Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineAngeloWish
Sr. Mydriasis

Loc: MEXICO-Mushroom Capital
PC not rocking
    #4734168 - 09/30/05 12:38 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Hello... well i'm so noob i don't even know how what is happening to my pressure cooker. Here is how i did it:

- my jars in, sitting on towel, water (1/3), etc.
- put it on fire
- wait for the steam to come out
- put on the little rocking thing (don?t know its name in english)
- wait for it to rock so i can lower fire
- wait for it to rock
- wait...

30+ mins and not rocking, suddenly it finally moves a little then not moving again (keeps doing this for a while), i lower fire to 3/4. 10+ mins and it suddenly liberates a big cloud of steam, i guess it was just too much. I use a spoon to fix it and now it keeps... not rocking ... 1 hour since i began and no rocking, i decide it is too much time and i have to go to bed.

I let cool overnight, next day i inoculate them and store in dark, warm place (around 70). 2 days later i have 3 stinky jars (BR) with wet grain... smells like fermentation and looks slimy.
Bacteria i guess... so i am going to start over but...

1.- Is my PC allright? not rocking? i have done some testing after this and i can't make it rock after 40 mins+ of high flame. The thing that rocks is ok, i can make it rock with my finger if i want, it is not stucked. I bought this PC from a garage sell, it was new they said (and it looks like it is), only that i have no manual.

2.- If it doesn?t rock, is there any way i can use it for sterilization anyway? i mean like letting it build pressure and releasing it manually... maybe this is crazy, but... well i don?t know.

Thanks all for your time an patience. Sorry bout my english :smile:
I'd apreciate anyone's help/advice with this.

Some extra info:

-PC size: small (just 3 jars fit in).
-Water in the PC after 1 hour of "not rocking": almost gone.
-Fire during process: First 30 mins Full Power, then 3/4.

--------------------
+'this' reality is the one i like the most+

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinejohnjohnandjamal
Stranger

Re: PC not rocking [Re: AngeloWish]
    #4734425 - 09/30/05 01:44 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

If the water is gone after an hour, I'd say that the pressure cooker doesn't make a proper seal. The rocking is to indicate that it is at 15psi. This is the desired pressure for sterlization. If it isn't rocking, than your jars are probably not sterilized.

OfflineKotton
Manic Hispanic

Re: PC not rocking [Re: johnjohnandjamal]
    #4734451 - 09/30/05 01:50 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Bad seal... Shitty PC.

--------------------
:scaryshroom:  :lovemeds::scaryshroom:

OfflineMikeOLogical
Doctor ofShroomology
 User Gallery

Loc: florida
Re: PC not rocking [Re: Kotton]
    #4734545 - 09/30/05 02:09 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

clean out the stem that the rocker sits on to make sure it's not obstructed, and clean the rubber seal ring...

if the stem is unobstructed and the seal clean, then you have either not enough water or not enough flame...

is there a pressure guage on your pc? what make is it and how many quarts does it hold?

--------------------
We got Nothing!
we're no longer selling jars.  :laugh:

OfflineAngeloWish
Sr. Mydriasis

Re: PC not rocking [Re: MikeOLogical]
    #4735387 - 09/30/05 08:38 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks for the answers guys let me tell you that the seal seems to be ok (and new), any way, no steam comes out from the lid or any other place. The stem is unobstructed and it surely gets the steam out (that's how water evaporates) but it won't do any rocking, instead it is constantly steaming (instead of bshh bshh bshh(rocking)... it is like bshhhhhhhhh all the time.

thanks again, i hope there is something i could do.

--------------------

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
    #4735408 - 09/30/05 08:53 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

If it's hissing constantly then there is too much pressure. You said in your origional post that you got it too rock, and then rock every now and again. That is pretty much what you want. If your PC rocker is hissing every second or so then that is too much in my opinion and is wasting energy. I like it to rock about every minuet or so.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

OfflineAngeloWish
Sr. Mydriasis

#4735418 - 09/30/05 09:00 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Exactly that is what seems to be happening, but how to fix it?

--------------------

InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth
Trusted Cultivator
    #4735439 - 09/30/05 09:15 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

You fix it by lowering the heat. I have an old Mirro PC that does the same thing. Older PC's just suck (except AA's). You want to wait until you hear that first jiggle or rocking, then lower your temp down to medium or so. You want the weight to gently hiss. It may not rock. Mine says to get the temperature to where it only rocks 1-2 times a minute. I've tried that and no matter how much I adjust it, it will either rock too much or not rock at all. Just adjust the temperature to get it to lightly hiss and you'll be fine. :thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineAngeloWish
Sr. Mydriasis

#4735454 - 09/30/05 09:24 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

ok i?ll try that and let u guys know, thanks a lot.

--------------------

InvisibleTomandjerry58
Stranger
Re: PC not rocking [Re: FooMan]
    #4735486 - 09/30/05 09:37 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

a good pc is key to sterilizing grain jars. i bought my first pc at a flea market and it only worked once. and it burnt the bottom of the jars. but the white stuff still grew. and the other 15 times i tried it. the stinky was there in about three days.
you also really need the manual with ur pc. its kind of dangerous to operate one if ur a begginer and never used before. and to add to that you don't have the manual.

i don't mean to shame you..... we all started somewhere.

my advice... save the money to get a small all american. or just one with a guage to read the psi level.

normally the route this psyconaut uses takes about three hours. so you have to be patient with the pc. it takes 30 min for me to even here a hiss.and then another 1.5 hours of pcing. thats on top of the 40 mi simmer and 30 min drain.

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: PC not rocking [Re: Tomandjerry58]
    #4735537 - 09/30/05 10:10 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

You dont have to have one with a gauge in my opinion. I started out with one that i bought from wally world (the best placce to buy drug growing supplies in my opinion) that was a presto or something like that. It had a rocker and it worked just fine for a number of years. If you have the money to do it, then by all means go for it. But it is not a necessary thing.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

Invisibledemiu5
humans, lol
 User Gallery

Loc: the popcorn stadium Flag
Re: PC not rocking [Re: hawksapprentice]
    #4735589 - 09/30/05 10:27 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

My rocker doesn't "rock" but every few times I cook with it. This is how I operate mine. It is a Mirro 12qt. I put it on the stove for high for about 5 min. before screwing on the rocker. Then put the rocker on and wait for a decent amount of steady steam, usually takes between 15-25 mins., before I put the heat on Medium-Low or the one lower than that. Then let the cooker sit there for an hour or more. And I haven't had problems so far.

OfflineAngeloWish
Sr. Mydriasis

Oh i see [Re: demiu5]
    #4735599 - 09/30/05 10:34 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Well thanks for all this comments, actually my GF says she knows a store where they sell PCs exactly like mine, so maybe i'll go there and ask for the manual and read/take notes :wink: I really found all your words useful and interesting. I really apreciate your assistance. I'll let you know when i get it to work.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation