnome
¬_¬
Male User Gallery

Loc: the layer cake
Re: A few newb questions if you dont mind... [Re: oniq]
    #4734475 - 09/29/05 11:55 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

LEDs are the wrong spectrum of light, use florecents.

--------------------
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, olny taht the frist and lsat ltteres are at the rghit pcleas. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by ilstef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

"Everything that we know and understand comes down to perception, and by altering this perception we shake everything we know. All that you and I can know and understand is what we can see smell hear think touch and so on, and when something like mushrooms or salvia alters this steady perception, it can break reality permanently." - Dihnekis

OfflinePsychosMind

Re: A few newb questions if you dont mind... [Re: LazyGnome]
    #4734477 - 09/29/05 11:55 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

are you sure, i read LED's are what you need...

--------------------

OfflineOvergrown_face
Stranger
    #4734828 - 09/30/05 01:10 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Tap light idea seems killer!

Though I'm not sure what type of light it actually is... Or if that even matters...

I'm sure light spectrum is a topic of debate.

So now my question is how do I deal with air exchange if I'm not going to use the simple take the lid off method.

I cant afford anything fancy... No humidifiers for me, I'm going to go with the damp perlite + spray method. I found a sturdy fine mesh object with about 2" clearance underneath that should work well for supporting the cakes and keeping them off the perlite.

hmm... Do I need to sterilize the perlite?

Does it even sound like I have a chance? or any understanding of what this takes at all...

I'm not so sure I know what I'm doing.

OfflinePsychosMind

#4734835 - 09/30/05 01:13 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

course you have a chance. i agree with the taplight. why don't you wanna fan? i fan like once a day....

--------------------

OfflineOvergrown_face
Stranger
    #4734891 - 09/30/05 01:38 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

ohhhh so you mean I could just open it up once a day and use a fan to suck all the old air out?

Like not take the lid all the way off, but rather just crack it open, stick the fan in the crack (blowing out of course) for a couple of minutes, spray, and be done with it?

OfflineOvergrown_face
Stranger
    #4734898 - 09/30/05 01:40 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

On a side note, I have a nice digital camera that takes hella sweet macro shots, so if I run into any contamination issues, and even if I don't (cross fingers), I'll have some nice photos of this opperation.

OfflinePsychosMind

#4734907 - 09/30/05 01:42 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

yep you can do that,anything to circulate the air. We all look forward to seeing how your grow goes. Actually you aren't the first to post about under-cover growing, so if you are successfull i'm sure it will be usefull to many people.

--------------------

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4735512 - 09/30/05 07:52 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Overgrown_face said:
Tap light idea seems killer!

Tap lights suck, not because of the spectrum, but because of the life of the batteries. The batteries only last for about 8- 12 hours of continuous operation.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

OfflineBamaman
...has issues.

Loc: Down the rabbit hole...
Re: A few newb questions if you dont mind... [Re: FooMan]
    #4735621 - 09/30/05 08:39 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

hmmm....put a lock on your closet, then do whatever the hell you want in there.

if privacy is an issue then it will be more than hiding ONE tub. you have your incubating, fruiting and drying stages. doing only 4 jars at a time may make it easy for you to convert your incubator into a fruiting chamber(FC).

but, as those guys mature you are still gonna need to dry your shrooms while you are still fruiting others. you can't dry them in the FC while your still growing.... which means you will need more than just ONE tub of space at the same time.

--------------------
Diabetes causes hamsters.

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #4735774 - 09/30/05 09:20 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Overgrown_face said:
ohhhh so you mean I could just open it up once a day and use a fan to suck all the old air out?

Like not take the lid all the way off, but rather just crack it open, stick the fan in the crack (blowing out of course) for a couple of minutes, spray, and be done with it?

your gonna want to have more (FAE) fresh air exchanges than that.
if you don't...your fruits are going to suffer.

tc

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

OfflineOvergrown_face
Stranger
Re: A few newb questions if you dont mind... [Re: Roadkill]
    #4738610 - 09/30/05 08:23 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Roadkill said:
Quote:

Overgrown_face said:

your gonna want to have more (FAE) fresh air exchanges than that.
if you don't...your fruits are going to suffer.

tc

Then I'll just have to do it twice a day :wink:

Once in the morning, and once in the evening.  That wont me a problem.

Unless you have a better way/idea...  One that doesnt require anything fancy or expensive...

OfflineOvergrown_face
Stranger
Re: A few newb questions if you dont mind... [Re: Bamaman]
    #4738680 - 09/30/05 08:43 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Bamaman said:
hmmm....put a lock on your closet, then do whatever the hell you want in there.

if privacy is an issue then it will be more than hiding ONE tub. you have your incubating, fruiting and drying stages. doing only 4 jars at a time may make it easy for you to convert your incubator into a fruiting chamber(FC).

but, as those guys mature you are still gonna need to dry your shrooms while you are still fruiting others. you can't dry them in the FC while your still growing.... which means you will need more than just ONE tub of space at the same time.

It wont be a problem to make my incubation area into the fruiting chamber.

Nor will it be a problem to have a separate area to dry the first flushes.

I already have a bunch of misc. shape/size rubbermaid containers in my closet, so two more shouldnt be anything noticeable.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck